Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/22 Cheering, Venting, & Going For 10 in a Row

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

4/22 Cheering, Venting, & Going For 10 in a Row

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:03 am

I have to say that there hasn't been a more enjoyable two and a half weeks, consecutively, of watching Mets baseball, than these first of the 2015 season. I've watched the majority of all but one game, because I was at a wedding, and I truly, truly hope that the Mets are able to continue to be relevant, and push for the playoffs all season. Being a Mets fan is a true form of torture and misery, that few outside of Cubs fans can truly appreciate and understand, so this brief moment of hope, the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel (only to be crushed into smithereens in the near future, if the past holds true) has made April just awesome. Today the Mets go for their 10th straight Win, try to remain undefeated at Home, with Dillon Gee toeing the rubber against Eric Stults. To say I'm at full mast would be the understatement of the day.

Beyond that, have you been reading the Cafe's daily articles? If not, you should definitely check them out (and direct people to come back to the forums; we miss them!). Jason Guilbault's NL Waiver Wire yesterday, and Monday's Injury Roundup are just a small screenshot of the quality pieces the Cafe is churning out every day now.

Anyway, onward... pitchers I'm paying most attention to marked in red. Some genuine Aces. Some potential value arms. And one guy trying to get his team their 10th consecutive W...

Today's Match Ups:

AL

Cleveland Indians at Chicago White Sox, 2:10 pm
(R) Corey Kluber (0-1) vs. (R) Jeff Samardzija (0-1)

Baltimore Orioles at Toronto Blue Jays, 7:07 pm
(R) Ubaldo Jimenez (1-0) vs. (R) Aaron Sanchez (0-2)

New York Yankees at Detroit Tigers, 7:08 pm
(R) Adam Warren (0-1) vs. (L) David Price (1-0)

Boston Red Sox at Tampa Bay Rays, 7:10 pm
(R) Joe Kelly (1-0) vs. (R) Nathan Karns (1-1)

Minnesota Twins at Kansas City Royals, 8:10 pm
(R) Mike Pelfrey (0-0) vs. (R) Jeremy Guthrie (1-0)

Oakland Athletics at LA Angels of Anaheim, 10:05 pm
(R) Sonny Gray (1-0) vs. (R) Jered Weaver (0-2)

Houston Astros at Seattle Mariners, 10:10 pm
(R) Roberto Hernandez (0-1) vs. (L) J.A. Happ (0-1)

IL

Texas Rangers at Arizona Diamondbacks, 9:40 pm
(R) Yovani Gallardo (2-1) vs. (R) Archie Bradley (1-0)

NL

Chicago Cubs at Pittsburgh Pirates, 7:05 pm
(R) Jason Hammel (1-0) vs. (R) Vance Worley (1-1)

St. Louis Cardinals at Washington Nationals, 7:05 pm
(R) John Lackey (1-0) vs. (R) Doug Fister (1-0)

Miami Marlins at Philadelphia Phillies, 7:05 pm
(R) Jarred Cosart (0-1) vs. (L) Cole Hamels (0-2)

Atlanta Braves at New York Mets, 7:10 pm
(L) Eric Stults (0-1) vs. (R) Dillon Gee (0-1)

Cincinnati Reds at Milwaukee Brewers, 8:10 pm
(R) Johnny Cueto (0-2) vs. (R) Jimmy Nelson (1-1)

San Diego Padres at Colorado Rockies, 8:40 pm
(R) James Shields (2-0) vs. (R) Kyle Kendrick (1-2)

Los Angeles Dodgers at San Francisco Giants, 10:15 pm
(L) Clayton Kershaw (1-1) vs. (L) Madison Bumgarner (1-1)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/22 Cheering, Venting, & Going For 10 in a Row

Postby ayebatter » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:40 am

0rt I'm not really a Mets fan but I did win $100 on their 1969 World Series win. ;-D

As far as today is concerned here's hoping Samardzija shows some of what he had last year. !+)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:03 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Being a Mets fan is a true form of torture and misery, that few outside of Cubs fans can truly appreciate and understand, so this brief moment of hope, the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel (only to be crushed into smithereens in the near future, if the past holds true) has made April just awesome.

Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs fan, The Loveable Losers

Yeah, I feel your pain. :)

As for my pick of the day, this is when the smoke and mirrors of Ubaldo Jimenez finely stops working. A road game at Toronto against a Blue Jays team that seems to have found the live chicken for Jobu last night...he's getting shelled. Me and my 3-8-3 record say you can take that one to the bank! ;-7
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:57 pm

It's amazing how so early in the season one game can totally change how you're feeling about a guy. Yesterday I was feeling so meh about Prince Fielder, and suddenly he hits a HR, and I look and he's batting .385 with 9 RBI, and I'm like he's back babay!!! Also, don't look now but Robinson Cano is riding an 8 game hitting streak where he has gone 14-for-33 (.424). 5 of his 6 RBI, and 6 R in that 8 Game stretch.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby eatyun » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:34 pm

bigh0rt wrote:It's amazing how so early in the season one game can totally change how you're feeling about a guy. Yesterday I was feeling so meh about Prince Fielder, and suddenly he hits a HR, and I look and he's batting .385 with 9 RBI, and I'm like he's back babay!!! Also, don't look now but Robinson Cano is riding an 8 game hitting streak where he has gone 14-for-33 (.424). 5 of his 6 RBI, and 6 R in that 8 Game stretch.

Matt Holliday has got a hit every game he has played so far this year, including a 4-for-4 last night, If he can sustain this into the 2nd half (where he always shines) I think he could be a legit MVP candidate
eatyun
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1703)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:35 pm

eatyun wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:It's amazing how so early in the season one game can totally change how you're feeling about a guy. Yesterday I was feeling so meh about Prince Fielder, and suddenly he hits a HR, and I look and he's batting .385 with 9 RBI, and I'm like he's back babay!!! Also, don't look now but Robinson Cano is riding an 8 game hitting streak where he has gone 14-for-33 (.424). 5 of his 6 RBI, and 6 R in that 8 Game stretch.

Matt Holliday has got a hit every game he has played so far this year, including a 4-for-4 last night, If he can sustain this into the 2nd half (where he always shines) I think he could be a legit MVP candidate

I fully expect Holliday to start having nagging injuries that cause him to miss sporadic time and have a miserable 4 - 6 week stretch of play. He's a guy who I've owned in the past and can be just maddening. When I look and see he played 156 games last year, I refuse to even believe it. Not because he's always on the DL, cause he just about never is; but because I feel like he's always got ailments that have him exiting games early, playing at 75%, etc.

Beyond that, I don't think he's a realistic MVP candidate. Doesn't hit enough HR. MVP voters LOVE Home Runs and Stolen Bases. Guys like McCutchen, Stanton, Adrian Gonzalez should he continue to his dingers, etc. Holliday could end up having tremendous value, though.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:38 pm

Jason Hammel being a dog to Vance Worley today is disheartening. In other news, I'm relying more on Jason Hammel's success than I'm comfortable with.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:41 pm

eatyun wrote:Matt Holliday has got a hit every game he has played so far this year, including a 4-for-4 last night, If he can sustain this into the 2nd half (where he always shines) I think he could be a legit MVP candidate

If he can sustain this into the 2nd half, we're talking at least an 81-game hit streak. That would, in fact, be pretty baller.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:26 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Jason Hammel being a dog to Vance Worley today is disheartening. In other news, I'm relying more on Jason Hammel's success than I'm comfortable with.

I'm right with you...I've got Hammel as an SP2 in far too many auction leagues this year. !+)
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:09 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
eatyun wrote:Matt Holliday has got a hit every game he has played so far this year, including a 4-for-4 last night, If he can sustain this into the 2nd half (where he always shines) I think he could be a legit MVP candidate

If he can sustain this into the 2nd half, we're talking at least an 81-game hit streak. That would, in fact, be pretty baller.

Joey Votto is on pace for 130R's, 69 HR's, 150 RBI's, 23 SB's, .377 BA

Now that is an MVP candidate. I'm just thrilled that Holliday doesn't look like he's going to plummet off of the cliff that many players do when they hit 35. I'm ecstatic that Votto is back and I have it in writing that he was a buy before the season.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers