Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/20 Cheering - Venting & Smoking

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

4/20 Cheering - Venting & Smoking

Postby ayebatter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:42 am

HOT..... AS IN THE METS ARE SMOKING HOT .......
:-b

Monday 4/20

AL

Baltimore Orioles at Boston Red Sox

(L) Wei-Yin Chen (0-0) vs. (R) Justin Masterson (1-0)

New York Yankees at Detroit Tigers
(L) CC Sabathia (0-2) vs. (R) Alfredo Simon (2-0)

Cleveland Indians at Chicago White Sox

(R) Trevor Bauer (2-0) vs. (L) John Danks (0-2)

Minnesota Twins at Kansas City Royals
(R) Kyle Gibson (1-1) vs. (R) Edinson Volquez (1-1)

Oakland Athletics at LA Angels of Anaheim

(R) Kendall Graveman (1-1) vs. (R) Matt Shoemaker (2-0)

Houston Astros at Seattle Mariners

(R) Asher Wojciechowski (0-1) vs. (R) Hisashi Iwakuma (0-1)

NL

Chicago Cubs at Pittsburgh Pirates

(R) Jake Arrieta (1-1) vs. (R) A.J. Burnett (0-1)

Cincinnati Reds at Milwaukee Brewers
(R) Anthony DeSclafani (1-0) vs. (R) Wily Peralta (0-1)

San Diego Padres at Colorado Rockies

(R) Odrisamer Despaigne (1-0) vs. (L) Jorge De La Rosa (0-0)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/20 Cheering - Venting & Smoking

Postby ayebatter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:43 am

The Daily MLB Slate Breakdown:

viewtopic.php?f=341&t=491467
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:22 am

I've got very few shares of him so I feel comfortable in putting the hex on him...

I'll bring my 1-7-3 pick record into week 3 and make my first fearless prediction of the week:

Anthony DeSclafani and his new-found changeup continues its dominant start to the season by dominating the woeful Brewers. It can't really be called a fearless prediction though if I only pick a QS so let's say he gives up 2 or less ER in 6+ip.

Bonus pick that should be so obvious that it will now clearly be hexed by my terrible picking - the right-handed heavy San Diego Padres lineup goes off and blows up lefty Jorge De La Rosa at Coors for 6+ runs in the game (not necessarily all off of JdlR - he might not make it far enough).
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:09 pm

I'm 0 - 2 in my main H2H Points League, and the champ is staggering! Hoping that it's just some early jitters that guys will shake; Iwakuma, Walker, A. Gordon, Heyward... :-o
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:06 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm 0 - 2 in my main H2H Points League, and the champ is staggering! Hoping that it's just some early jitters that guys will shake; Iwakuma, Walker, A. Gordon, Heyward... :-o

Heyward worries me in that we (in the broad sense meaning fantasy baseball people in general) tend to wishcast a bit. "Well, this guy has this talent or that talent...he's going to break out now because (insert reason here)". We have a tendency to always want to be the smartest person in the room and pick that breakout guy every year. Jason Heyward's never been able to consistently produce and yet, like moths to a flame, we always keep waiting for him to be the guy we all know he'd be, if he just put everything together. "Just look at 2012 - he was only 22/23 years old and he was sooooo good. If he just gets back to being that guy, look out!" Unfortunately that's not how it always works. A lot of times a guy is who he is - warts, inconsistencies, and all.

PS - this is coming from a guy that rolled the dice on both Elvis Andrus and Jason Heyward as part of a rebuild in a 14-team keeper league where we only keep 6 guys. I was all in on Andrus, Heyward, Starling Marte, Christian Yelich, the whole lot of them. I'm not willing to cut bait on any of them this year, mostly because I have nothing to lose in giving them the entire year as I'm rebuilding and already committed to a losing season. That said, wishcasting is a dangerous game. !+)

EDIT: This goes double for the Joc Pederson's, Kris Bryant's, Micah Johnson's, etc, who've never even had major league at bats (or stunk in a September call-up). I remember when Alex Gordon was going to be the second coming of Albert Pujols and was going to catapult my fantasy team to the top when I called him up from my prospect list. He was fringe playable in 2007 and 2008 and unrosterable in 2009 and 2010. It wasn't until 2011 that he became a viable fantasy option. We expect so much of young players and when we hit - when we get it right - the return is huge, even in redraft leagues. But we get it wrong way more often than we get it right and oftentimes we're wrong for years before something clicks for the player and we become right. ;)
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:59 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I'm 0 - 2 in my main H2H Points League, and the champ is staggering! Hoping that it's just some early jitters that guys will shake; Iwakuma, Walker, A. Gordon, Heyward... :-o

Heyward worries me in that we (in the broad sense meaning fantasy baseball people in general) tend to wishcast a bit. "Well, this guy has this talent or that talent...he's going to break out now because (insert reason here)". We have a tendency to always want to be the smartest person in the room and pick that breakout guy every year. Jason Heyward's never been able to consistently produce and yet, like moths to a flame, we always keep waiting for him to be the guy we all know he'd be, if he just put everything together. "Just look at 2012 - he was only 22/23 years old and he was sooooo good. If he just gets back to being that guy, look out!" Unfortunately that's not how it always works. A lot of times a guy is who he is - warts, inconsistencies, and all.

PS - this is coming from a guy that rolled the dice on both Elvis Andrus and Jason Heyward as part of a rebuild in a 14-team keeper league where we only keep 6 guys. I was all in on Andrus, Heyward, Starling Marte, Christian Yelich, the whole lot of them. I'm not willing to cut bait on any of them this year, mostly because I have nothing to lose in giving them the entire year as I'm rebuilding and already committed to a losing season. That said, wishcasting is a dangerous game. !+)

EDIT: This goes double for the Joc Pederson's, Kris Bryant's, Micah Johnson's, etc, who've never even had major league at bats (or stunk in a September call-up). I remember when Alex Gordon was going to be the second coming of Albert Pujols and was going to catapult my fantasy team to the top when I called him up from my prospect list. He was fringe playable in 2007 and 2008 and unrosterable in 2009 and 2010. It wasn't until 2011 that he became a viable fantasy option. We expect so much of young players and when we hit - when we get it right - the return is huge, even in redraft leagues. But we get it wrong way more often than we get it right and oftentimes we're wrong for years before something clicks for the player and we become right. ;)

I think it was last season's relative production, the move to a better offensive scenario in St. Louis, and hopeful 'progression' that led to my drafting Heyward. And, even though I know better, that he's in a contract year and playing for a potentially big payday. .271/11/20 last season, and St. Louis was allegedly going to be 'running wild' in 2015. 74 Runs a year ago, and you figure potential for quite a bit more batting 2nd in St. Louis...

At any rate, I think he'll be alright. Not spectacular, but maybe. I certainly don't think he'll bat .220 all year by any means. Hoping he just needs some more time to adjust to his new surroundings, etc. Remember this is a guy who, in 2012, belted 27 homers and stole 21 bases. Not a guy I thought would have scored 3 Runs two weeks into the season, batting 2nd for the Cardinals.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:08 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Remember this is a guy who, in 2012, belted 27 homers and stole 21 bases. Not a guy I thought would have scored 3 Runs two weeks into the season, batting 2nd for the Cardinals.

Exactly what I'm saying. We see that production, know that he did it once, and wishcast him not only doing it again, but because he was really young when he did it expect him to progress even more. Trust me, I'm guilty there too. I have Heyward anywhere the price was right and fully expected him to be extremely productive.

I do expect a bounceback too but that's because knowing I'm wishcasting and being able to stop wishcasting are two different things. Because he was a guy that hit 27 homers and stole 21 bases in the year he turned 23. And because I want to be the guy that got Jason Heyward when he broke out. :)
Hope springs eternal
then dies in the fall

The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:55 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Remember this is a guy who, in 2012, belted 27 homers and stole 21 bases. Not a guy I thought would have scored 3 Runs two weeks into the season, batting 2nd for the Cardinals.

Exactly what I'm saying. We see that production, know that he did it once, and wishcast him not only doing it again, but because he was really young when he did it expect him to progress even more. Trust me, I'm guilty there too. I have Heyward anywhere the price was right and fully expected him to be extremely productive.

I do expect a bounceback too but that's because knowing I'm wishcasting and being able to stop wishcasting are two different things. Because he was a guy that hit 27 homers and stole 21 bases in the year he turned 23. And because I want to be the guy that got Jason Heyward when he broke out. :)

Very well put. I'd say at least we're in it together, but given the source I'm suddenly bearish on him !+)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:01 pm

My team is off and running at 8-0. Completely unsustainable though. I expect to limp into the playoffs again and promptly get bounced.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby kab21 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:04 pm

I think I might have to put DeSclafani and Shane Greene on the block and see what kind of offers I get. I had to cut someone but I called up DeSclafani for his 2 start week.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers