Return to Baseball Leftovers

OBPlover's "All Underrated Squad" of 2015

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

OBPlover's "All Underrated Squad" of 2015

Postby OBPlover » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:55 am

Hello I'm back to FBC (Where did everyone go?).

Many times in year's past I presented players I thought were underrated but I never really organized it. So I decided this year I'm going to be different and create a thread describing my thoughts on underrated players.

Notes:

We are going to assume we are playing a standard 5X5 Roto. Any additional stat categories such as K, OBP, OPS etc would throw this analysis way off.
These players are "underrated" but we are striking a fine balance here. We are assuming a 12 team mixed league with standard rosters so we aren't scraping too far down the bottom of any barrel. I would expect most of these guys to go in the 1-5 dollar range in most leagues,

Ok, enough chatter..here we go!

3B

Pedro Alvarez:

Alvarez may be playing first base, but in most leagues he still qualifies at third which makes him far more valuable. His K rate took a noticeable dip in 2014 and his BB rate climbed as well. He has 25-30 HR Power and the potential for great counting stats, playing on a very stacked Pirates lineup. Even if his average stays at .235, the 30 Hr 100 Rbis he could generate are hard to come by these days. He's worth a long look as 3B starts to thin out.

SS

Jhonny Peralta

I'm not really sure what JP ever did to deserve such a poor reputation. Nelson Cruz/Melky Cabrera proved that there is life after PED Suspensions. He's been fantasy productive in 3 of the past 4 seasons and there are few shortstops capable of reaching 20+ Hrs, period. Unlike the top tier SS talent, he's been far less injury prone. He projects to hit around 5th or 6th in a very respectable bating order that should see improvement from Kolten Wong.

2B

Martin Prado

Prado is so sleepy and boring, it almost brings a tear to your eye. Yet he's a career .290 hitter who averages a dozen or so Hr's. Another bright spot, The Marlins top 3-4 guys in the batting order are not exactly the pinnacle of consistent health. There's a good chance that Prado finds himself near the top of a shuffled Marlins batting order some time in 2015.

1B

Mike Morse

Though he's injury prone, he's batting cleanup in a very good lineup that will see some good OBP ahead of him giving him a ton of RBI opportunities. He's also being freed from the shackles of SF. He's worth a buck, ride him for as long as you can.

C

Wilin Rosario

Seems to be finally healthy now, plus he's slated to play in a bunch of different positions other than catcher, which will hopefully keep him fresh. There are so many risky little fleas on just about every catcher under $10. So why not take a fleabitten catcher with a safety net of playing 81 games in baseball's best hitter's park?

OF:

1) Melky Cabrera

Another player who is usually overlooked. I can understand why everyone passed last year. But after a very productive 2014 season, he's proven his bat is legit. He's a .300 hitter who barely walks so his avg will pull a team up over a greater number of at bats. He got the switch to another hitter friendly park in Chicago with good hitters surrounding him.

2) Marlon Byrd

Byrd seemed like a fluke in 2013, but followed it up with another 20+ hr's in 2014. Now he's moving to one of the best hitter's parks in baseball and could have a good enough supporting cast. (It's at least much better than the 2014 Phillies). He's a source of cheap power.

3) Lenoys Martin

I'm cheating a bit, now that I know that the Rangers Plan to Bat him leadoff. But he's entering his prime age, plays in a great hitters park and the Rangers should rebound offensively with Fielder, Choo and Beltre hitting behind him, there's a lot more there. His walk rate is nothing to write home about but he should steal 40 bases or so and score 80+ Runs. Don't overlook him on draft day.

So that's the main lineup, just for fun, I constructed a batting order:

Martin
Cabrera
Morse
Byrd
Alvarez
Peralta
Rosario
Prado

Not bad for a 1-9 that will probably be constructed for under 60 Fantasy dollars...That leaves 200 for pitching ! Go on out and grab Kershaw and Felix. You can afford to :)
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 95)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: OBPlover's "All Underrated Squad" of 2015

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:23 pm

I like Leonys Martin and Melky from that list, otherwise I'm digging the following:

C - Mike Zunino
1B - Steve Pearce
2B - Arismendy Alcantara
SS - Danny Santana
3B - Brett Lawrie
OF - Lorenzo Cain
OF - Avisail Garcia
OF - Oswaldo Arcia
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby daullaz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:13 pm

My All-Underrated squad:

C Yan Gomes
1B Joey Votto
2B Mookie Betts (if eligibile)
SS Ben Zobrist
3B Matt Carpenter
OF Starling Marte
OF Jayson Werth
OF Khris Davis
UT Chris Carter

SP Hisashi Iwakuma
SP Alex Wood
SP Collin McHugh
SP Mike Fiers
SP Taijuan Walker
RP Steve Cishek
RP Hector Rondon
RP Andrew Miller
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)

Postby OBPlover » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:38 pm

How can that be an all underrated squad? Some of those guys will price in for 15 or 20+ dollars?
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fast dogs » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:06 am

a $25 guy you can get for $15 is underrated. Maybe you should have titled the post bargain bin value plays
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 417)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:16 am

fast dogs wrote:a $25 guy you can get for $15 is underrated. Maybe you should have titled the post bargain bin value plays

To be fair, OBPLover's very definition of what he was trying to speak to was "guys who can be had for $1 - $5" so, while a guy like Zobrist meets the traditional definition of 'Underrated', that's not what the original poster was going for, nor should we really expect him to change the entire sentiment of his post, cause we didn't necessarily read and/or try and follow in suit. :-B
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby daullaz » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Hence "My" All-Underrated Squad
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -627)

Postby OBPlover » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:56 pm

fast dogs wrote:a $25 guy you can get for $15 is underrated. Maybe you should have titled the post bargain bin value plays

If that's your definition of underrated, then you might as well put half of MLB on the list. How many guys out there don't have the potential to be worth at least 10.00 more than their auction value? All young players in the 10-25 dollar range are right there.

I believe underrated should mean players that, based on previous years performances are likely to be worth more than their avg auction $. I can see how it could mean players who are cheap and high risk but could explode to the 30-40 $ or up next year which is Big Hurt''s interpretation. But grasping of every good player with upside potential is not "underrated" in my book.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fast dogs » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:24 am

I like the post and the players you mentioned. Certainly in a stars & scrubs attack the guys you are looking at would work great & at nearly no cost. Maybe the wording of the OP could have been a little more specific is all
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 417)

Postby Mortician » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:40 am

Another topic that starts out helpful but ends in a pointless argument wasting everyones time. Cmon guys

Anyway back to the point:
C travis d'arnaud
1b. Lucas duda
2b devon travis
Ss. Marcus semien
3b arod
Of. Lorenzo cain
Of. Wil myers
Of. Michael cuddyer

Sp. collin mchugh
Sp. chris archer
Sp. michael wacha