Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WH

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:34 am

Zobrist's main claim to value in a deep league is he gives OK but not great production and can play a number of positions including 2b and SS. Certainly trade-able in combo with others for the right package as he is hardly Tulo or Cano out there. Would probably not prefer Moss over him. Moss is carrying a fair amount of risk and the only reason I like him as a keeper at this point is the depth of your league. He has sort of fallen off most people's keeper lists in your more standard mixed 10 or 12 team, keep 4 to 8 type leagues.

You might try seeing if you can pick up a 1b or 3b via trade in the off-season, using Moss, Latos and\or some other combo of spare parts like Prado. You have excess pitching in Latos and Keuchel so I would think some sort of trade up for a 1b or 3b can be swung with one of the other 17 teams.

As to Prado, I am not so high on him for next year. OK player, probably will not be a complete bust, but he has disappointed this year and the Yanks offense is so screwed up along with their GM that I just do not see it getting much better (may be worse) next year. They have a lot of money sunk in bad contracts. McCann is a waste of food. Tex is back at 22 million and is now Mark Reynolds at 1b. Prado will likely be the 2b and yield OK numbers. They have no one for SS other than Ryan (can't imagine they would want Drew back). 3b will either be a useless Aroid or possibly a re-signed Headley who is also useless. The OF likely remains the same and maybe they get more out of Beltran (assuming he can stay healthy which is highly dubious). The pitching is a disaster with all the injuries and bad contract on CC and Tanaka maybe needing TJ surgery which would knock him out for all of 2015 (though the reports on him are promising...still, don't believe the Yanks on stuff like that...they take the most rosy viewpoint to keep hope for the fans alive and keep the outrageously priced tickets selling).

Robertson is a FA and may or may not be brought back also. I just do not see them having a lot of financial flexibility to add another set of 20+ million a year FA contracts. Maybe one big bat to play SS (none really exists) or someone for RF so they can move Beltran to DH. Regardless, I am not seeing a major improvement in this crummy offense. Most of the players are over the hill. Outside of Ellsbury and Gardner, they really have no one currently on offense you would want to build a team around and for the next 2-3 years at least, are saddled with some really bad contracts in Tex, Arod and Beltran to say nothing of McCann and CC.

In that environment, Prado is not likely to see a huge uplift in runs scored or the like. And for the past 2 years he has underperformed so there really is no reason to assume he does not do more or less the same stats-wise in 2015 imo.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2707)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WH

Postby fast dogs » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:50 pm

I don't think you lock in 10 and then try to deal the rest; first see what you can get in trades then you pick who your final 10 can be. If a couple guys are borderline that you are fine with keeping and you have to deal your 7th or 8th best player(or more) for 1 better player(hopefully a 1st basemen) then you do that and keep someone lower on your list. be flexible
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 417)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions