Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WHIR

Postby birdbrains » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:03 pm

What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers?

should it be taking the top 10?
should it be keeping all your hitters?

reason I ask is that this is a deep league , and I will finish 2nd with the hope of the championship....BUT
I can only keep 10 and I don't pick until the 9th round...yes, the 9th round

that could be also looked as my 1st pick is approximately the 325th best player?

I think I have about 20 keepers, if not more, out of 26, that can be kept.
I am going to try to trade some of these players for picks once the fantasy season ends.

I was thinking of 8 hitters and 2 pitchers , at least I will have a decent chance in head to head to get 7 points a week.
or I can do the opposite and go with 8 pitchers and 2 hitters or something like that
or I can just go with the best players

here is my list...using the hitter strategy
will you tell me what you think?


1b - Lucas Duda (NYM - 1st, LF)
3b - Sandoval, Pablo (SF - 3B) -
ss - Rollins, Jimmy (Phi - SS)
lf - Alex Gordon (LAD-LF )
cf - Billy Hamilton (CF)
rf - Pence, Hunter (SF - RF) -
util -Zobrist, Ben (TB - 2B,SS,LF ,RF)
sp - Hamels, Cole (Phi - SP)
rp -Holland, Greg (KC - RP)
bench- Martin Prado (NYY-2nd,3rd,LF,RF)



THIS IS A KEEPER LEAGUE WHERE YOU GET TO KEEP 10 PLAYERS FOR THE NEXT YEAR...NO TIME LIMITS
MY TEAM IS
c - Montero, Miguel (Ari - C)
1b - Lucas Duda (NYM - 1st, LF)
2b - Kendrick, Howie (LAA - 2B)
3b - Sandoval, Pablo (SF - 3B) -
ss - Rollins, Jimmy (Phi - SS)
lf - Alex Gordon (LAD-LF )
cf - Billy Hamilton (CF)
rf - Pence, Hunter (SF - RF) -
util -Zobrist, Ben (TB - 2B,SS,LF ,RF)

sp -Hisahi Iwakuma (Sea-SP)
sp - Hamels, Cole (Phi - SP)
sp -Shields, James (KC - SP)
sp -Mat Latos (Cin-SP)
rp -Holland, Greg (KC - RP)
rp -Soriano, Rafael (Was - RP)
rp - Santiago Casillia (SF-RP)
p - Hector Rondon (ChC-RP)
p- Brian Shaw (Cle-RP)
bench- Yusmierio Petit (SF-SP)
bench- Cobb, Alex (TB - SP)
bench- Dallas Keuchel (Hou-SP)
bench-Wily Peralta (Cin-SP)
bench - Moss, Brandon (Oak - 1B,LF,RF)
bench- Garza, Matt (Mil - SP)
bench- Martin Prado (NYY-2nd,3rd,LF,RF)
bench - Homer Baily (Cin-SP) DL


18 TEAM LEAGUE H2H
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL
Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)
birdbrains
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 839
(Past Year: 146)
Joined: 7 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WH

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:00 pm

birdbrains wrote:What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers?

should it be taking the top 10?
should it be keeping all your hitters?

reason I ask is that this is a deep league , and I will finish 2nd with the hope of the championship....BUT
I can only keep 10 and I don't pick until the 9th round...yes, the 9th round

that could be also looked as my 1st pick is approximately the 325th best player?

I think I have about 20 keepers, if not more, out of 26, that can be kept.
I am going to try to trade some of these players for picks once the fantasy season ends.

I was thinking of 8 hitters and 2 pitchers , at least I will have a decent chance in head to head to get 7 points a week.
or I can do the opposite and go with 8 pitchers and 2 hitters or something like that
or I can just go with the best players

here is my list...using the hitter strategy
will you tell me what you think?


1b - Lucas Duda (NYM - 1st, LF)
3b - Sandoval, Pablo (SF - 3B) -
ss - Rollins, Jimmy (Phi - SS)
lf - Alex Gordon (LAD-LF )
cf - Billy Hamilton (CF)
rf - Pence, Hunter (SF - RF) -
util -Zobrist, Ben (TB - 2B,SS,LF ,RF)
sp - Hamels, Cole (Phi - SP)
rp -Holland, Greg (KC - RP)
bench- Martin Prado (NYY-2nd,3rd,LF,RF)



THIS IS A KEEPER LEAGUE WHERE YOU GET TO KEEP 10 PLAYERS FOR THE NEXT YEAR...NO TIME LIMITS
MY TEAM IS
c - Montero, Miguel (Ari - C)
1b - Lucas Duda (NYM - 1st, LF)
2b - Kendrick, Howie (LAA - 2B)
3b - Sandoval, Pablo (SF - 3B) -
ss - Rollins, Jimmy (Phi - SS)
lf - Alex Gordon (LAD-LF ) ;-D
cf - Billy Hamilton (CF) ;-D
rf - Pence, Hunter (SF - RF) - ;-D
util -Zobrist, Ben (TB - 2B,SS,LF ,RF) ;-D

sp -Hisahi Iwakuma (Sea-SP) ;-D
sp - Hamels, Cole (Phi - SP) ;-D
sp -Shields, James (KC - SP) ;-D
sp -Mat Latos (Cin-SP)
rp -Holland, Greg (KC - RP) ;-D
rp -Soriano, Rafael (Was - RP)
rp - Santiago Casillia (SF-RP)
p - Hector Rondon (ChC-RP)
p- Brian Shaw (Cle-RP)
bench- Yusmierio Petit (SF-SP)
bench- Cobb, Alex (TB - SP) ;-D
bench- Dallas Keuchel (Hou-SP)
bench-Wily Peralta (Cin-SP)
bench - Moss, Brandon (Oak - 1B,LF,RF) ;-D
bench- Garza, Matt (Mil - SP)
bench- Martin Prado (NYY-2nd,3rd,LF,RF)
bench - Homer Baily (Cin-SP) DL


18 TEAM LEAGUE H2H
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL
Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)


I keep the best players and do not worry about positions. Keeping marginal scrubs like Duda, Sandoval, Prado and Montero is pointless imo. I know it is an 18 team league, but why bother keeping inferior players because of position? All you do is lock in mediocrity. Not sure why you lose your top 8 round draft picks (trades?). Losing those picks sort of screws you for next year so I would deal the afforementioned mediocrity to get some of those picks back.

I would keep:
Gordon
B. Hamilton
Pence
Zobrist
Hamels
Shields
Iwakuma
Holland

...for sure. The last 2 spots are a bit tougher, but I probably keep Moss and Cobb. Moss hit pretty well until the last month or so and Cobb is pretty dominant. Your pitching is stronger than your hitting...your IF is weak though with Zobrist and Moss, you really only need to go get yourself one middle infielder, a 3b and a C(which is easy enough to find mediocre guys at C). My 2 cents.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
Posts: 5954
(Past Year: 2707)
Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WH

Postby birdbrains » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:40 pm

thank you
what you say makes sense
my pitching for an 18 team league overall is the best of all 18 teams in its depth...
and yes I lost the 1st 8 pocks to trades to try and win this year...
its a gamble of the future...but I ended up in 2nd with a bye in the playoffs in an 18 team league and have a decent chance to win it all...

my only concern is with moss...what the heck happened to him...I saw no notes on it but it seemed as though he was platooned for the last month...
he was my best player earlier this year and now sits on my bench behind duda...was he hurt or was it just a slump or a mangers decision to platoon him?
birdbrains
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 839
(Past Year: 146)
Joined: 7 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WH

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:03 pm

birdbrains wrote:thank you
what you say makes sense
my pitching for an 18 team league overall is the best of all 18 teams in its depth...
and yes I lost the 1st 8 pocks to trades to try and win this year...
its a gamble of the future...but I ended up in 2nd with a bye in the playoffs in an 18 team league and have a decent chance to win it all...

my only concern is with moss...what the heck happened to him...I saw no notes on it but it seemed as though he was platooned for the last month...
he was my best player earlier this year and now sits on my bench behind duda...was he hurt or was it just a slump or a mangers decision to platoon him?



Moss I think is sort of like David Wright without the injuries. Head is all messed up. Trying to do too much. Probably made worse when Beane traded Cespedes for Lester (which in hindsight was a mistake). He never was a great avg hitter so I think it is just a slump with some choking under pressure now. Have no idea what his manager is thinking. The power is legit and I could certainly see being dubious about him as he is sort of the last of your 8th keepers, but your squad really does not have anyone else with better upside imo. Guys like Sandoval or Prado are not worth keeping over Moss as we already know they are mediocrity and Keuchel would be your next best keeper imo and I do not see him worth the gamble when you already have a solid keeper pitching staff.

I would see if you can deal some of your marginal guys for a few draft picks. Losing those 8 picks is going to make filling in the gaps next year really tough otherwise.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
Posts: 5954
(Past Year: 2707)
Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WH

Postby birdbrains » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:37 am

thankyou...I agree///even if I trade some of the non keeper stars for 5th round picks its better than nothing...

the other thought I had wasto target a team that has no keepers...for instance there is one that has Bautista....
for example...I could trade dudua, keuchal, Sandoval for him an get a better keeper...just a thought
bautista was just an example
birdbrains
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 839
(Past Year: 146)
Joined: 7 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WH

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:09 am

birdbrains wrote:thankyou...I agree///even if I trade some of the non keeper stars for 5th round picks its better than nothing...

the other thought I had wasto target a team that has no keepers...for instance there is one that has Bautista....
for example...I could trade dudua, keuchal, Sandoval for him an get a better keeper...just a thought
bautista was just an example



Trade up is good for the right deal. You also have players like Latos and Sandoval and others that you should be able to package in a trade up or at least get a 1st round pick for. Latos is better than a 181-198 overall player for instance which is what the first round is effectively in your league (180 players kept). Someone should likely jump at the chance to keep him or Keuchel over whatever they are likely to get in your first round, esp. teams finishing towards the top who likely will be picking well into the 190s. I would insist in fact on getting first round picks for these guys. 5th round put you into the 270s overall range and there is basically nothing but pure speculation at that point. There is little difference between guys getting picked 220 and those picked 270 imo. All comes down to speculation, educated guesses and luck.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
Posts: 5954
(Past Year: 2707)
Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WH

Postby exm » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:42 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:
birdbrains wrote:What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers?

should it be taking the top 10?
should it be keeping all your hitters?

reason I ask is that this is a deep league , and I will finish 2nd with the hope of the championship....BUT
I can only keep 10 and I don't pick until the 9th round...yes, the 9th round

that could be also looked as my 1st pick is approximately the 325th best player?

I think I have about 20 keepers, if not more, out of 26, that can be kept.
I am going to try to trade some of these players for picks once the fantasy season ends.

I was thinking of 8 hitters and 2 pitchers , at least I will have a decent chance in head to head to get 7 points a week.
or I can do the opposite and go with 8 pitchers and 2 hitters or something like that
or I can just go with the best players

here is my list...using the hitter strategy
will you tell me what you think?


1b - Lucas Duda (NYM - 1st, LF)
3b - Sandoval, Pablo (SF - 3B) -
ss - Rollins, Jimmy (Phi - SS)
lf - Alex Gordon (LAD-LF )
cf - Billy Hamilton (CF)
rf - Pence, Hunter (SF - RF) -
util -Zobrist, Ben (TB - 2B,SS,LF ,RF)
sp - Hamels, Cole (Phi - SP)
rp -Holland, Greg (KC - RP)
bench- Martin Prado (NYY-2nd,3rd,LF,RF)



THIS IS A KEEPER LEAGUE WHERE YOU GET TO KEEP 10 PLAYERS FOR THE NEXT YEAR...NO TIME LIMITS
MY TEAM IS
c - Montero, Miguel (Ari - C)
1b - Lucas Duda (NYM - 1st, LF)
2b - Kendrick, Howie (LAA - 2B)
3b - Sandoval, Pablo (SF - 3B) -
ss - Rollins, Jimmy (Phi - SS)
lf - Alex Gordon (LAD-LF ) ;-D
cf - Billy Hamilton (CF) ;-D
rf - Pence, Hunter (SF - RF) - ;-D
util -Zobrist, Ben (TB - 2B,SS,LF ,RF) ;-D

sp -Hisahi Iwakuma (Sea-SP) ;-D
sp - Hamels, Cole (Phi - SP) ;-D
sp -Shields, James (KC - SP) ;-D
sp -Mat Latos (Cin-SP)
rp -Holland, Greg (KC - RP) ;-D
rp -Soriano, Rafael (Was - RP)
rp - Santiago Casillia (SF-RP)
p - Hector Rondon (ChC-RP)
p- Brian Shaw (Cle-RP)
bench- Yusmierio Petit (SF-SP)
bench- Cobb, Alex (TB - SP) ;-D
bench- Dallas Keuchel (Hou-SP)
bench-Wily Peralta (Cin-SP)
bench - Moss, Brandon (Oak - 1B,LF,RF) ;-D
bench- Garza, Matt (Mil - SP)
bench- Martin Prado (NYY-2nd,3rd,LF,RF)
bench - Homer Baily (Cin-SP) DL


18 TEAM LEAGUE H2H
Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL
Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base + Slugging Percentage (OPS)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)


I keep the best players and do not worry about positions. Keeping marginal scrubs like Duda, Sandoval, Prado and Montero is pointless imo. I know it is an 18 team league, but why bother keeping inferior players because of position? All you do is lock in mediocrity. Not sure why you lose your top 8 round draft picks (trades?). Losing those picks sort of screws you for next year so I would deal the afforementioned mediocrity to get some of those picks back.

I would keep:
Gordon
B. Hamilton
Pence
Zobrist
Hamels
Shields
Iwakuma
Holland

...for sure. The last 2 spots are a bit tougher, but I probably keep Moss and Cobb. Moss hit pretty well until the last month or so and Cobb is pretty dominant. Your pitching is stronger than your hitting...your IF is weak though with Zobrist and Moss, you really only need to go get yourself one middle infielder, a 3b and a C(which is easy enough to find mediocre guys at C). My 2 cents.


I agree with the above, but you must keep Cobb. Cobb is a borderline SP1 and most definitely comparable to Iwakuma.

Not sure about Zobrist who is getting up there in age. Prado actually might be a sneaky alternative since he'll be playing a full season in Yankee stadium next year. I rather have Prado than Zobrist.
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 512
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WH

Postby birdbrains » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:08 pm

What about Latos instead of Moss?
birdbrains
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 839
(Past Year: 146)
Joined: 7 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WH

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:23 pm

birdbrains wrote:What about Latos instead of Moss?



Latos is OK. He is what he is, but he is a solid pitcher. If you want to add another SP which is safe instead of Moss, I could see that, esp in a deep league. Means you will need to fill 1b as well in the draft though so securing a first round draft pick will be more essential then imo. 3b is pretty shallow and MI are a dime a dozen once you get past the elites, but if you have a really weak 1b, it hurts quite a bit as there are a lot of good ones around.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
Posts: 5954
(Past Year: 2707)
Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What strategy should I use for picking my 10 keepers? WH

Postby birdbrains » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:22 am

I hate belaboring the point...but you make sense...what about keeping moss and latos and try to trade zobrist

this leaves me with these guts to trade then if my keepers were

Gordon
B. Hamilton
Pence
Moss
Cobb
Latos
Hamels
Shields
Iwakuma
Holland

I should be able to trade these players for something in an 18 round draft and try to get a first with a multiple trade
some of the bottom teams do not have 10 keepers...the top 7 are in same position as me but not as bad with the picks and not as good with amount of keepers I have
the pool to trade with after my 10 keepers if I go with those 10?
zobrist would have to be traded to get a pick and I agree with the other comment that Prado may be in for a big year next yesr with the yankees
c - Montero, Miguel (Ari - C)
1b - Lucas Duda (NYM - 1st, LF)
2b - Kendrick, Howie (LAA - 2B)
3b - Sandoval, Pablo (SF - 3B) -
ss - Rollins, Jimmy (Phi - SS)
util -Zobrist, Ben (TB - 2B,SS,LF ,RF)
rp -Soriano, Rafael (Was - RP)
rp - Santiago Casillia (SF-RP)
p - Hector Rondon (ChC-RP)
p- Brian Shaw (Cle-RP)
bench- Yusmierio Petit (SF-SP)
bench- Dallas Keuchel (Hou-SP)
bench-Wily Peralta (Cin-SP)
bench- Garza, Matt (Mil - SP)
bench- Martin Prado (NYY-2nd,3rd,LF,RF)
bench - Homer Baily (Cin-SP) DL
birdbrains
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 839
(Past Year: 146)
Joined: 7 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

cron