Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Would it be crazy...??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Would it be crazy...??

Postby bsanders06 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:41 am

If one was to consider keeping Chris carter??? Dudes gon hit 40 bombs this year. His average is .234 but thas no worse than chris Davis or pedro alvarez who many kept after last year?? Thoughts???? I have been keeping fielder but im worried bout his health going forward. Afraid he is bout done
bsanders06
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Would it be crazy...??

Postby ayebatter » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:07 pm

Plenty of people have kept Adam Dunn in the past in batting average leagues for the same reason, so no not crazy depending the the number of keepers you get - but risky.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby bsanders06 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:16 pm

Yea thas exActly who I was thinkin as a comparison to is Dunn
bsanders06
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby rails80 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Who cares about the average if they guy hits 40 HRs?

There's a whole school of thought that suggests it might be easier to win with a roster full of those types of hitters. For instance, you can afford to wait on guys like Carter in a draft, spend less at auction, etc, which frees up earlier picks or money for an elite pitching staff.

Besides, last year, the combined average batting average in MLB was .253. So if you can find a guy who hits say, .290, to pair with Carter's .235, you'll be at MLB average and have all that extra production.

This is a strategy I think about every year, but tend to forget on draft day...
rails80
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 334)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:11 pm

I usually avoid guys that sink your avg. Carter is not as bad as some like Davis as at least he hits 230. The problem with the low avg guys is that they tend to be inconsistent. They hit for a low avg for a reason. 230 this year turns into 195 next year. See Granderson or Davis (who outside of last year never really hit much for avg), Dunn, Reynolds, etc. If they hit 240-250 you can live with them. If they hit 200, then they drag down the category for you. Yea maybe they help you in HRs and Rbis more than they hurt in avg depending on your squad, but Carter is not the type of player I would keep in most keeper leagues unless you keep a lot of players.

Another thing to consider is because he hits for a crummy avg, he will likely fall on the draft board so why keep a player that you likely can redraft if you want to? No one is likely to pick up Carter in the first round of your keeper draft unless you go pretty deep with the keepers.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2707)

Postby bsanders06 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:52 pm

Yea we keep 8 or ten but I could prolly still get him but like I said I have fielder and he has been my first baseman for years now but im afraid he is done. With that being said if in fact he is washed up ill have a hole at first bc all the Main rosterable will all be kept
bsanders06
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions