Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Drop A. Cabrera for Holt?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drop A. Cabrera for Holt?

Postby tnbrave » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:20 am

Someone dropped Brock Holt in my 10-team H2H Weekly Points League. Holt is currently eligible at 2B, 3B, SS, and OF in the league. Should I drop Asdrubal Cabrera, 2B/SS, for him? Neither are starters for me at this point. With the trade deadline passed and limited moves in our league allowed, I'm looking for bench depth to help out in case of injuries. He can fill in at so many places if needed, giving me the opportunity to get the best player available in case of an injury to a starter. Should I make the swap or sit tight? Thanks! WHIR
tnbrave
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1282)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drop A. Cabrera for Holt?

Postby tnbrave » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:06 pm

Anyone? ;-)
tnbrave
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby oxhammer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:16 pm

If he's not going to be a starter for you and you're looking at depth only, that position eligibility is hard to pass up. I'd do it.
oxhammer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 26)

Postby lyons595 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:34 pm

No real downside. I'd do it. Thanks
lyons595
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 334)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 am

Like Brock Holt is worth much? Why would you bother as the guy offers very little so what is the point in having a crummy backup at more positions? I would rather have a better backup at less positions and take my chances. If Holt is a free agent it is because others in your league think he is worthless as well. Cabrera may not be great, but he likely will be picked up by someone and used against you.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2707)

Postby lyons595 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:38 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:Like Brock Holt is worth much? Why would you bother as the guy offers very little so what is the point in having a crummy backup at more positions? I would rather have a better backup at less positions and take my chances. If Holt is a free agent it is because others in your league think he is worthless as well. Cabrera may not be great, but he likely will be picked up by someone and used against you.

Fair point. I have started to think that way: it may be better to keep someone (for me: Rizzo) than to drop him and have him used against you in the playoffs.
lyons595
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 334)

Re: Drop A. Cabrera for Holt? Or Vogt? (edited)

Postby tnbrave » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure that A. Cabrera will be picked up in my league--he has been on waivers all season until I got him when Lowrie went on the DL. But then again, I don't know. The only other option I have on bench would be Vogt. I got Vogt when Mauer was on the DL and kept him when Mauer returned. But he has cooled off a lot lately. What do you think about dropping him and getting Holt? Thanks! WHIR
tnbrave
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Re: Drop A. Cabrera for Holt? Or Vogt? (edited)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:10 pm

tnbrave wrote:Thanks everyone! I'm not sure that A. Cabrera will be picked up in my league--he has been on waivers all season until I got him when Lowrie went on the DL. But then again, I don't know. The only other option I have on bench would be Vogt. I got Vogt when Mauer was on the DL and kept him when Mauer returned. But he has cooled off a lot lately. What do you think about dropping him and getting Holt? Thanks! WHIR

Backup Cs in one C roster leagues in particular have little value imo. There are simply too many of them in that 10-16 rankings that are essentially the same. I would have no problem cutting Vogt for some help elsewhere as long as you have a decent C in place already. Whether Holt is going to help you any is another matter, but I would definitely lose Vogt before I would cut Cabrera. Again, it is not so much that Cabrera is great, but he may be of more use in your league than some C that will not play for anyone barring an injury to another front line C.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tnbrave » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. What about dropping Vogt for another SP like Wacha, Fiers, or Cashner? All of those SPs are available in my league. My lineup is as follows: C-Mauer, 1B-Freeman, 2B-Rendon, SS-A. Ramirez, 3B-Donaldson, OF-Trout, Bautista, Heyward, SP-Scherzer, Bumgarner, Hamels, Ryu, RP-Perkins, Street, Bench-Blackmon, A. Cabrera, Vogt, G. Gonzalez, and C. Archer. If I picked up Wacha, Fiers, or Cashner that would give me another 2-start SP possibly on some weeks. What do you all think! Thanks! WHIR
tnbrave
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:39 am

tnbrave wrote:Thanks for the thoughtful replies. What about dropping Vogt for another SP like Wacha, Fiers, or Cashner? All of those SPs are available in my league. My lineup is as follows: C-Mauer, 1B-Freeman, 2B-Rendon, SS-A. Ramirez, 3B-Donaldson, OF-Trout, Bautista, Heyward, SP-Scherzer, Bumgarner, Hamels, Ryu, RP-Perkins, Street, Bench-Blackmon, A. Cabrera, Vogt, G. Gonzalez, and C. Archer. If I picked up Wacha, Fiers, or Cashner that would give me another 2-start SP possibly on some weeks. What do you all think! Thanks! WHIR

All three are worth a pickup imo. Wacha has the mist upside, but just coming off the injury, he also carries the most risk imo.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions