Return to Baseball Leftovers

1B Rankings in a keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1B Rankings in a keeper

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:14 pm

A friend of mine recently traded for Votto and maybe I've given up on him but I think he overpaid. I thing Votto is basically worth Adrian Gonzalez now with the upside of being Freddy Freeman. I don't think he should see a 1st round selection anymore. I threw this together really quick but was wanting some opinions.

1. M. Caberra
2. Goldy
3. Abreu
4. E.E.
5. Joey Bats
6. Freeman
7. Rizzo
8. Pujols
9. V-Mart
10. Davis
11. Votto
12. Adrian Gonazalez
13. Ortiz
14. Fielder
15. Hosmer
16. Duda
17. Trumbo
18. Belt
19. LaRoche
20. Carter
21. Moss
22. Adams
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 1B Rankings in a keeper

Postby TheTrith » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:00 pm

I think Id move Moss up quite a bit, like around 12th overall right after Gonzo, and I like Rizzo going forward more than Bautista and Freeman.
Theres a pretty clear drop off after the top 7 though.

I agree that Votto is only borderline top 10 1B now. maybe a slight bump in an OBP league.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby ensanimal » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:59 pm

I'd have Rizzo at 5 with the potential to move ahead of EE depending on league. Votto is in the right area with a bunch of guys with question marks.

Not the dominant spot it used to be, especially with the age of some of the top 15 guys.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -152)

Postby kab21 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:27 pm

1B is still the dominant position it used to be the only difference is that overall offense is down so the numbers don't look as great.

This is especially true if you can put Votto at 10 and everyone just nods their head in agreement.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:19 am

kab21 wrote:1B is still the dominant position it used to be the only difference is that overall offense is down so the numbers don't look as great.

This is especially true if you can put Votto at 10 and everyone just nods their head in agreement.

I don't know about dominant position but it is really deep. I think the more telling thing about overall offense being down is that the 1B I have ranked 6th has a career high 23 HR has never topped 100 R and only 1 100 RBI season and no one thinks he is too high.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby kab21 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:15 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
kab21 wrote:1B is still the dominant position it used to be the only difference is that overall offense is down so the numbers don't look as great.

I don't know about dominant position but it is really deep. I think the more telling thing about overall offense being down is that the 1B I have ranked 6th has a career high 23 HR has never topped 100 R and only 1 100 RBI season and no one thinks he is too high.

It's still a dominant position offensively. I took a quick look at wOBA (doesn't exactly correlate to fantasy but it's just a quick look) and there were 10 1Bman in the top 30. And that wasn't counting VMart and Papi (primarily DH's) or Bautista/Morse (Morse kind of sucks in all fantasy though). So 14 of the top 30 hitters (not exactly fantasy rankings but it depends on your league) qualified at 1B/DH. That's pretty dominant. Most of the rest of the list is OF'ers.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Izenhart » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:29 pm

1. Abreu
2. M. Caberra
3. Goldy