Return to Baseball Leftovers

WTF it's August already 8/3-8/10 Cheering & Venting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: WTF it's August already 8/3-8/10 Cheering & Venting

Postby TheTrith » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:53 am

Ill prob get killed for saying this, but I cant stand listening to Vin Scully call games. Maybe I just never heard him broadcast in his prime, but Ive heard way too much of him over the past couple years and he just bores me to tears with uber slow and monotonous drawl. And he makes tons of mistakes when hes identifying pitchers, players, etc.

Or maybe Im spoiled by the Giants broadcast team.

Or I guess its possible I havent given him enough of a chance just because he happens to be affiliated with those filthy Dodgers.

But really, what is that makes everyone love listening to that guy so much?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ayebatter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:14 am

TheTrith wrote:
Or I guess its possible I havent given him enough of a chance just because he happens to be affiliated with those filthy Dodgers.

Gints fans hate all things Dodgers you'll never understand.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:46 pm

TheTrith wrote:Ill prob get killed for saying this, but I cant stand listening to Vin Scully call games. Maybe I just never heard him broadcast in his prime, but Ive heard way too much of him over the past couple years and he just bores me to tears with uber slow and monotonous drawl. And he makes tons of mistakes when hes identifying pitchers, players, etc.

On the other hand, I despise listening to Kruk and Kuip. It has more to do with the silly rules of local blackouts of Dodger telecasts more than anything.

There's something nostalgic about Vin Scully calling Dodger games, like Chick Hearn calling Laker games or Bob Miller calling Kings games. He's kind of like a grandfather figure who will tell random stories about the players and when he can, military history. Like any grandfather, he'll have his senior moments in which he mispronounces a name or forgets who precisely is on base. Most can forgive him for that. Lastly, baseball feels more like a leisurely game than other sports; his tone and voice match that quite nicely.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:51 pm

Sometimes I ask my wife what she wants to do for dinner and she says I don't care. Then I proceed to name 4-5 places I would be OK with and she shoots them all down but offers no suggestion of her own. That is what trading with one guy in my league is like. :-S
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Element » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:12 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
TheTrith wrote:Ill prob get killed for saying this, but I cant stand listening to Vin Scully call games. Maybe I just never heard him broadcast in his prime, but Ive heard way too much of him over the past couple years and he just bores me to tears with uber slow and monotonous drawl. And he makes tons of mistakes when hes identifying pitchers, players, etc.

On the other hand, I despise listening to Kruk and Kuip. It has more to do with the silly rules of local blackouts of Dodger telecasts more than anything.

There's something nostalgic about Vin Scully calling Dodger games, like Chick Hearn calling Laker games or Bob Miller calling Kings games. He's kind of like a grandfather figure who will tell random stories about the players and when he can, military history. Like any grandfather, he'll have his senior moments in which he mispronounces a name or forgets who precisely is on base. Most can forgive him for that. Lastly, baseball feels more like a leisurely game than other sports; his tone and voice match that quite nicely.

Exactly. Otherwise, I would have never known how Terrmel Sledge got his name. :-D
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:23 pm

Element wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

Exactly. Otherwise, I would have never known how Terrmel Sledge got his name. :-D

:-b

Speaking of Vin and names, he mentioned for a couple of games during the Dodgers=Angels series how Hank Conger got his name or nickname. The funny part was, his real name is spelled H-Y-U-N and he said something to the effect of "I won't try to pronounce that". He forgot Hyun is also part of Ryu's name. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:27 pm

O's/Cruz with the tease tonight. Team scores 12, Cruz 1-4. :-C

He's killing me.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -152)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:39 am

ensanimal wrote:O's/Cruz with the tease tonight. Team scores 12, Cruz 1-4. :-C

He's killing me.

Cruz has slumped mightily since the start of July, I think. I probably should have considered dealing him while he was hot.

In other news, Hanley is an injury magnet. Hanley will have an MRI to see if the right side tightness is something more serious.

Note to self: Don't pick Hanley and Puig on the same team ever again. Both of them are a weekly injury scare, sometimes twice a week it seems. :-B
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby ensanimal » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:14 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Cruz has slumped mightily since the start of July, I think. I probably should have considered dealing him while he was hot.

In other news, Hanley is an injury magnet. Hanley will have an MRI to see if the right side tightness is something more serious.

I tried dealing Cruz in May/June, couldn't find a buyer.

Very happy to have dealt HanRam/N. Walker for Altuve/Aybar. Both now hitting the DL again.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -152)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers