Return to Baseball Leftovers

WTF it's August already 8/3-8/10 Cheering & Venting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: WTF it's August already 8/3-8/10 Cheering & Venting

Postby hondo4mvp » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:10 am

wrveres wrote:
The search committee formed to identify a successor for Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig has narrowed the candidates down to a list of three finalists, reports USA Today’s Bob Nightengale. MLB chief operating officer Rob Manfred, MLB vice president of business Tim Bronson and Red Sox chairman Tom Werner are the candidates, according to Nightengale.
kinda disapointed that we didn't see Joe Torre or Sandy Alderson mentioned.

Were either of them a chief operating officer,vice president of business or a chairman?
Why should they have a say in the game?
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:23 am

hondo4mvp wrote:
wrveres wrote:
The search committee formed to identify a successor for Major League Baseball commissioner Bud Selig has narrowed the candidates down to a list of three finalists, reports USA Today’s Bob Nightengale. MLB chief operating officer Rob Manfred, MLB vice president of business Tim Bronson and Red Sox chairman Tom Werner are the candidates, according to Nightengale.
kinda disapointed that we didn't see Joe Torre or Sandy Alderson mentioned.

Were either of them a chief operating officer,vice president of business or a chairman?

Alderson was executive vice president for baseball operations for MLB and CEO of the Padres.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:30 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:First game aside, this Dodgers-Angels series has been fantastic viewing so far. Even Dan Haren has decided not to throw batting practice for his start. :-B

Best part for Dodgers fans is that the Angles TV broadcasts can be seen locally ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:36 am

hondo4mvp wrote:

Hell we elected a POTUS that didn't have any of those qualifications why does someone in charge of MLB need to. :-b
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:00 pm

hondo4mvp wrote:Why should they have a say in the game?
MLB executive vice-president Joe Torre told the Baseball Writers Association of America on Tuesday that expanded replay could be in place in time for next season ..
Joe Torre, MLB's executive vice president for baseball operations, says Major League Baseball's playing rules committee leaned toward banning all home plate collisions but concluded it would be unrealistic because contact between catchers and baserunners is sometimes unavoidable.
The Official Playing Rules Committee consists of the General Manager of the New York Mets, Sandy Alderson, who serves as Chair of the Committee, ... (a couple more bums) ... and Joe Torre, MLB's Executive Vice President of Baseball Operations.
:-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:56 pm

ayebatter wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:First game aside, this Dodgers-Angels series has been fantastic viewing so far. Even Dan Haren has decided not to throw batting practice for his start. :-B

Best part for Dodgers fans is that the Angles TV broadcasts can be seen locally ;-)

We out of market Dodger fans can still catch the Dodger telecasts on DirecTV extra innings. B-)
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Element » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:08 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
ayebatter wrote:

We out of market Dodger fans can still catch the Dodger telecasts on DirecTV extra innings. B-)

...though I cringe every time I am forced to listen to Charley Steiner call a game. %-6

After the current road trip we won't need to listen to him much more this season.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:32 pm

Element wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
ayebatter wrote:Best part for Dodgers fans is that the Angles TV broadcasts can be seen locally ;-)

...though I cringe every time I am forced to listen to Charley Steiner call a game. %-6

After the current road trip we won't need to listen to him much more this season.

For some reason, I don't find Steiner to be as irritating to listen to like his first Dodger TV stint. Hershiser and Nomar are good complements for him though when he's not struggling to describe what's going on.

Then again, we had a few years of Eric Collins. So, that's why Steiner seems relatively more tolerable to me these days.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby kab21 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:40 pm

You have been spoiled by Scully. Very, very spoiled.

Steiner is strange to listen to I admit but I rather like him.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers