Return to Baseball Leftovers

Now that Cargo is back

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Now that Cargo is back

Postby sjguzin » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:26 pm

So now that Carlos Gonzalez is back, how much does this affect Charlie Blackmon & Corey Dickerson's playing time? Would you still treat Blackmon as a top OF for this year?
sjguzin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Now that Cargo is back

Postby fast dogs » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:45 pm

He hit 260 in May & June with 7 HR & 28 RBI total for those 2 months. He'll likely sit again vs LHP once he gets off this crazy hot streak lately making him a non top OF; especially on the road and doubly so facing LHP. Top OF you get start and forget about them, I really don't think that'll be the case for Blackmon once he cools down again. Stubbs has to start now n then too, right? He's alot safer to own in daily leagues when you can check lineups; but to answer your question: no, I don't think he'll be a top OF the rest of the way
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 417)

Postby sjguzin » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:07 am

thank you for the post, I would have to agree with you.
sjguzin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 33)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Blackmon's value is about to vanish, IMO. He's just not nearly as good as he performed in April. Dickerson is much better than him against righties. Stubbs is much better against lefties. CarGo will play everyday whenever he's not on the DL, and so will Cuddyer (due back in a week or so). Blackmon is terrible on the road. There are just not very many scenarios where Blackmon both gets anything close to full playing time and performs well. The inverse is far more likely; mediocre performing platoon player. Not somebody I want to rely on as a starting OF considering he's competing with four superior hitters for that precious Coors Field playing time.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby OBPlover » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:04 am

Morneau just got placed on the DL... so Cuddyer will probably play 1B when he comes back.

I think the crowd is a bit too harsh on Charlie B. Yeah he had a great, unsustainable April. But lots of players have streaks, cough Edwin Encarnacion Cough. It's not that uncommon. Is overall numbers are still pretty good. He doesn't strike out a whole lot and he does have good speed, so he will almost always be the leadoff hitter against righties in a very good offensive team (at least at home). He's also considered a superior defensive OF (don't know for sure if true).

Besides are they really going to bench an All-Star ? It might mean nothing to stat heads and fantasy geeks like us. But to the layman who buys tickets, it would just look horrible.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 95)

Return to Baseball Leftovers