Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hammel & Samardzija traded to A's for Addison Russell

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hammel & Samardzija traded to A's for Addison Russell

Postby Saltydog » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:56 pm

This is a great deal for the Cubs in 2015-2016. Not sure where their pitching will come from between now and then.

For the A's, this will help put distance between the Mariners (solid pitching staff) and Angels (not going away easily) in the division. Great deal to lock up division with Rangers and Astros out of the mix.

I don't see anyone out of the AL East challenging for a pennant. Regardless of what is said in Oakland, this is a move that will give them a punchers chance against DET in the LCS.

Great trade if you look at is as giving OAK a 25% chance of winning a WS this year.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 753
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 4 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hammel & Samardzija traded to A's for Addison Russell

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:00 am

No team has a 25% chance at winning the World Series, most top teams hover around 14-15%. They have a ~71% chance of winning the division. In the 29% chance they don't, they need to win two rounds of the playoffs (50/50 shot at each of those) before even thinking about playing in the ALCS and then the World Series (also 50/50 shot at each of those).
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3082
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hammel & Samardzija traded to A's for Addison Russell

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:30 pm

This is a trade that I think helps out both teams, as well as every single player in the trade. I think both Shark and Hammel are the rare cases of guys who will benefit from moving from the NL to the AL. O.co is a huge park, and Oakland has a good defense, and you've gotta think these two will be giving it their all each time out as they try to win the division, versus laying it all on the line for a team that is 10 games under .500 in last place. You can argue that it isn't a factor, but I'd be hard pressed to be convinced of such. On the other side, Russel gets to play in a better park for hitters, and likely slides right into the SS role possibly as early as this September. All indications are that he's a real deal SS with 15/15 potential. Chicago gets a Top 15 Prospect for a guy who they otherwise could've potentially gotten nothing for, and was highly unlikely to stick around with them, and a guy currently pitching the best stretch of his entire career. Oakland gets two pitchers who have been excellent this year, and solidify their rotation really well. Gray-Kazmir-Samardzija-Chavez-Hammel is a formidable rotation, and now they're not entirely up a creek if, say, Kazmir breaks down.

I like it all around for everybody, and stand by this being beneficial for both Shark and Hammel, fantasy-wise.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24931
(Past Year: 376)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron