Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hammel & Samardzija traded to A's for Addison Russell

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:03 pm

Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports was the first to report that at the least the Athletics will receive Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for Addison Russell.

DEAL IS DONE: #Cubs send Samardzija and Hammel to #Athletics for Addison Russell, per sources. May be other players and team(s) involved.

— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 5, 2014
Keith Law of ESPN has followed up, naming in addition to Russell, A's minor league players Billy McKinney, Dan Straily, and a player to be named later.

Cubs/A's deal official. Samardzija and Hammel for Russell, McKinney, Straily, PTBNL. Analysis to follow on ESPN Insider.

— keithlaw (@keithlaw) July 5, 2014
Samardzija and Hammel will join a rotation led by Scott Kazmir and Sonny Gray, and Jesse Chavez. Assuming the A's stick with a five-man rotation, Tommy Milone and Brad Mills would be displaced. It is possible one would move into a long relief role after the A's Jeff Francis was recently designated for assignment.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hammel & Samardzija traded to A's for Addison Russell

Postby ensanimal » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:11 pm

That Cubs offense should be crazy good in a few years.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -152)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:26 pm

ESPN's Keith Law reports that the Cubs will also receive Dan Straily and prospect outfielder Billy McKinney from the Athletics for Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby afern401 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:55 pm

How do you all think the move will impact Hammel and Samardzija?
afern401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:29 am

afern401 wrote:How do you all think the move will impact Hammel and Samardzija?

Unless something drastic happens, I think wins will go up for both but I think their other stats get slightly worse, but not a lot. Oakland is a slightly more favorable ballpark for pitchers than Wrigley but they will now have to face DHs.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby TheTrith » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Oakland also has a terrific OF defense and their infield D is solid as well so, combined with the acres of foul ground, and low HR environment, the DH may not have as significant of an effect as it would seem on first glance.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby rjforlife » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:43 am

TheTrith wrote:Oakland also has a terrific OF defense and their infield D is solid as well so, combined with the acres of foul ground, and low HR environment, the DH may not have as significant of an effect as it would seem on first glance.

Going NL to AL is simply never a good thing. Samardzija may be good enough initially to fool the teams that haven't seen him yet. Hammel I would be very concerned that he returns to mediocrity or sucking very quickly.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:24 am

Hammel has done pretty much what he's doing now in the AL East in 2012. He really turned into a new pitcher that year. Obviously the fact that he reverted back to his old self last year is a concern, but I'd say a couple seasons of that success is pretty solid. He's nothing special but if he can manage 8 K/9 with above average ERA and WHIP for a starter (below 4 and 1.3) that's still useful, and playing so much in the Coliseum/Safeco/Minute Maid he could be a lot better than average if you bench for his tough starts.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby silentjim » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:54 am

As someone who's watched a lot of Samardzija over the years I like that he's focused more on managing games and lasting longer into games, but from a fantasy perspective his Ks come down when he tries to pitch for outs instead of strikeouts.

The good news is he's smart enough and a hard enough worker to be able to approach the game in multiple facets which means I think he'll do good no matter what. But it might not come at fantastic K numbers. The wins I do think will come up a bit and moving from NL to AL stinks, but I read that Wrigley to Oakland is a swing of 14% for pitchers (+5% and -9%).
silentjim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Basketball Mod
(Past Year: 108)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby TheTrith » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:46 pm

rjforlife wrote:
TheTrith wrote:Oakland also has a terrific OF defense and their infield D is solid as well so, combined with the acres of foul ground, and low HR environment, the DH may not have as significant of an effect as it would seem on first glance.

Going NL to AL is simply never a good thing. Samardzija may be good enough initially to fool the teams that haven't seen him yet. Hammel I would be very concerned that he returns to mediocrity or sucking very quickly.

Call me crazy, but if I had a choice for my fantasy pitchers to play in Wrigley for a terrible team in the middle of summer, or in Oakland with a terrific D and baseballs best offense, Id choose Oakland every single time. I dont think its quite as simple as NL to AL in every case.

(to be honest I wasnt even thinking about Hammel since I own him on 0/7 teams and he barely registers on my fantasy radar even though he probably should)
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers