Return to Baseball Leftovers

CHEER !!!! VENT #@&%&** HERE 6/23-6/29

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: CHEER !!!! VENT #@&%&** HERE 6/23-6/29

Postby Surfs up » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:19 pm

I hate the term first half / second half at the ASB. Its really approx. 60 % over . So why not just say before the break and after the break? It could mean 40-45 at bats less and 2-3 starts after the break.
That's my vent
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silverZ » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:07 pm

rjforlife wrote:Where is everyone. I'm trying hard to stay loyal but this feels like a slow death.

The site was down every other time I'd check it for the entire month of May so I kind of gave up. :,-(
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby chargerss24 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:35 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
wrveres wrote:
rjforlife wrote:Where is everyone. I'm trying hard to stay loyal but this feels like a slow death.
its summer. even basement dwellers have to go outside in the summer. if not our skin tends to become pasty.

Even those comfortably ahead in certain leagues can enjoy the sun. B-)

Or those comfortably dwelling in the cellar with no hope of recovering. !+)
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby BChinly » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:46 pm

Mookie Betts Called up today. Every year I have a favorite prospect. This guys ratios are off the charts
Bringing back Activeness with Boredom.
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 37)

Postby TheTrith » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:33 pm

this trade just went down in one of my YPros:
W T F
Guy getting Kershaw is in 1st.

Guy getting back gutter trash is in last, 35 points back and 28 points out of a money spot.
Also he has only 2 roto points in Ks, and 5 roto points in ERA. But he has 6 roto points in both saves and steals, so why the ---- does he make this trade to acquire Dee Gordon the 1 category wonder, and a low end closer?

Ive never voted to protest any trade in any of my public football/baseball leagues (or even in any private leagues for that matter), but is there any way this trade should be allowed?

mod edit
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:11 pm

I'm not saying I'd do the trade, but Gordon and Cishek have been worth twice as much as Kershaw up to this point in the season. Obviously it's not likely they'll continue to be worth twice as much since Gordon likely won't maintain this batting average and Kershaw likely won't spend another month on the DL, but the two sides of the trade should be pretty close in value from here on out. It's not like either Gordon or Cishek are doing anything extraordinarily outside of their skill level. And Gordon isn't a one category player, he's well above average in 3 categories compared to Kershaw's 4 categories. And Kershaw doesn't have any one category nearly as dominant as Gordon's stolen bases. Again... not saying I'd do this. But it's really not that terrible. It's just that most people don't like to recognize the value of players that make such large contributions to a single category, and we all know in real that what Kershaw is doing is 1000x more valuable than Gordon and Cishek's saves/steals.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby TheTrith » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:03 pm

First off, sorry to include something that had to be edited out. My bad, didnt even realize I had used that kind of language. Wont happen again.

I guess you are right Skin. Its just really frustrating that the guy didnt even bother to shop Kershaw around first when its pretty clear (at least to me) that he couldve landed a much much better return.
The fact that he has several categories where he can make up much more ground much more easily is also a bit weird. I mean if he really wanted steals, surely he couldve landed a player that provided speed and also at least a little bit of power (since HR/RBI are the 2 cats he has the fewest points in by far, 1 point and 1.5 points respectively), and STILL got a closer thrown into the deal.

And he has 2 other players that are SS/2B elg so specifically targeting a 2b couldnt have been an argument.

For example I wouldve happily given up Ellsbury plus any of my closers for Kershaw in that league.

Also fwiw, as you said the only reason they are combined more valuable so far is because Kershaw missed almost half of the season to date. And with such shallow rosters, the cost of a roster spot is much higher, so having all that value in just 1 player is much more useful than tying up 2 roster spots for a similar amount of production.

Oh well.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Yeah it's a pain when people trade superstars and don't bother shopping around. Especially when such lopsided deals in terms of auction/draft value since it seems like they just settled on an offer without trying to get more. Dee Gordon really is a game-changer though. As somebody who has Jose Altuve, that kind of SB dominance from one player makes everything else so much easier.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers