Return to Baseball Leftovers

6/16-6/22 CHEERING-VENTING & Who Cares

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

6/16-6/22 CHEERING-VENTING & Who Cares

Postby ayebatter » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:25 pm

Just had Tri-Tip/2 eggs over easy & sourdough toast, I golf at noon & Tuesday I'm headed to Santa Barbara for the week to visit the Grandkids & golf. ;-D Oh and the Kings won the Cup.

Monday, June 16th

AL

LA Angels of Anaheim at Cleveland Indians
(R) Jered Weaver (7-5) vs. (R) Trevor Bauer (1-3)

Kansas City Royals at Detroit Tigers
(L) Jason Vargas (6-2) vs. (R) Justin Verlander (6-6)

Baltimore Orioles at Tampa Bay Rays
(L) Wei-Yin Chen (7-2) vs. (R) Jake Odorizzi (2-7)

Minnesota Twins at Boston Red Sox
(R) Kevin Correia (3-7) vs. (R) Rubby De La Rosa (1-2)

Texas Rangers at Oakland Athletics,
(R) Colby Lewis (4-4) vs. (L) Drew Pomeranz (5-3)

IL

San Diego Padres at Seattle Mariners
(R) Tyson Ross (6-5) vs. (R) Chris Young (5-4)

NL

Chicago Cubs at Miami Marlins
(R) Jason Hammel (6-4) vs. (R) Tom Koehler (5-5)

Philadelphia Phillies at Atlanta Braves
(L) Cole Hamels (2-3) vs. (R) Julio Teheran (6-4)

New York Mets at St. Louis Cardinals
(R) Jacob deGrom (0-3) vs. (R) Carlos Martinez (0-3)

Milwaukee Brewers at Arizona Diamondbacks
(R) Wily Peralta (6-5) vs. (R) Brandon McCarthy (1-9)

Colorado Rockies at Los Angeles Dodgers
(L) Tyler Matzek (1-0) vs. (L) Hyun-Jin Ryu (7-3)

Someone please keep this going for the rest of the week. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 6/16-6/22 CHEERING-VENTING & Who Cares

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:54 pm

You're old.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:55 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:You're old.

;-D I'm finding that it's better than the alternative.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby Brisbane » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:07 pm

Santa Barbara, eh? I'm getting married there this weekend! Supposed to be 72 and sunny on Saturday, enjoy the weather! And go Kings!
Brisbane
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Brisbane wrote:Santa Barbara, eh? I'm getting married there this weekend! Supposed to be 72 and sunny on Saturday, enjoy the weather! And go Kings!

Good luck with that :-* ...........................nah just kidding ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:12 pm

Starting Teheran, sitting W. Peralta today. Facing Hamels, who I traded away, and I don't think has let up a damn run since... !+)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Padsin05 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:11 pm

my personal Tony story from the UTsandiego forum discussion on his passing

My fondest moment on a personal level of Tony Gwynn would have to have come in 1993.

I was playing JUCO at Grossmont, and was working for the San Diego School of Baseball at the time as an assistant (shag balls, set up, clean up, basically do whatever they ask). One afternoon after one of the hitting clinics was over, there were 2 of us assistants hanging around getting things cleaned up. Tony stayed late to sign autographs for every kid in attendance (well over 1000). I had spoken quite a bit to Tony over the year, he knew me, he addressed me by name, he never made me feel like just a random person, anyways as he was walking out one day, he asked me how my season was going. I was doing pretty good, and had been working on taking the ball the other way (as a lefty) so I brought up my approach to him.

He put down his stuff and went into the cage with me, asking me to show him rather than tell him. For about 15 mins he sat and watched as I attempted to replicate his 5.5 approach. I was a pretty good "slappy" type hitter, your prototypical 80's 90's style no 2 hitter. Anyways he didnt say anything for 15 mins, which I thought was odd. I always was used to a mouth in my ear every time I hit. From my Dad, to my high school coach, up to Eddie Olsen at GC.

After I was done he took a few swings, and showed me a couple tips. It was amazing. When he hit in the cage, he wasnt that 5.5 guy, and he explained to me that when he is at the plate his approach is always to hit it through the pitchers legs, cause there is nobody there to get you out. So while hitting he proceeded to hit 10 consecutive pitches right back through the hole in the net where the ball came out (roughly the size of a softball) I was in shock. He told me also that if you work on hitting the ball the other way in the cages, when you get in the game that pitch is going to be coming a little faster, and you are going to foul alot of pitches off, which made sense.

To wrap up, I thanked Tony and started about my cleanup, he said goodbye and was walking to his car, when I saw that 32-30 still leaned against the cage with a pair of brand new Franklin batting gloves on it (the ones he wore that day at the camp) I grabbed them and chased him to his car, saying Tony you forgot your stuff, to which he replied.

"Those aren't mine D."

That summer I played in a wood bat league and stupidly although successfully used Tony's bat to the tune of a .432 BA, but broke it during the last game of the season. I kept it in shards for a couple years, but after a few moves it disappeared.

I will always have that memory of Tony. What a man, what a hitter, what a human being
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: -2)

Postby silverZ » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Great story, man. Thanks for sharing.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby ayebatter » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:54 am

silverZ wrote:Great story, man. Thanks for sharing.

Nice story - he will be missed. :,-(
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby wrveres » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:44 am

Padsin05 wrote:my personal Tony story from the UTsandiego forum discussion on his passing

My fondest moment on a personal level of Tony Gwynn would have to have come in 1993.

I was playing JUCO at Grossmont, and was working for the San Diego School of Baseball at the time as an assistant (shag balls, set up, clean up, basically do whatever they ask). One afternoon after one of the hitting clinics was over, there were 2 of us assistants hanging around getting things cleaned up. Tony stayed late to sign autographs for every kid in attendance (well over 1000). I had spoken quite a bit to Tony over the year, he knew me, he addressed me by name, he never made me feel like just a random person, anyways as he was walking out one day, he asked me how my season was going. I was doing pretty good, and had been working on taking the ball the other way (as a lefty) so I brought up my approach to him.

He put down his stuff and went into the cage with me, asking me to show him rather than tell him. For about 15 mins he sat and watched as I attempted to replicate his 5.5 approach. I was a pretty good "slappy" type hitter, your prototypical 80's 90's style no 2 hitter. Anyways he didnt say anything for 15 mins, which I thought was odd. I always was used to a mouth in my ear every time I hit. From my Dad, to my high school coach, up to Eddie Olsen at GC.

After I was done he took a few swings, and showed me a couple tips. It was amazing. When he hit in the cage, he wasnt that 5.5 guy, and he explained to me that when he is at the plate his approach is always to hit it through the pitchers legs, cause there is nobody there to get you out. So while hitting he proceeded to hit 10 consecutive pitches right back through the hole in the net where the ball came out (roughly the size of a softball) I was in shock. He told me also that if you work on hitting the ball the other way in the cages, when you get in the game that pitch is going to be coming a little faster, and you are going to foul alot of pitches off, which made sense.

To wrap up, I thanked Tony and started about my cleanup, he said goodbye and was walking to his car, when I saw that 32-30 still leaned against the cage with a pair of brand new Franklin batting gloves on it (the ones he wore that day at the camp) I grabbed them and chased him to his car, saying Tony you forgot your stuff, to which he replied.

"Those aren't mine D."

That summer I played in a wood bat league and stupidly although successfully used Tony's bat to the tune of a .432 BA, but broke it during the last game of the season. I kept it in shards for a couple years, but after a few moves it disappeared.

I will always have that memory of Tony. What a man, what a hitter, what a human being
love it ..

rip tony
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers