Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Strange strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strange strategy

Postby devo8080 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Sorry if I'm not posting this in the right place but it didn't seem to fit anywhere. I'm in a yahoo pro h2h league and the current first place team is employing a strategy that I never would have considered and am wondering what you all think of it. Basically, he owns no starting pitchers and just 6 relief pitchers. He wins ERA, WHIP and typically saves each week. What do you think of this? He's obviously punting wins and k's but it seems to be working. He has a ton of position players which I would find annoying in constantly having to decide who to start/bench. Anyway, just wondering if you've seen this before.
devo8080
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Strange strategy

Postby MadDog36 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:08 pm

I've never completely punted starting pitching before. But in a deep league once I used 8 RP. 4 closer sand 4 elite MRP. My starters were Verlander, Kershaw, Halladay, Tim Hudson (for QS and W) and Jon Lester. I also had one spot I'd stream for a weekly 2 starter. Needless to say I dominated my league. My offense was unbelievably stacked and I traded a bench OF for Verlander to solidify my staff
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1766)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby devo8080 » Mon May 12, 2014 5:42 pm

MadDog36 wrote:I've never completely punted starting pitching before. But in a deep league once I used 8 RP. 4 closer sand 4 elite MRP. My starters were Verlander, Kershaw, Halladay, Tim Hudson (for QS and W) and Jon Lester. I also had one spot I'd stream for a weekly 2 starter. Needless to say I dominated my league. My offense was unbelievably stacked and I traded a bench OF for Verlander to solidify my staff

Thanks for your reply. I guess my follow up question is whether this is something I should consider employing or is it too late now since I've already drafted? Although the way my team is currently constructed, it'd make more sense to punt Saves since i lose every week there anyway. My team below for what it's worth. I'm struggling to date with some key injuries and less than stellar pitching. Wonder if I should just get rid of the Rondon and Kelley and completely punt saves.

Salvador Pérez KC - C
Albert Pujols LAA - 1B
Gordon Beckham CWS - 2B
Adrian Beltre TEX - 3B
José Reyes Tor - SS
Andrew McCutchen Pit - OF
Matt Kemp LAD - OF
Ángel Pagán SF - OF
Anthony Rizzo ChC - 1B
Adrián González LAD - 1B
Shane Victorino Bos - OF
Elvis Andrus Tex - SS
Jason Kipnis Cle - 2B Disabled List
Mark Trumbo Ari - 1B,OF Disabled List

Dan Haren LAD - SP
Lance Lynn StL - SP
Drew Smyly Det - SP,RP
Héctor Rondón ChC - RP
Shawn Kelley NYY - RP
Ian Kennedy SD - SP
Alfredo Simón Cin - SP,RP
Marco Estrada Mil - SP
Hyun-jin Ryu LAD - SP Disabled List
Julio Teherán Atl - SP
devo8080
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon May 12, 2014 7:26 pm

This is why H2h without proper starts or IP mins and maxs is basically just a joke\a day trading exercise. Your league should have put in a decent min and max start\IP limit and this nonsense would go away. In real baseball they use starting pitchers and do not add\drop pitchers by the dozens over the season.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2502)

Postby OBPlover » Tue May 13, 2014 4:26 am

I thought the Yahoo Pro Leagues had a minimum weekly innings pitched?

Anyways, it's too late now to employ this strategy. You need airtight closers to ensure it's very rare for a closer to get rocked. One bad outing will ruin your ERA and WHIP for the week. In H2H this can be an effective strategy but it's not as good for ROTO. This strategy usually guarantees you will be in the top 3, but it's hard to win first place.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 95)

Postby IveGotTheRuns » Tue May 13, 2014 5:05 am

It's definitely too late for you to employ now, since the strategy revolves around getting the few elite closers and middle relievers in baseball. This is definitely an example of why you need a decent minimum number of innings pitched (at least 20). You also need to cap the number of starts and/or pickups per week to prevent an owner from streaming 20 starters every week with several stud closers to dominate K's, W's, and Sv's while obliterating their ERA and WHIP. If you play in a H2H league that doesn't place some meaningful upper and lower limits on innings it's highly advisable to spend most of your money on hitting to ensure you clean up on that side, then employ either the relievers or streamers strategy to lock up 3/5 pitching categories. Always know your league's rules and which strategies will give you the best shot at winning.
IveGotTheRuns
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions