Return to Baseball Leftovers

Let's talk about Miggy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Let's talk about Miggy

Postby mkultra » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:49 pm

We're into Week 4, and Miguel Cabrera is hitting .220 with an OBP of .292 and only 1 home run. Al Melchor over at CBS had an interesting write-up on him:

Al Melchior wrote:According to the PitchFX data on FanGraphs.com, Cabrera is seeing the highest percentage of pitches in the strike zone (51.4 percent) of his career, and he has not been taking advantage of it. Though he is swinging and missing at a rate in line with his recent norms, Cabrera has been taking strikes far more often than he does typically and even more often than the major league average.

The swing percentage data on BrooksBaseball.net shows that Cabrera was also not swinging much last September. Then again, there have been plenty of other times when Cabrera has been a more passive hitter (Aug. 2012, for example), and it hasn't always corresponded with subpar performance. It's not clear why Cabrera isn't swinging the bat or what impact that has on his current slump.

Are we looking at a persistent, nagging injury, à la Albert Pujols? Is he just off to a slow start? If you're a Miggy owner, how long are you holding out before you start looking to sell?
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Let's talk about Miggy

Postby legoshoe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:52 pm

I'm thinking slow start, it is still VERY early. I turned out an offer for Goldy already so I'm circling the wagons around him.
legoshoe
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:58 pm

Slow start. I bet if you looked at last year you could find a 3 week period when he did just as bad.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:00 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Slow start. I bet if you looked at last year you could find a 3 week period when he did just as bad.

Yeah it was at the end of the season when he was clearly hurt. Other than that it was nothing but dominance.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby silverZ » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:30 pm

The beast will be unleashed any day now. Buy low if you can!
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Hi. It's April 21st.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Postby converge241 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:03 am

NikkiSixx wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Slow start. I bet if you looked at last year you could find a 3 week period when he did just as bad.

Yeah it was at the end of the season when he was clearly hurt. Other than that it was nothing but dominance.

And remember where he finished the overall year ranked in fantasy performance even minus that month. I think as an owner you arent feeling great because you paid a lot for him but you have to ignore this for a while more. I could see benching him until he sparks but cant cut bait by trading low or the like if anyone is an owner. I owned him in one league traded him away for a package just because he was very costly to keep but its not like I am looking back saying thank god I shipped him off (based on his results). I took Trout over him after drawing #1 in an AL league but it wasnt an "easy" call even with the hindsight.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby wingman3110 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:16 am

I own Miggy. Took him #2 overall. The only way I am trading him straight up at this point in time is for Mike Trout. Now if I get offered a 2 for 1, that's a different story.

I think Miggy will be fine. Let the weather warm up a bit and give him another week or two before we go full on panic mode.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 45)

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:27 am

converge241 wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:

And remember where he finished the overall year ranked in fantasy performance even minus that month. I think as an owner you arent feeling great because you paid a lot for him but you have to ignore this for a while more. I could see benching him until he sparks but cant cut bait by trading low or the like if anyone is an owner. I owned him in one league traded him away for a package just because he was very costly to keep but its not like I am looking back saying thank god I shipped him off (based on his results). I took Trout over him after drawing #1 in an AL league but it wasnt an "easy" call even with the hindsight.

The point was the last time he played this bad it was because of injury...

I haven't heard anything, and in fact I just bought Miggy in my money league. Might have overpaid but oh well, I now own Trout and Cabrera (Gave Harper, J Upton, Shields for Cabrera, Heyward, Blackmon). If Miggy returns back to his MVP form (which I expect him to) then it will look like a great trade for me IMO.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby germani40 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:04 am

NikkiSixx wrote:
converge241 wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Yeah it was at the end of the season when he was clearly hurt. Other than that it was nothing but dominance.

The point was the last time he played this bad it was because of injury...

I haven't heard anything, and in fact I just bought Miggy in my money league. Might have overpaid but oh well, I now own Trout and Cabrera (Gave Harper, J Upton, Shields for Cabrera, Heyward, Blackmon). If Miggy returns back to his MVP form (which I expect him to) then it will look like a great trade for me IMO.

I read/heard that he is swinging with 2 hands this year rather than 1 like in years past. They said it could be because he doesnt have confidence in his hip or that his hip is bothering him because typically a 1 handed swing lets you explode your hips more. I cant remember where I saw that (might have been CBS but I cant recall for sure) and I dont know how legitimate it is so take that how you want.
germani40
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 78)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers