13%
Tampa
23%
Canada
17%

Total votes : 30

Re: Week 3, Cheering and Venting and hit the ball already

Postby wingman3110 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:23 am

colt4523 wrote:Anyone trying to buy low on Justin Masterson? I was thinking of trying to get him. Will he bounce back?

You can try, but I just do not think he is very good. As an Indians fan I'd let the owner who has him now keep him unless I get an exceptional offer.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 45)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:47 am

wingman3110 wrote:
colt4523 wrote:Anyone trying to buy low on Justin Masterson? I was thinking of trying to get him. Will he bounce back?

You can try, but I just do not think he is very good. As an Indians fan I'd let the owner who has him now keep him unless I get an exceptional offer.

The entire Indians pitching staff last year playing way over their heads. The only one I believed in to continue the success this season was Kazmir and that's why he is the only member of last years Indians staff I own (ok, I own Cody Allen...). Masterson I gave some consideration, but I just wasn't a big enough believer in him, but I think he is better than his last couple games.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:28 pm

OBPlover wrote:One of those 3 votes for who is going to win the AL East - Yankees, is from me. For the record.

They have the best Starting pitching in the division, now with Matt Moore and Cobb out for a while. Tanaka looks great so far and Pineda looks like he's come back all the way. Kuroda is ever-underrated. Yeah CC hasn't looked that hot. The Yanks need to put him on a strict pitch count. Still great starting pitching and their lineup is underrated.

The issue they have is that you need to score runs in order to win.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -101)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 pm

Random pet peeve time:

Fantasy Focus Baseball had an email Question today:
A fan asked why Tristan Cockroft had put Dee Gordon #239 on his personal overall ranks. It's worth noting that Dee Gordon already has 10 stolen bases and is currently 8th on the player rater.

Eric Karabell took him to task on it and he offered some (weak) analytical/statistical justification for the ranking. Now I think we all have to admit that 32 major league teams with 25 man rosters, deep minor league systems, injuries, breakouts, hot streaks, and slumps make it pretty much impossible to accurately rank 200+ players relative to one another. You'd have to have your finger on the pulse of absolutely every situation, every lineup battle, every advanced metric, every recent trend, and every player's history to really be able to do a task as imposing as ranking a field of ~300 major league players.

That said, ranking Dee Gordon outside of the top 200 is ludicrous and indefensible. It's inevitable that mistakes of this magnitude will make it into fantasy articles, not disputing that for one second, so posting such comprehensive rankings and expecting that there won't be a handful of players will be ranked indefensibly is also borderline ridiculous.

This is what I liked about Matthew Berry. He ranked football guys for the week on Wednesday and occasionally Nate Ravitz would call him out on a ranking being indefensible on Thursday on the air and he'd cop to it and say that he needed to move a guy up or down or whatever. Why is it so hard for fantasy analysts to do that?

We know there are going to be guys who are ranked at spots that are not possible to justify, it would be refreshing if analysts would just ADMIT IT when something slipped through the cracks like that.

End rant.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:59 pm

Didn't Dee Gordon not even have a job going into spring training? I hardly think that ranking is ludicrous and indefensible considering how awful Gordon has been so far in the majors.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:14 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:Didn't Dee Gordon not even have a job going into spring training? I hardly think that ranking is ludicrous and indefensible considering how awful Gordon has been so far in the majors.

If I overstated a bit, it wasn't by much. There probably aren't 150 players I couldn't trade him for. He's 25 years old and on pace for 120 SBs.

It's a hot start, yeah, and maybe he doesn't (more like didn't at this point) have an exclusive hold on the 2nd base job, but even if there's just a 50/50 shot that he keeps the job all year, that's still a 50/50 shot at 65+ SBs (if not more), which alone is easily worth a top 150 ranking. So yeah, I think 239 is indefensible if not ludicrous.

I guarantee you people are trading top 100 players for him right now, and justified or unjustified, there's an element of perception equals reality that plays into the valuation of players. Even if he bombs from this point forward and ends up outside of the top 200 on the player rater, the selling opportunity that he represents right now is easily worth much, much more than a 239 ranking.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:24 pm

The 239 ranking was made before the season. Comparing his perceived value now (after an unsustainably hot start) to a pre-season ranking doesn't make any sense.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby germani40 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:The 239 ranking was made before the season. Comparing his perceived value now (after an unsustainably hot start) to a pre-season ranking doesn't make any sense.

He updates his rest of season rankings weekly on Wednesdays.
germani40
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 78)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:27 pm

germani40 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:The 239 ranking was made before the season. Comparing his perceived value now (after an unsustainably hot start) to a pre-season ranking doesn't make any sense.

My bad then, I was under the impression we were talking about pre-season rankings.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:36 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
germani40 wrote:

My bad then, I was under the impression we were talking about pre-season rankings.

Yeah, what he said, this was as of yesterday. Again, I might be overstating a bit, but I don't think so. I also don't want to excessively disparage Cockroft as I generally like him. Ordinarily in situations like these I just tell myself "Analyst X is wrong about player X, I'll take what he says about this particular player with a grain of salt" and move on.

Again, the word most apt for these kinds of rankings is still "inevitable" even among "pros" so I'm not really throwing him under the bus for the ranking itself. I just would find it refreshing if fantasy analysts would just say "hey it's hard to rank that many players and taking a second look I got this one wrong." Matthew Berry does that and I have no lack of respect for him because of it.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers