Return to Baseball Leftovers

2014 early season illusions and realities

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2014 early season illusions and realities

Postby BChinly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:29 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
DbacksRback wrote:Thoughts on Morse?

A healthy Michael Morse is a good hitter IMO. That whole Giants offense is underrated. If Morse plays all year (unlikely), he might squeeze out a top 10-15 1b value.

With the addition of Morse, and Belt off to a good year, even without Scutaro, I think the Giants have one of the deepest lineups in the league
Bringing back Activeness with Boredom.
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby skjelstrom » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:53 pm

The Volquez project in PIT reminds me a lot of the the Liriano project. He may just be pitching WAY over his head, but wasn't he once touted for his "stuff" but needed to tame his wildness?

Any thoughts?
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:14 am

skjelstrom wrote:The Volquez project in PIT reminds me a lot of the the Liriano project. He may just be pitching WAY over his head, but wasn't he once touted for his "stuff" but needed to tame his wildness?

Any thoughts?

They've done a great job limiting his BB, which has been maybe his biggest problem as a major leaguer. Now, I don't know that he can keep it as low as he has, but even if he keeps it close, he should continue to be successful. I'm willing to take a shot on him, even if it's sitting on my bench to see if he turns into a pumpkin.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:36 am

For the most part I was relatively accurate... Bryce Harper's injury was a setback but he has played pretty well since returning, but he has been a major bust for anyone that took him no doubt about it. Braun has also been good not great, but I think we have seen him officially fall from the elite. Mark Trumbo was the reason I made this thread at all.... then I decided to just add more players to the list because its fun!
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby OBPlover » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:20 pm

Who was that guy who said Cory Kluber's early season struggles were an illusion? hmmm....
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 95)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:52 am

OBPlover wrote:Who was that guy who said Cory Kluber's early season struggles were an illusion? hmmm....

The same guy who disagreed with the original poster's prediction of Freddie Freeman's low RBI total. Congratulations, you know and trust xFIP. You can pick up your trophy in one of the 85 subforums here. There are few worse things than people who love patting themselves on the back. The icing on the cake is when they ignore their misses, which seems to most often be the case.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby DbacksRback » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:06 am

bigh0rt wrote:
OBPlover wrote:Who was that guy who said Cory Kluber's early season struggles were an illusion? hmmm....

The same guy who disagreed with the original poster's prediction of Freddie Freeman's low RBI total. Congratulations, you know and trust xFIP. You can pick up your trophy in one of the 85 subforums here. There are few worse things than people who love patting themselves on the back. The icing on the cake is when they ignore their misses, which seems to most often be the case.

:-b Oh snap
DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 20)

Postby OBPlover » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:57 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

What a totally inappropriate reaction to a tongue in cheek comment.

Nikki revived this post and mentioned all of the accurate predictions. Should I condemn Nikki for bragging? On the contrary, I applaud Nikki's efforts and look forward to reading some of the 2015 predictions. I know if I look hard enough I will find some missteps but that isn't the point. Nobody is 100% accurate at predicting the future.

Yes I used Xfip to predict Kluber's recovery. The day before I made the post, Kluber had a bad start in Toornto and 2500 teams dropped him in Yahoo fantasy, So it appears that not everyone appreciates Xfip. IS there some other tool besides statistics that people use to make predictions?

And anyways, the FF comment wasn't too far off. The basis of his low RBI projection was predicated upon a terrible Braves offense around him. Not Freddie having a bad season. I couldn't foresee his total lack of power. At age 24, I wouldn't have expected his power to drop. He should have 5-10 more HRs by now, given his age and improved health over the past year With the extra HRs, he probably has another 10 or so Rbis. And he will still probably come in at around 75-80 RBIs. With some added Hr's he would project to finish at 85-95 Rbis. Not really so bad.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 95)

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:25 pm

Sorry if it looks like I'm patting myself on the back here. I did say I was wrong about Braun and Harper, and Kazmir's recent play almost offsets the way I was talking him up this year in spring training. I don't understand the point of making predictions if they are going to be forgotten. And I did put quite a bit of effort into making this so I likely would have bumped it even if I had 6 misses.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

2014 early season illusions and realities

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:48 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

1. I know OBP is kind of a knob sometimes, but this is a harsh for your general positivity, h0rt.

2. Which one of these 85 sub forums is everyone hiding in, because it sure isn't here or GT.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers