Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

League Format Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

League Format Help

Postby Knights » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:24 pm

I joined a points league for the first time this season to help the league bump up it's number of teams... but I know so little about points leagues.

Here's the scoring system that's in place. Given this system, what positions or stats should I be focused on acquiring? It seems to me that closers probably aren't too highly valued. But other than that, is this a more pitcher-friendly or hitter-friendly league setup?

Batting
Home Runs (HR) 4
Total Bases (TB) 1
Walks (BB) 1
Runs Scored (R) 1
Runs Batted In (RBI) 1
Stolen Bases (SB) 1
Strikeouts (K) -1

Pitching
Innings Pitched (IP) 3
Earned Runs (ER) -2
Saves (SV) 5
Strikeouts (K) 1
Hits Allowed (H) -1
Walks Issued (BB) -1
Quality Starts (QS) 5
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: League Format Help

Postby Emerald City Blues » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:57 pm

In this format, I'd be getting nothing but high strikeout stud pitchers, power guys who can hit 30+ HRs and have high OBP (like Votto, Miggy, etc), and stud closers. Forget everything else.

1. Every SP with a quality start and 5 strikeouts will get you 10 points. NOTE: I'm not sure what this one means: "Innings Pitched (IP) 3"....If it means you get 3pts per IP, then SPs get a boost in value for your league. A pitcher who goes 6 innings, strikes out 5, earns 3 runs, gives up 4 hits and 3 walks, will get you 15pts (+18 pts for IPs, +5pts for the QS, +5pts for Ks, and -6 for ERs, -7 for walks & hits)
2. Every will Home Run should produce 10 points for you (4 for the HR, 4 for 4 total bases, 1 for a Run Scored, and 1 for an RBI)
3. Every RP with 1IP, 1SV, and 1K, and no walks/hits will give you 9pts.

Stolen bases, i wouldn't worry too much about. They're a tiebreaker at best...10SBs produce as much as 1HR. I wouldn't chase after them at the expense of HR power and high walk rates.

Pls help w/ mine: viewtopic.php?t=469046

Knights wrote:I joined a points league for the first time this season to help the league bump up it's number of teams... but I know so little about points leagues.

Here's the scoring system that's in place. Given this system, what positions or stats should I be focused on acquiring? It seems to me that closers probably aren't too highly valued. But other than that, is this a more pitcher-friendly or hitter-friendly league setup?

Batting
Home Runs (HR) 4
Total Bases (TB) 1
Walks (BB) 1
Runs Scored (R) 1
Runs Batted In (RBI) 1
Stolen Bases (SB) 1
Strikeouts (K) -1

Pitching
Innings Pitched (IP) 3
Earned Runs (ER) -2
Saves (SV) 5