Return to Baseball Leftovers

George Springer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

George Springer

Postby kaiser » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:35 pm

I've become obsessed with being the guy who gets him in my leagues, but with tight rosters, I don't have room to stash him right now. I'm pretty sure the Astros are going to wait at least another 7 or 8 days, so that they can get past that 11-game arbitration mark. If I knew that was the case, I'd grab him right now. But it may be as late as mid-June that they bring him up. Anyone have an opinion on most likely scenario?
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 176)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: George Springer

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:44 am

in 2008, I drafted Longoria and held him on my roster till June. I've happily owned him ever since.

Last year I did the same with Wil Myers and was able to trade him, the day he got called up, for Greinke and Beachy.

If you think he's the guy and you believe... hold on to him. it's worth it. if he comes up and hits, youre a genious. if he doesn't, at least you weren't holding on to some guy them batted .150 for you team for 6 weeks. all he cost you was a bench spot.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:24 pm

I got him dirt cheap in two leagues. $2 in a deep mixed, and $3 in an AL Only. He only has to play a month or two to be worth $3 in an AL Only. And if he's called up in June he'll almost certainly be worth double digits.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby timozbuck » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:53 pm

kaiser wrote:I've become obsessed with being the guy who gets him in my leagues, but with tight rosters, I don't have room to stash him right now. I'm pretty sure the Astros are going to wait at least another 7 or 8 days, so that they can get past that 11-game arbitration mark. If I knew that was the case, I'd grab him right now. But it may be as late as mid-June that they bring him up. Anyone have an opinion on most likely scenario?

I'd imagine he won't be up until after the Super 2 cutoff...usually in June sometime.
timozbuck Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby silverZ » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:51 pm

timozbuck wrote:
kaiser wrote:I've become obsessed with being the guy who gets him in my leagues, but with tight rosters, I don't have room to stash him right now. I'm pretty sure the Astros are going to wait at least another 7 or 8 days, so that they can get past that 11-game arbitration mark. If I knew that was the case, I'd grab him right now. But it may be as late as mid-June that they bring him up. Anyone have an opinion on most likely scenario?

I'd imagine he won't be up until after the Super 2 cutoff...usually in June sometime.

This is my guess as well. Unless he suddenly agrees to the extension the Astro's offered him they have no bsuiness reason to bring him up before then.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby Garry26 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:49 pm

Yes just be sure to be 1st to grab him when June comes along. An easier task if someone on your team hits the DL, or a lesser player is stinking it up....
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby fantasycafe101 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:25 am

Looks like June is coming early. Snag him now if you still can!
fantasycafe101
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby silverZ » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:22 am

Who took April 16th in their Springer pool? no one? ok then. :-L
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:21 pm

Selfish rant here...drafted Springer in a 12 team mixed that only has 3 bench spots...my team is off to a slow start so I dropped him Monday afternoon for a double starter SP this week...woke up to my best friend texting me about Springer being called up...BAH.

Here's hoping to Javier Baez being called up soon now!
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers