Return to Baseball Leftovers

Streaming Pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Streaming Pitchers

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:39 pm

This is a thread I'm making so that people can put down their ideas for their favorite spot starts in the upcoming day. This week since I've dropped Parnell in my money league, I have spot started Robbie Ross, and Wandy Rodriguez over the last 2 days (no wins sadly, but good K's as they faced bad offenses). Today I'm starting Travis Wood against the Phillies because I like starting decent lefties against a Phillies lineup full of left handed hitters (like with Robbie Ross). The Cubs don't give the best run support but watch this be my only win as the Rangers and Pirates didn't give me run support over the last 2 days either lol.

My spot start pick for tomorrow (and a sleeper that can potentially have a nice season long effect on fantasy rosters), Is Tyler Skaggs of the LA Angels, who is going up against the Houston Astros.

Skaggs, as most of you know, is a former top prospect who hasn't quite panned out in the majors. However, in spring training he was hitting 95 mph on his fastball, something he has never done before at the major league level. he has only ever topped out at 93 mph in the majors, and last year he was only hitting 89 mph (still didn't stop him from getting almost a K per inning in a 38 inning sample size last year). So I will be streaming Skaggs against a weak Astros lineup and I'll hope for the best.

Hopefully we can use this thread all season long for some inside information on the best pitchers to stream in our fantasy leagues! ;-D
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Streaming Pitchers

Postby Izenhart » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:44 pm

I watched all of Skaggs spring training and he is still scary to own. He's still a wild thing on the mound, but the extra velocity is definitely helping induce more missed swings. Houston would be a good place to welcome him to your streaming rotation.

I tend to work backwards when deciding who to stream; I'll check and see who the Marlins, 'Stros, Cubs and lolMets are up against, and also the Braves because 44% of their lineup could conceivably hit under .200

I'll blindly pick to stream against any of them for today and see how it works out :*)
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Izenhart wrote:I watched all of Skaggs spring training and he is still scary to own. He's still a wild thing on the mound, but the extra velocity is definitely helping induce more missed swings. Houston would be a good place to welcome him to your streaming rotation.

I tend to work backwards when deciding who to stream; I'll check and see who the Marlins, 'Stros, Cubs and lolMets are up against, and also the Braves because 44% of their lineup could conceivably hit under .200

I'll blindly pick to stream against any of them for today and see how it works out :*)

Yeah Skaggs seems like a boom or bust type pitcher.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:58 pm

I use Vegas as a pretty large contributing factor when I'm deciding who to spot-start. Mainly because I'm in a H2H Points League, though, where I get points for QS and W. Still, if Vegas has faith that a guy is going to pitch a good game, I see no reason why I shouldn't. Typically this means I can't decide on who to spot until later in the evening when the early lines are released. For example, today I'm sure plenty of people are rolling Leake against the Mets. I actually find Jake Odorizzi against the Rangers to be a much more enticing play, as about a -150 favorite, depending where you look. Dan Straily is the guy I'd ideally want, though. -150 favorite, with a 7.5 Total Run Line. Today it would've been a toss up for Straily and Odorizzi, methinks. Interested to see how each does now.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Odorizzi: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 4 K, 0 ER, 0.00 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, currently up 8 - 0 so Win extremely likely. Would've been a good one today.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Odorizzi: 6.0 IP, 3 H, 3 BB, 4 K, 0 ER, 0.00 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, currently up 8 - 0 so Win extremely likely. Would've been a good one today.

I considered him. Wish I would have went with him but at least Wood got me 8 K's.

Straily was rained out.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:00 pm

Tomorrow I like Carlos Carrasco, or Skaggs if you're willing to risk meltdown.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:34 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Tomorrow I like Carlos Carrasco, or Skaggs if you're willing to risk meltdown.

Only good thing to take from Carrasco's start was the 7 K's, bleh. Otherwise 5.2 IP, 7 H, 2 BB, 4 ER (5 R), and essentially no chance at a Win, down 5 - 1 in the 9th. I think Skaggs will fare better tonight, but again, he has the gas eruption possibility.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:40 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Tomorrow I like Carlos Carrasco, or Skaggs if you're willing to risk meltdown.

Only good thing to take from Carrasco's start was the 7 K's, bleh. Otherwise 5.2 IP, 7 H, 2 BB, 4 ER (5 R), and essentially no chance at a Win, down 5 - 1 in the 9th. I think Skaggs will fare better tonight, but again, he has the gas eruption possibility.

Well I am rolling with Skaggs! So I'm hoping for the very least a bunch of K's. A win would be fantastic.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:54 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

Well I am rolling with Skaggs! So I'm hoping for the very least a bunch of K's. A win would be fantastic.

That worked out well. Tomorrow I like Nathan Eovaldi at Home against the Padres.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers