Return to Baseball Leftovers

How long do you wait to drop guys?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How long do you wait to drop guys?

Postby dpdale » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:50 am

How long do you usually wait to start tinkering with the questionable back end of the roster guys?
dpdale
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How long do you wait to drop guys?

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:15 am

dpdale wrote:How long do you usually wait to start tinkering with the questionable back end of the roster guys?

It really depends more on who I'm adding to my team than who I'm dropping from my team. I'm not an owner who looks at a slumping player or a slow starter, and looks to drop them. The "is it time to drop Player X?" camp. I'm more in the, "do I mind cutting ties with Player X, in order to give Player Y a shot on my team" camp. If it's a guy I just took a flyer on, in favor of another guy I just took a flyer on, I don't mind using a few weeks for a batter or a few starts for a pitcher, if someone is showing promise, potential, or some new skill that may make them valuable. If it's somebody I sunk some $ or a reasonable pick on, I'll generally wait until Memorial Day until I'll give any real consideration to replacing them on my roster, and then again still, it's not just for some guy who I may drop right back into Free Agency in a week or so. It's a delicate balance, trying to figure out when the right time is to cut ties with a player, or when to let him ride something out on your bench. Sometimes you make the right call, and other times you get burned by dumping a guy who has a major turnaround, or holding onto a guy who never gets it together. The last few slots on your team, you can be pretty liberal with. Let's say you are interested in taking a flyer on James Paxton, if for some reason he's available in your league. I'd have no issue dumping a guy I was only taking a flyer on to begin with, for another guy I'm seeing if he can be productive.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:29 am

Uninjured guys with a track record I don't even think about it in April. But like hort said if it is someone you took a flyer on late in the draft I have no problem swapping him out for someone starting off hot.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:37 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:But like hort said if it is someone you took a flyer on late in the draft I have no problem swapping him out for someone starting off hot.
this.
I just swapped Ike Davis for Hicks for example.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby Philly_05 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:06 am

I'm fairly patient with my back half. I will make the moves if I have free space which I have had a lot of this yera thanks to many DL trips. Or if it's someone I see no future with on my team that I couldn't find a trading partner for. I picked up McGee in a few leagues that use multiple utility positions and CI. I decided to move on from Morneau in my dynasty league to chase some saves with Aroldis on the DL. The move I was not patient on that could help another team would be my dropping of Scheppers. It's roto and I just don't care enough to wait for him to go back to the setup role. I would never start him as a SP in that league. So I dropped him for Paco Rodriguez who should get plenty of holds.
Philly_05
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 461)

Postby fast dogs » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:10 am

depends alot on size of the league and roster makeup; if you are in a large league you wait alot longer. If it is a small 1 with a talented FA pool you constantly are changing
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 417)

Postby dpdale » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:49 am

Thanks for all the responses!
dpdale
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Garry26 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:12 pm

This depends on the type of player he projects to be, my teams current needs, FA breakout availability, etc.

Examples:
Khris Davis- 38/136ABs 27runs 11HRs 27RBIs 3SBs .279BA last year. A full seasons of that, (about 544ABS) translates into 100+Runs, 44HRs, 100+RBIs 280AVG.
Are you giving up on that possibility easily? I won't. That's for sure.

A light hitting SS/2B with maybe a few steals- Sure I will give up on that quickly.

A light hititng super speedster- Yes I will give up on him quickly if I have options.

There are other factors in my reasoning as well. If there's a breakout on the wire, someone I can't drop hits the DL and I need space for a viable replacement, a newly named closer is available and I could use another one, etc. In cases like this, lesser back-end guys are more likely to get the boot. However, guys like K Davis, Abreau and other highly touted, high production prospects will get longer ropes. Especially if they are producing.

No one wants to be the idiot who dropped the next Chris Davis or SP equivalent.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Return to Baseball Leftovers