Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/3 Cheering, Venting, and pitching circa 1968

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

4/3 Cheering, Venting, and pitching circa 1968

Postby Izenhart » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:19 am

Runs have been hard to come by this season. It's already apparent looking at roto standings where a .250 batting average is good for first place in one league I am in. Yesterday featured all 30 MLB teams playing 16 games (One double header) and accumulating just 99 runs, or 3.09 runs per team. Of the 16 games, 5 shutouts were thrown including one 16 inning affair. April is typically a month where the pitching is ahead of hitters, but this is quite unexpected considering there are over 100 pitchers on the MLB DL, including 30 projected starters. Granted we aren't into the back end of the pitching rotations yet, but so far the studs have been just that. (Unless you are Cliff Lee)

Harang pitched two hit ball and Atlanta's lone run came on a homer, continuing their 2013 record setting trend of highest % of runs scored via the homer. Cingrani was sharp in his 7 shutout innings against a STL team that typically doesn't hit lefties well (Which is surprising when the middle of their lineup features Craig, Holliday and Molina) and he will look to face them again in his second start. Will the second time around go as smoothly when they just saw him last week? His opponent, Wacha, also posted a string of doughnuts and looks every bit the ace he was in last year's playoffs where he beat Kershaw twice. Scherzer, like Wacha and Cingrani also received a no decision despite throwing 8 shutout innings against KC.

Also, the Mets and Yankees lost again. It's fun to type but even more fun to read. O:-)

Todays projected MLB matchups are:

12:35 PM ET CSCh/ROOT
ChC: J. Hammel (0-0, - ERA)
Pit: W. Rodriguez (0-0, - ERA)

12:35 PM ET FSMW/FSOH
StL: L. Lynn (0-0, - ERA)
Cin: H. Bailey (0-0, - ERA)

12:40 PM ET FSFL
Col: F. Morales (0-0, - ERA)
Mia: J. Turner (0-0, - ERA)

1:08 PM ET FSKC/FSDT
KC: Y. Ventura (0-0, - ERA)
Det: A. Sanchez (0-0, - ERA)

1:10 PM ET MASN/SNY
Was: J. Zimmermann (0-0, - ERA)
NYM: Z. Wheeler (0-0, - ERA)

2:10 PM ET FSN/WGN
Min: P. Hughes (0-0, - ERA)
CWS: J. Quintana (0-0, - ERA)

3:40 PM ET CSBy/FSAZ
SF: T. Lincecum (0-0, - ERA)
Ari: B. Arroyo (0-0, - ERA)

7:05 PM ET NESN/MASN
Bos: F. Doubront (0-0, - ERA)
Bal: W. Chen (0-0, - ERA)

7:10 PM ET SUN
Tor: B. Morrow (0-0, - ERA)
TB: C. Archer (0-0, - ERA)

8:10 PM ET YES/CSNH
NYY: I. Nova (0-0, - ERA)
Hou: B. Oberholtzer (0-0, - ERA)

10:05 PM ET ROOT/CSCA
Sea: R. Elias (0-0, - ERA)
Oak: J. Chavez (0-0, - ERA)
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/3 Cheering, Venting, and pitching circa 1968

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:50 am

Very disappointed that I won't be able to watch Wheeler pitch today. He looks to be one of the very few reasons to tune into the Mets at all this year, aside from potentially watching them break a record for strikeouts as a team. It only took 2 games, 9 AB, and 5 Ks to get the morning radio shows to start comparing Granderson to Jason Bay; so there's that.

I dodged one bullet yesterday, with a last minute decision to bench Kluber, but felt the other side of the blade as well, also benching James Paxton. Kluber gets the Padres next, so despite his poor performance yesterday, we'll be tempted to trot him out there (at least I will). It'll also be interesting to see how the aforementioned Paxton fares against the Halos, next week, in comparison to the Athletics, who he smoked last night.

With 6 starts left on my docket for the week, my projected starts look like...

4/4
Gerrit Cole vs STL
Danny Salazar vs MIN
4/5
Jose Fernandez vs SF
Julio Teheran @ WSH
Stephen Strasburg vs ATL
4/6
Alex Wood @ WSH

Lastly, hoping today is the day my team hits its first HR... :-S
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:52 am

Pitching ahead of hitting? Tell that to my closers. In the cafe league I drafted Jim Johnson, Nathan and Parnell. Just wondering now how I can trade for Papelbon.

In a few leagues got Morrow vs Archer (6yrs 25mil?)
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 am

Paxton was very good last night. I've got a good feeling about him this year. Excellent poise on the mound, and great location with his fastball that consistently hit 96-97 mph last night and touched 98. He allowed 4 base runner in 7 innings (with 9 K's) and 2 of those base runners allowed were Mike Trout. At one point he struck out 5 straight batters, and I can easily see him being this years AL rookie of the year.

Mike Trout hit a triple last night (almost a homer), and the ball literally got stuck in the wall. No bounce or anything, it just flew from his bat, and wedged itself perfectly inside the wall spacings before hitting anything else. That's probably what turned it into the triple as the outfielder was waiting for the ball to bounce back to him lol.

At this point of the season, is there anybody you guys are like "Man I wished I spent the extra couple bucks to own that guy..." ?? For me it's gotta be Cingrani and Jose Bautista. It's still early I know, but these guys were targets of mine I just didn't end up with, and to see the early success making them look like value picks it's a bummer to not own them! And the guy I'm happy I don't own, and never had a desire to own this year, is Albert Pujols.

I have Jordan Zimmermann and Wandy Rodriguez going today. My Robbie Ross experiment wasn't that great, but it wasn't that bad either. I can handle the 3.60 ERA and 7 K's in 5 innings. I was streaming for the win though! Much like I am with Wandy Rodriguez today.
Last edited by NikkiSixx on Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:20 am

NikkiSixx wrote:At this point of the season, is there anybody you guys are like "Man I wished I spent the extra couple bucks to own that guy..." ??

Yes, Paxton LOL. I filled my pitching rotations before I had a chance to pick him in any of my leagues that matter.

I took Lackey over him as my last pitching spot in every league (and Pineda in my cafe league) I have faith Lackey will work out, not so much Pineda, but then again I have no faith in any Yankee this year.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:11 am

Jordan Zimmermann scratched due to the flu. Tanner Roark to start today.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:24 am

NikkiSixx wrote:Jordan Zimmermann scratched due to the flu. Tanner Roark to start today.

O/U 7 strikeouts for Roark? Career 6.71 K/9 in 53 big league innings pitched, and I'd almost bank on 7 or more against the Mets, even if he only goes 5 innings.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:31 am

1:08 PM ET FSKC/FSDT
KC: Y. Ventura (0-0, - ERA)
Det: A. Sanchez (0-0, - ERA)

1:10 PM ET MASN/SNY
Was: J. Zimmermann (0-0, - ERA)
NYM: Z. Wheeler (0-0, - ERA)
thank god for split screen.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:33 am

Mookie4ever wrote:In a few leagues got Morrow
lol. i bet you got dickey too?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:34 am

NikkiSixx wrote:At this point of the season, is there anybody you guys are like "Man I wished I spent the extra couple bucks to own that guy..." ??
Jordan Zimmermann
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers