Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo lineup malfunction?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo lineup malfunction?

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:45 am

mayor quimby wrote:Why would one want to add a player and not be able to play him until the following day? If one of my players gets scratched I can't make a move right before the game? That's insane.

There is one big reason, and that's to have add/drops process at a single time every day, like with rolling waivers/daily FAAB. If you let people pick up players whenever they want, then the guy who sits at his computer all day ends up with all the injury replacements/new closers/prospect callups.

Now, if you already allow FA pickups whenever you want, then there are still reasons to not want the player in the lineup the same day. Again, you're giving an advantage to owners that micromanage their teams 24/7. Most people are at work when news is released of Hitter X taking a maintenance day, or Pitcher Y is scratched with a stiff neck. Most people don't want that micromanager to get tiny little advantages every day (which add up over the long-run) just because he doesn't have a job, or has a job that allows him to run his team all day.

Basically... fantasy baseball is a long-haul thing and the majority of serious owners prefer to be rewarded for quality of decisions, not quantity. This is why so many leagues use weekly FAAB/permanent waivers instead of 24/7 race-to-the-wire free agency, and lock rosters weekly, and limit the amount of add/drops in daily leagues. Obviously some prefer leagues where full devotion 24/7 determines the winner rather than how well they draft of spend their FAAB money. But just understand, that quite a few people outside of casual leagues don't like it that way.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mayor quimby » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:16 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Now, if you already allow FA pickups whenever you want, then there are still reasons to not want the player in the lineup the same day. Again, you're giving an advantage to owners that micromanage their teams 24/7.

Whether the setting is "daily - today" or "daily - tomorrow" has no bearing on "micromanagement." In the "daily - tomorrow" setting, when you add a player, that player is no longer a free agent, nobody can touch him, he is yours. The transaction shows on the homepage immediately. However, under this absurd setting, he doesn't show up in your lineup until the next day, again, for no reason whatsoever.

So, if the concern is giving micromanagers an advantage, both settings are equally advantageous to the micromanager. And as far as I'm concerned, micromanagement should be the key to success. First come first serve. Dog eat dog. Any other way is systematic and no fun.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:18 pm

mayor quimby wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Now, if you already allow FA pickups whenever you want, then there are still reasons to not want the player in the lineup the same day. Again, you're giving an advantage to owners that micromanage their teams 24/7.

Whether the setting is "daily - today" or "daily - tomorrow" has no bearing on "micromanagement." In the "daily - tomorrow" setting, when you add a player, that player is no longer a free agent, nobody can touch him, he is yours. The transaction shows on the homepage immediately. However, under this absurd setting, he doesn't show up in your lineup until the next day, again, for no reason whatsoever.

So, if the concern is giving micromanagers an advantage, both settings are equally advantageous to the micromanager. And as far as I'm concerned, micromanagement should be the key to success. First come first serve. Dog eat dog. Any other way is systematic and no fun.

Sounds like a great way for the unemployed to win fantasy baseball leagues. For the rest of us who work all day, though, we'd rather have league success be determined by pre-draft preparation, the quality of our add/drops instead of the quantity or availability, trading, and the like.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby mayor quimby » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:26 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Sounds like a great way for the unemployed to win fantasy baseball leagues. For the rest of us who work all day, though, we'd rather have league success be determined by pre-draft preparation, the quality of our add/drops instead of the quantity or availability, trading, and the like.

I've got a full time job and go to school three nights a week. In an age where every single person has a live twitter feed, email, fantasy notifications, etc. at his/her fingertips 24/7, I just can't see where you're coming from.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:32 pm

mayor quimby wrote:

Whether the setting is "daily - today" or "daily - tomorrow" has no bearing on "micromanagement."

Sure it does. The example you used in favour of Daily-Today was: "If one of my players gets scratched I can't make a move right before the game? That's insane."

That is textbook micromanagement that most people do not have time for in the middle of the day.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mayor quimby » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:49 pm

Skin Blues wrote:That is textbook micromanagement that most people do not have time for in the middle of the day.

You're not understanding. Regardless of the setting, once you pick up a free agent, he is yours. So I ask the question again: what is the benefit of having to wait until the next day for the player to show up on your roster? I'd like someone to give me a reason or example as to why this is anything other than a nuisance.

Using your theory, would it not be the same kind of "micromanagement" to simply slot in one of your bench players for one of your starters who has been scratched? It's the same exact principle. You are replacing someone who is not playing on your roster with someone who is. What difference does it make if it is a FA or a player sitting on your bench?
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:58 pm

mayor quimby wrote:You're not understanding. Regardless of the setting, once you pick up a free agent, he is yours. So I ask the question again: what is the benefit of having to wait until the next day for the player to show up on your roster?

Well, you're asking again, so I guess I'll answer it again in simpler terms: you're putting an active player in your roster for THAT DAY. A person who is not sitting next to a computer to see that the Tigers/Royals game was postponed is not able to go and pickup part-timer-who-happens-to-be-playing-today Corey Dickerson and slot him into his OF5 slot to replace non-playing Rajai Davis. It's not about making that player unavailable to other teams; it's about getting more active players into your lineup based on last-minute information becoming available.

And yes, moving around bench players throughout the day is also giving a similar advantage. It's why people use weekly rosters, few/zero bench spots, and it's why the leagues I run lock all rosters at the beginning of the first game of the day. So if games start at 12:05, nobody can swap players in and out of their lineup after that point. The only reason for this is to limit mid-day micromanaging.

It's a bit ironic that I'm discussing this in the early afternoon on a Thursday, but my workweek is Sun-Wed so it's my weekend, haha.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:43 am

I can also assure you that the behavior you think is insane and new is not new at all. Daily - Tomorrow has been the default league setting for many years. It is possible that you played in leagues in past years that were Daily - Today, but per the warnings given earlier, a good number of the leagues that switch to Daily - Today end up not liking it.

Daily - Tomorrow. You're sick of a guy. You want to drop him. You drop him, and pick up somebody else. Tomorrow you see the change.

Daily - Today. You're sick of a guy. You want to drop him, but you can't, because he has already played today, and you can't yoink an active guy out of your lineup. The next morning you sleep in a bit. His game starts. You still can't drop him. etc. etc.

Now. I think some interesting questions are being raised about what the best setting is if you choose to use Continuous Waivers, in which case you are never adding someone "right now" anyway. I'm pretty sure at some point when I was there I changed it so that Daily - Today leagues could submit a player to drop in a waiver claim even if he had played the current day, because he wasn't going to end up getting dropped "Today" anyway. Off the top of my head, I'd agree that a league that switches to Continuous Waivers might want to also switch to Daily - Today. But the whole issue is going to confuse people no matter what, and Daily - Tomorrow vs. Daily - Today impacts more than just waiver pickups. It also impacts trades, for example.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 23)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers