Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

WW SP add - Ventura,Pineda or Erasmo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

WW SP add - Ventura,Pineda or Erasmo?

Postby Dren_man » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:26 am

12 team,H2H,6X6 - W's, L's, IP, K's, WHIP, ERA. Do I drop any or all of these Pitchers: Kennedy, Tillman, Fister and try to p/u: Ventura, Pineda, Erasmo.....what drop and add order would you rank them? Thanks,
Dren_man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: WW SP add - Ventura,Pineda or Erasmo?

Postby rsepu002 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:33 am

G GS IP BB SO W SV HD ERA WHIP K/9

33 33 214.0 40 164 14 0 0 3.49 1.18 6.90 FISTER

33 33 201.0 65 175 11 0 0 4.16 1.32 7.84 KENNEDY

33 33 209.0 72 169 13 0 0 4.09 1.32 7.28 TILLMAN

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25 25 127.0 53 100 8 0 0 3.83 1.34 7.09 VENTURA

26 26 134.0 49 126 8 0 0 4.37 1.27 8.46 PINEDA

22 22 116.0 34 83 6 0 0 4.42 1.37 6.44 RAMIREZ

Here are the projections for 2014 for all the pitchers that you are asking about. Bottom line is that the 3 that you have are going to give you WAY more innings, strike out more people, win more games, and have a lower ERA. I don't think that you should drop any of them for the people on the waiver wire. You drafted well now stick with em!

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=468729
rsepu002
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bcdavis31 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:32 pm

Who are your other pitchers?

There is no doubt that an established producer is going to have better projections than some of the guys you're considering picking up. But you can't always make decisions based off of one website's projections. Although there is a lot that goes into making them, they are still estimations and opinions- guesses to a lesser extent.

Kennedy, Fister, and Tillman should all be solid this season, and I don't think you would be making a bad decision by keeping them. But don't think of it as a one-for-one choice. Consider the rest of your rotation. If you have a stable full of upper-mid (give or take) tier guys like these, playing it safe on this end may be the way to go. But if you've complimented these guys with a stud (say, a Kershaw, Dharvish, even a Sale or Scherzer) or two, it may not be a bad decision to shoot for upside. I think a guy like Pineda has incredible upside this year, and could be one that shoots past the posted projections. If your roster looks more like the latter mentioned here, it may be worth the gamble.

Just try to make your decisions more holistically regarding what is best for your whole team than comparing two players in a vacuum.
bcdavis31
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 70)

Postby chrisdubyuh » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:01 pm

I'd probably add Ventura (cleared to pitch 180+ innings) and Pineda (looking great) in place of Kennedy and Tillman. Fister is the only guy I really trust and he's moving to the pitcher-friendly NL.

Kennedy is questionable, Tillman not so much, but I have my reservations. I think the upside of Ventura/Pineda is too great to at least not take a flyer on them. At their worst, I think they would put up comparable numbers. However, if they pitch to their potential, both could easily be top-50 SP which is a longshot for Tillman/Kennedy in my opinion.
chrisdubyuh
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:53 pm

chrisdubyuh wrote:I'd probably add Ventura (cleared to pitch 180+ innings) and Pineda (looking great) in place of Kennedy and Tillman. Fister is the only guy I really trust and he's moving to the pitcher-friendly NL.

Kennedy is questionable, Tillman not so much, but I have my reservations. I think the upside of Ventura/Pineda is too great to at least not take a flyer on them. At their worst, I think they would put up comparable numbers. However, if they pitch to their potential, both could easily be top-50 SP which is a longshot for Tillman/Kennedy in my opinion.

;-D
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Redmond_Square » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Kennedy for Ventura for now.
Redmond_Square
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 79)

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:12 pm

It's tough, but Ventura and Pineda have a ton of upside that Kennedy and Tillman don't. Kennedy is a great guy to start at home, but overall I think I might rather have the upside of Ventura or Pineda. I might be crazy on this one but I think I might prefer both Ventura and Pineda over Tillman and Kennedy at this point.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions