Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Upton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: BJ Upton

Postby SecretAgentMan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:49 am

NikkiSixx wrote:Upton is only 29 and has only had 1 bad fantasy season... It's not hard to picture him turning it around. But it's also not hard to see a repeat of last year, hence the bench spot.



I guess that depends on how you define bad. Upton has had one season where his OPS was above 800 in his entire career (2007). He has had seasons where it was in the 600s and the 500s which is laughable. Add in that he has been around for about 10 years now so he is no kid. Has to be one of the most overrated players in the past 5 years. The fact that people are stashing him hoping the one fluke season re-emerges is a testament to that as most players with these type of garbage numbers would not even get drafted in std mixed leagues.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
Posts: 5954
(Past Year: 2707)
Joined: 26 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BJ Upton

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:03 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Upton is only 29 and has only had 1 bad fantasy season... It's not hard to picture him turning it around. But it's also not hard to see a repeat of last year, hence the bench spot.



I guess that depends on how you define bad. Upton has had one season where his OPS was above 800 in his entire career (2007). He has had seasons where it was in the 600s and the 500s which is laughable. Add in that he has been around for about 10 years now so he is no kid. Has to be one of the most overrated players in the past 5 years. The fact that people are stashing him hoping the one fluke season re-emerges is a testament to that as most players with these type of garbage numbers would not even get drafted in std mixed leagues.

One bad FANTASY season. He was useful every year except last year in standard fantasy leagues.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2567
(Past Year: 368)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Re: BJ Upton

Postby West » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:39 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Upton is only 29 and has only had 1 bad fantasy season... It's not hard to picture him turning it around. But it's also not hard to see a repeat of last year, hence the bench spot.



I guess that depends on how you define bad. Upton has had one season where his OPS was above 800 in his entire career (2007). He has had seasons where it was in the 600s and the 500s which is laughable. Add in that he has been around for about 10 years now so he is no kid. Has to be one of the most overrated players in the past 5 years. The fact that people are stashing him hoping the one fluke season re-emerges is a testament to that as most players with these type of garbage numbers would not even get drafted in std mixed leagues.


It's amazing how far downhill the commentary on this forum has gotten. I've seen some of the most inane responses yet in this thread.

Your response is laughable. I'm sorry, is OPS a category in your league? It's not in mine. R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG. If we're going to talk OPS, without the moronic hyperbole, Upton actually has a career .736 OPS and only had one SEASON (non plural) - last year - when it was below 600. It was .686 in 2009, which is not laughable when you consider he was still a $19 player that year thank to his 11HR and 42 SBs.

Yes, Upton has been around for 10 years. Is that your argument? Because last time I checked it doesn't change the fact that he is still 29 years old. If anything it's a testament to how accomplished he was at a young age.

Seriously, what planet do you live on? Are we playing real baseball or fantasy? If you want to have a conversation about RAR and VORP go to a Sabermetrics conference. Upton has been a $20+ player for 6 out of the last 7 years. Yes, he looked terrible last year and he looks terrible at the plate so far this year. Good thing he only cost me the auction equivalent of $1.

Can we limit this conversation to adults from now on?
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1519
(Past Year: 66)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BJ Upton

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:39 pm

West wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Upton is only 29 and has only had 1 bad fantasy season... It's not hard to picture him turning it around. But it's also not hard to see a repeat of last year, hence the bench spot.



I guess that depends on how you define bad. Upton has had one season where his OPS was above 800 in his entire career (2007). He has had seasons where it was in the 600s and the 500s which is laughable. Add in that he has been around for about 10 years now so he is no kid. Has to be one of the most overrated players in the past 5 years. The fact that people are stashing him hoping the one fluke season re-emerges is a testament to that as most players with these type of garbage numbers would not even get drafted in std mixed leagues.


It's amazing how far downhill the commentary on this forum has gotten. I've seen some of the most inane responses yet in this thread.

Your response is laughable. I'm sorry, is OPS a category in your league? It's not in mine. R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG. If we're going to talk OPS, without the moronic hyperbole, Upton actually has a career .736 OPS and only had one SEASON (non plural) - last year - when it was below 600. It was .686 in 2009, which is not laughable when you consider he was still a $19 player that year thank to his 11HR and 42 SBs.

Yes, Upton has been around for 10 years. Is that your argument? Because last time I checked it doesn't change the fact that he is still 29 years old. If anything it's a testament to how accomplished he was at a young age.

Seriously, what planet do you live on? Are we playing real baseball or fantasy? If you want to have a conversation about RAR and VORP go to a Sabermetrics conference. Upton has been a $20+ player for 6 out of the last 7 years. Yes, he looked terrible last year and he looks terrible at the plate so far this year. Good thing he only cost me the auction equivalent of $1.

Can we limit this conversation to adults from now on?

You have gotten really defensive over BJ Upton in this thread to the point that you insult anybody that doesn't like him. Upton was NOT a guy that struck out over 30% of the time in Tampa, it was usually mid 20's. It was 33% last year and had a similar number in spring training, and now has struck out OVER HALF of his at bats to start the season (although a very small sample size). With every game that he looks like a fool at the plate, I sour on him. There are slumps, and then there is what BJ Upton has done since he has put on a Braves uniform. He looks plain awful right now.


And if we are going to have a conversation with adults then please knock it off with the insults and belittling of others just because people are pointing out that BJ Upton might be the worst hitter in baseball right now.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2567
(Past Year: 368)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Re: BJ Upton

Postby West » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:43 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
You have gotten really defensive over BJ Upton in this thread to the point that you insult anybody that doesn't like him. Upton was NOT a guy that struck out over 30% of the time in Tampa, it was usually mid 20's. It was 33% last year and had a similar number in spring training, and now has struck out OVER HALF of his at bats to start the season (although a very small sample size). With every game that he looks like a fool at the plate, I sour on him. There are slumps, and then there is what BJ Upton has done since he has put on a Braves uniform. He looks plain awful right now.


And if we are going to have a conversation with adults then please knock it off with the insults and belittling of others just because people are pointing out that BJ Upton might be the worst hitter in baseball right now.


BJ does look terrible right now, I've watched most of his ABs. He looks completely lost at the plate and he's swinging through a lot of fastballs. I haven't seen today's lineup but he'll probably be bumped down to 7th or 8th within the next day or two if he keeps this up. I'm a complete realist on BJ. I know that he's fully capable of hitting .180.

What I can't tolerate is listening to people overreact because they got burned by him last year. If people are going to call him garbage, a fluke, and overrated, then I'm going to point out the faults in their logic. It doesn't even qualify as logic, it's just subjective, short sighted, anecdotal evidence. Just because BJ was drafted in the 4th round last year and had probably the worst return on investment of any offensive player, doesn't mean he's not a good value this year. I'll continue to hammer that point home.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1519
(Past Year: 66)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BJ Upton

Postby wrveres » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:33 am

Bj Upton is a great value this year.
but i wont touch him cus i got burned by him last year.
:-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31204
(Past Year: -313)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BJ Upton

Postby West » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:44 pm

BJ is hitting .120 with 11 K's in 25 ABs. Heyward is hitting .130 with 8 K's in 23 ABs. Tell me it's a small sample size and I'll say: exactly.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1519
(Past Year: 66)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BJ Upton

Postby NikkiSixx » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:53 pm

West wrote:BJ is hitting .120 with 11 K's in 25 ABs. Heyward is hitting .130 with 8 K's in 23 ABs. Tell me it's a small sample size and I'll say: exactly.

Not encouraging considering his decline last year. All he has to do is give some sort of sign that he is an improved player from last season... I don't see it.
Last edited by NikkiSixx on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2567
(Past Year: 368)
Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1st place!

Re: BJ Upton

Postby J35J » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Yeah, the 34% k rate last year makes me think what he's doing this year isn't a fluke...we'll see though...long ways to go.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10377
(Past Year: -42)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BJ Upton

Postby Surfs up » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 am

Exactly. At the rate he's going he could get that up to 40%.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero


Posts: 5369
(Past Year: 718)
Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron