Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Upton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: BJ Upton

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:31 pm

West wrote:
Surfs up wrote:
West wrote:
I did follow my own advice, took BJ in the 22nd round in a 12 team mixed league. I'm looking forward to the 80R / 18 HR / 35 SB season he's about to put up.

Would you like a little salt with that crow? :-D :-D :-D

Tell me how a 22nd round draft pick can do anything to hurt my team? It's a zero risk, huge reward move. BJ will sit on my bench behind Leonys Martin and whoever is hot will play.

Seriously, I'd like to see one stat line or bit of objective reasoning supporting your position. I stole a perennial 20/40 outfielder in the 22nd round who is coming off ONE down year. The only point you've proven thus far is that you got burned by him last year. I'm sorry you got caught up in the hype after the big signing, and I'm sorry you have such a short memory. The rest of us are getting in while the stock is low.

Zero risk? Your league doesn't count BA?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -416)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:54 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
West wrote:
Surfs up wrote:

Would you like a little salt with that crow? :-D :-D :-D

Tell me how a 22nd round draft pick can do anything to hurt my team? It's a zero risk, huge reward move. BJ will sit on my bench behind Leonys Martin and whoever is hot will play.

Seriously, I'd like to see one stat line or bit of objective reasoning supporting your position. I stole a perennial 20/40 outfielder in the 22nd round who is coming off ONE down year. The only point you've proven thus far is that you got burned by him last year. I'm sorry you got caught up in the hype after the big signing, and I'm sorry you have such a short memory. The rest of us are getting in while the stock is low.

Zero risk? Your league doesn't count BA?

Yes, zero risk. A 22nd round pick is essentially a FA pickup since I've already dropped my 19th and 23rd round picks. BA doesn't count when he's on my bench.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby TheTrith » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:16 am

BA doesn't count when he's on my bench.
Well using that logic, HR's and SB's dont count while hes on your bench either. :-?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby West » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:22 am

TheTrith wrote:
BA doesn't count when he's on my bench.
Well using that logic, HR's and SB's dont count while hes on your bench either. :-?

The point was that he's a zero risk investment.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Izenhart » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:28 am

This is a pointless discussion. The risk is only when he starts for your team which won't happen if he doesn't figure things out. The upside negates any minimal risk of having him suck up a bench spot for a few weeks or more.

I'd probably shy away from starting him even in daily leagues to avoid the 0-4's until things look good. So the risk is you miss a few games here or there where you could have had a more reliable guy to shuffle in the lineup. That's a fair price to pay for where he is being drafted.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby West » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:06 am

Izenhart wrote:This is a pointless discussion. The risk is only when he starts for your team which won't happen if he doesn't figure things out. The upside negates any minimal risk of having him suck up a bench spot for a few weeks or more.

I'd probably shy away from starting him even in daily leagues to avoid the 0-4's until things look good. So the risk is you miss a few games here or there where you could have had a more reliable guy to shuffle in the lineup. That's a fair price to pay for where he is being drafted.

That's what I should have said. ;-D There is a small cost, the roster spot. If he doesn't figure things out by the end of April, or before (depending on how bad he looks), he'll lose his advantageous spot in the order and he'll be off my team and on the WW.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NikkiSixx » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 am

Yeah nobody in their right mind is starting BJ Upton right now. His 20/30 potential at the end of the draft is worth the bench spot. And if it looks like a repeat of last year, cut him. Upton is only 29 and has only had 1 bad fantasy season... It's not hard to picture him turning it around. But it's also not hard to see a repeat of last year, hence the bench spot.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby TheTrith » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Not sure if others have this problem, but for me the big issue with guys like BJ/Uggla/Timmy/etc is that theyre much harder to cut loose than flyers that have never shown anything in the past. I tend to hang on to guys like him much longer than I should and miss out on other possible breakout players because I know he's "done it before"and thus tend to giv e him to much time to figure things out.
So I generally just avoid them altogether .
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby yourgodsdice » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:42 pm

The Braves pitching situation is similar to their hitting, in that a lot of money was invested, but rather than inconsistent play, injuries led to more money being spent to shore up the staff. Overall, the Braves invested large contracts on their young players, which is great, but that means they need to produce now and better than last year's numbers for the Braves to consider the postseason. I think the Uptons have to play up to their ridiculous contracts. I can understand the difficulty adjusting to a new team and playing with your brother, but this year its time to play as a team. Its amazing how injuries and inconsistent play has plagued this team, yet they made the postseason last year.
yourgodsdice
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers