Return to Baseball Leftovers

BJ Upton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BJ Upton

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:14 pm

According to his Yahoo player note, Fredi Gonzalez is leaning toward batting him in the 2 slot. Horrible move for real life, but very interesting for fantasy. The good news with Upton is that he honestly can't be any worse than he was last year. If he has a somewhat decent bounce back season and actually does bat 2nd for the Braves, then I think that puts an interesting spin on his value.

Thoughts??
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BJ Upton

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:27 pm

Pair this with the Rotoworld update today saying Chris Johnson could hit cleanup, and if both true, that would push either Heyward, Justin Upton, or Freeman to #5... which doesn't seem likely.

Heyward
J Upton
Freeman
C Johnson
... then a bunch of contact hitters like Uggla, Gattis, and BJ :-o
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -1)

Postby Izenhart » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:08 pm

I didn't realize just how bad the Braves lineup was until just now. I'm all for bounceback players and do own Uggla and BJ (for now) on a team or two, but Freddie can't knock everyone in. :-*
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:13 pm

I really like Chris Johnson as a hitter...but that's it...just as a pure hitter. I like him as a CI option in deeper leagues.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby NikkiSixx » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:45 pm

Izenhart wrote:I didn't realize just how bad the Braves lineup was until just now. I'm all for bounceback players and do own Uggla and BJ (for now) on a team or two, but Freddie can't knock everyone in. :-*

Well if Freddie bats the way he did with RISP again this year like he did last year he can have a high RBI total on any ball club... But I wouldn't count on him having a .443 average (.550 BABIP) with RISP again this season.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby rotoquest » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:48 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:According to his Yahoo player note, Fredi Gonzalez is leaning toward batting him in the 2 slot. Horrible move for real life, but very interesting for fantasy. The good news with Upton is that he honestly can't be any worse than he was last year. If he has a somewhat decent bounce back season and actually does bat 2nd for the Braves, then I think that puts an interesting spin on his value.

Thoughts??

I drafted him on 2 teams early on in hopes for a bounce back year, but I've dropped him from both teams as he still strikes out over 33% of the time. I'll let someone else worry about him.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 25)

Postby hot4tx » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:24 am

Maybe the update has the wrong Upton hitting 2nd? If BJ hits second and Johnson hits 4th, then surely they'll bat Freeman 3rd (else they'd have 3 RHB in a row at the top of their order)? That would move Justin Upton to 5th. That's not a terrible thing, but you'd have two slower guys in front of Justin and some low-contact guys like Uggla and Gattis behind him. I think that hurts his Rs and SBs quite a bit in fantasy.

I real life you're getting the high slugging % guy deeper in your order even if it means also moving the higher OBP guy deeper. I guess not the dumbest move I've ever seen.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby J35J » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:34 am

These guys will hit high in the order if they are producing and low in the order if they are not. Only the best of the best have a set spot in the order and sometimes that's not even true.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Surfs up » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:30 am

BJ Upton is just plain garbage. I hope one of my league mates takes him this weekend in my mixed draft. No way I will EVER roster this bum again. But I'm sure when he does his usual 1-2 weeks of going off there will be many on here saying grab him while he's hot. Only to end up getting burned. Won't happen to me. ;-D
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)

Postby West » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:48 am

Surfs up wrote:BJ Upton is just plain garbage. I hope one of my league mates takes him this weekend in my mixed draft. No way I will EVER roster this bum again. But I'm sure when he does his usual 1-2 weeks of going off there will be many on here saying grab him while he's hot. Only to end up getting burned. Won't happen to me. ;-D

Good luck with your poorly thought out strategy, I just want everyone else to know this is terrible advice.

If you take away 2013, Upton averaged .248/19 HR/37 SBs over a 6 year span from 2007 to 2012. He's not broken. He's 29 years old and is an excellent investment for people who know what a track record is.

By contrast, Carlos Gomez, who is only a year younger, didn't hit double digit HRs until 2012 and is a career .255 hitter. His average production from 2012-2013 was .273/22 HR/38 SB. He's going in the 2nd round and BJ is going in the 18th. You do the math.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers