Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is causing the increase in Tommy John surgeries lately

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What is causing the increase in Tommy John surgeries lat

Postby kab21 » Thu May 01, 2014 10:30 am

There can be almost no doubt that pitchers are on strength programs. It might not be ridiculous strength programs and even at the pro level a lot of these programs come at the expense of flexibility. The other issue is that the ligaments don't actually strengthen just because you strengthen the muscles around them.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silverZ » Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 pm

http://www.futurity.org/pitchers-elbow-baseball-hip/

The researchers correlated the hip range of motion to what they already knew could risk injury, and found that the less range of motion pitchers had in their hips, the higher the risk to the pitchers’ arms. Pitchers unknowingly compensate for limited range of motion in their hips, which could place more torque on their elbows.

:-?
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby jonboycubs » Fri May 02, 2014 5:06 pm

I think teams are starting to assume that every pitcher is going to need it at some point. So at the first sign of any kind of injury they are seeming to immediatley opt for the surgery to get it out of the way, get the rehab done, and get the player back to pitching. It is a combination obviously of speed and command and all that, but they are starting to treat pitchers like machines and giving them surgery when they may or may not need it. I would be willing to bet that within 10 years if not sooner, having Tommy John will be a pre-requisite for a pitcher before they can get an MLB contract. That last sentance may be a stretch but it would not surprise me.
"I was taught you never, ever disrespect your opponent or your teammates or your organization or your manager and never, ever your uniform." Ryne Sandberg
jonboycubs
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 1124)

Postby TheTrith » Mon May 12, 2014 7:47 pm

You guys didn't think Jose Fernandez would fade this thread did you?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby chargerss24 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:20 am

kab21 wrote:There can be almost no doubt that pitchers are on strength programs. It might not be ridiculous strength programs and even at the pro level a lot of these programs come at the expense of flexibility. The other issue is that the ligaments don't actually strengthen just because you strengthen the muscles around them.

Bob Feller talks about this in one of his books. And talks about what kind of conditioning they did back then.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24