Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is causing the increase in Tommy John surgeries lately

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What is causing the increase in Tommy John surgeries lat

Postby kab21 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48 pm

the ligament usually comes from the player's body. The wrist/forearm (in most people) has an extra ligament that isn't needed.

Bad mechanics are bad mechanics. If a pitcher doesn't fix his mechanics then he's going to hurt something in the future regardless of how well the surgery was done.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daweasle » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:43 pm

The ligament is taken from the players ankle or thigh or forearm.

Not sure how they make the determination which one they will use but I am also not sure if there is any correlation between if they use the foot ligament does it blow out more often than the forearm ligament??
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby daweasle » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:33 am

Oh one other thought -

often when a pitcher has tommy john he comes back pitching 2-3 mph faster than before he had the surgery

That is not because of the new tendon....it's because of the super long extensive rehab they go through they are just naturally stronger and they have coaches who ensure more consistent mechanics.
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby TheTrith » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:32 pm

aaaaaand another bites the dust.
Add Nova to the list.

Anyone wanna start a pool for who else has an exploding UCL this year?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:51 am

could it be something with the type of pitches? aren't there certain pitches that if thrown more often are harder on the arm?
I haven't really looked up the ages of who is having TJ surgery, but it seems to be the younger pitchers. maybe because they are throwing a certain pitch too often in high school/minors as they are developing? if this is the case one solution could be to hold back on this pitch (pitches) early on in high school/minors.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:48 am

I don't think pitch type makes a big difference. From what I hear, it's velocity, and max-effort pitching. So a guy significantly bumping up his velocity could be putting more strain on his arm, that it's not used to. I also think there could be some complacency about limiting injuries since people think as long as they stay under magic IP thresholds, they'll be safe. But really.... I don't think anybody knows for sure. Hell, maybe the surgeons are all colluding and diagnosing more and more UCL tears. Now that Yocum and Jobe are gone, the new guys don't have as many people to call bullsh*t on them, haha
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:49 am

There's a theory (possibly from Gray/Razzball) that pitchers that throw >20% breaking balls have a higher risk of TJ. Others dismiss curveballs but focus on pitchers that throw a lot of sliders. I followed the lists for a year or two but never checked to see if there was a correlation.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby silverZ » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:20 am

Maybe because pitchers are so much stronger today from all the power lifting that the UCL can't keep up? When you're squating/lunging/deadlifting 300-400 pounds in the offseason to get strong and you rely on a tiny ligament to stay attached in your elbow while you're putting that strength into max effort sliders you're going to have a bad time.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby wrveres » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:27 pm

im pretty sure pitchers are not dead-lifting 400 lbs regularly in the off-season. i could be wrong. Shocked, and wrong.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Postby silverZ » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:09 pm

wrveres wrote:im pretty sure pitchers are not dead-lifting 400 lbs regularly in the off-season. i could be wrong. Shocked, and wrong.

Here's a video of little ol' Tim Collins lunging 300 lbs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hijfmi2prbA

I have no idea how many pitchers are power lifting these days but it wouldn't surprise me if some guys get so strong that their UCL snaps. Just a thought.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers