Return to Baseball Leftovers

Baseball in Montreal ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball in Montreal ?

Postby Surfs up » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Warren Cromarte a former Montreal Expo is trying very hard to get baseball back in Montreal. The Blues and Mets will play a pair of games Friday 29th and Saturday 30th at the big O in Montreal. The fans didn't turn out for the Expos but does anybody think if they played in the AL east things would be different? Think about it. Boston, NY Yankees and Baltimore all within a few hundred miles of Montreal. I think things would be different playing in the AL east. Several years back when the Red Sox played a pair of games there they drew close to 30000 for each game. Most being Sox fans. The Tampa Bay Rays are having trouble with fans and its doubtful they could build a new stadium . Anybody think the Rays could be moved to Montreal in the near future ? Thoughts?
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 718)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Baseball in Montreal ?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:33 pm

It is hard to imagine baseball ever returning to Montreal. Never say never but it would be a hard sell.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Surfs up » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:54 pm

I just look at the lack of fan support at the Rays games. And think about the crowds Montreal could draw when the Yankees and Red Sox come to town. The Blue Jays . It would be a nice rivalary. Plus now that there is interleague play fand could see more stars . Those two games at the end of ST could go a long way for the future of baseball in Montreal. Jackie Robinson played there. Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron and Pete Rose . They had stars like Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson . I will say if you have never been to a game at the Big O its so big it looks empty even when 30000 people are there. And there this weird humming noise.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Element » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:44 pm

Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 28)

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:26 pm

The odds of the Rays building a new stadium are very likely.
The turnout is not great but you have to understand how terrible of a location this stadium is, it is really not close to anyone with disposable income and all the population centers have to drive over bridges to get there.

When a new stadium is finally built attendance will go up.
Also the Tampa Bay media market is huge, we have one of the largest televised viewers in the majors and that is a lot of ad revenue.

So all and all if baseball wants to return to Montreal maybe the MLB will consider expansion and add a team to North Carolina too which I think is a better fit than Montreal anyway.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -216)

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:35 pm

My google-fu indicates that Baltimore is almost 500 miles from Montreal. Plus, it's Baltimore.

(And I happen to like Baltimore...)
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 16)

Postby kab21 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:50 pm

Surfs up wrote:I just look at the lack of fan support at the Rays games. And think about the crowds Montreal could draw when the Yankees and Red Sox come to town. The Blue Jays . It would be a nice rivalary. Plus now that there is interleague play fand could see more stars . Those two games at the end of ST could go a long way for the future of baseball in Montreal. Jackie Robinson played there. Roberto Clemente, Hank Aaron and Pete Rose . They had stars like Pedro Martinez and Randy Johnson . I will say if you have never been to a game at the Big O its so big it looks empty even when 30000 people are there. And there this weird humming noise.

If the Red Sox and Yankees are such a big draw then the Rays should do fine. I don't see baseball in Montreal happening.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Surfs up » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:42 am

Update: Mets and Blue Jays played in front of 46000 plus fans Friday evening. I heard they were expecting a crowd as big for todays game.
Surfs up
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:13 pm

yawn. stupid country cant even support their national religion, hockey. its why us americans got stuck bailing em out, and ended up relegating the teams to the desert and the tropics, so as not to be embarrassed by em.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: -313)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers