Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Kershaw Effect

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Kershaw Effect

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:09 pm

FWIW, I also just drafted Kershaw in an auction, but it is a points league so the balancing concerns aren't relevant, but I have Kershaw, Price, Sale, Cingrani, Cashner as my top 5 guys, so I definitely went with the "shore him up with a couple of other aces" approach there. I just don't think that it's by any means a must.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby West » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:37 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:FWIW, I also just drafted Kershaw in an auction, but it is a points league so the balancing concerns aren't relevant, but I have Kershaw, Price, Sale, Cingrani, Cashner as my top 5 guys, so I definitely went with the "shore him up with a couple of other aces" approach there. I just don't think that it's by any means a must.

I'm not a big believer in Price but regardless that staff looks quite dominant. There are plenty of strategies that will take you to the top, even more so in points leagues.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby bouncepass » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:02 pm

12 Team league with OBP....Must start 7 pitchers and 2 closers....allowed to keep 3 players every year....This is my staff after drafting Kershaw 1st...

Kershaw- 1
Sale -18 (keeper)
Tanaka- 7
Cole- 9
Lincecum-16
Archer- 19
Nolasco- 22

C-Rosario
1B-Napoli
2B- Zobrist
SS-Castro
3B-Seager
CI- A. Ramirez
MI-Uggla/Dee Gordon
OF- Bruce, Heyward, Holliday, Puig, Gardner
UT- Willingham/ Smoak/ Arenado

I think my offense is serviceable enough with my starting pitching after drafting Kershaw...What do you guys think?
bouncepass
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:40 pm

West wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:FWIW, I also just drafted Kershaw in an auction, but it is a points league so the balancing concerns aren't relevant, but I have Kershaw, Price, Sale, Cingrani, Cashner as my top 5 guys, so I definitely went with the "shore him up with a couple of other aces" approach there. I just don't think that it's by any means a must.

I'm not a big believer in Price but regardless that staff looks quite dominant. There are plenty of strategies that will take you to the top, even more so in points leagues.

In this format, Price was an elite outlier of a pitcher in 2012 and still pretty good in 2013. I don't love him either, but he was the cheapest pitcher that had elite upside (assuming he can come close to 2012 form again).

Edit: By the way, it's also a 14 team league. Kept Sale and Cingrani.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 86)

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:20 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
BigLebowski wrote:This was an auction league so a tad different than a snake, but this is the first time I took this approach in the cafe's BRAL league. Kershaw and Darvish were my first couple of buys, and that dictated this strategy. I wasn't a big fan of it at first, but as the draft progressed, I became a fan of my team. I expect to be able to trade Pitching later in the year for more offense, but only after I've built my lead. Chapman going down as a killer for me. I was banking on the 120 k's he was going to give me. But my starters of Kershaw/Darvish/Shields/Masterson then the "rest of the guys" I like where I'm at.

Jonathan Lucroy Mil - C
Prince Fielder Tex - 1B
Kelly Johnson NYY - 2B
Kyle Seager Sea - 3B
Ian Desmond Was - SS
José Bautista Tor - OF
Chris Carter Hou - OF
Colby Rasmus Tor OF
Billy Hamilton Cin - UT
Curtis Granderson NYM - BN
Ryan Howard Phi - BN

Clayton Kershaw LAD - P
Yu Darvish Tex - P
Ernesto Frieri LAA - P
John Axford Cle - P
Justin Masterson Cle - P
James Shields KC - P
Aroldis Chapman Cin - P
Doug Fister Was - P
Jeff Samardzija ChC - P
Tim Lincecum SF - P
Tyson Ross SD - P
Ervin Santana Atl - P

How many teams? The pitching looks insane and the offense looks borderline brutal, but if you have a couple of iffy hitters pan out (breakouts from Rasmus and Hamilton?), your pitching dominance could carry you to a top finish.

12 team. I understand the offense is iffy. I'm banking on 70 SB's from Hamilton and a full year from Bautista. Rasmus is a guy I have as a sleeper. I also have Kelly Johnson going 20-10 for the Yanks. Crappy average, but he'll play and get counting stats. I'm also banking on trading a couple of pitchers during the season to improve my offense.

I've never taken this approach before, but as you can tell, I'm in the boat of backing up Kershaw with a top staff. If I can't do that, I'm not touching him early.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

Postby West » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:48 pm

I wouldn't bank on Hamilton for 70 SBs, and by that I mean I'd have a back up plan. The adjustment period could be very rough from a hitting standpoint. 40-50 seems like a good starting point. He certainly has the potential for as many as 80 SBs though. Big upside, not a lot to back it up right now.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby BigLebowski » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:01 pm

West wrote:I wouldn't bank on Hamilton for 70 SBs, and by that I mean I'd have a back up plan. The adjustment period could be very rough from a hitting standpoint. 40-50 seems like a good starting point. He certainly has the potential for as many as 80 SBs though. Big upside, not a lot to back it up right now.

When I say I'm banking on it, I mean that I hope it happens. I missed out on the all the dual HR/SB threat guys due to my roster construct. What I'm saying is that I need Hamilton to hit 70 SB's to make this roster construct work. If not that is another aspect I'll have to trade for, or chase off the waiver wire.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: -8)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:27 pm

I know this is a bit of a thread necro here but the discussion is still very valid so here's my thoughts...

I wouldn't go after another starting pitcher early unless the value was too good to pass up. I would however target a top-notch closer a bit above ADP. By taking a closer that contributes heavily to ratios as well as adding plenty of strikeouts to supplement some lesser arms on the team and giving you the saves you'd have to draft at some point anyways you've now set a wonderful floor for your ratios. You can afford to be a bit less panicked about closer runs and take advantage of value where you find it in the draft. The combination would be really effective in ensuring you're competitive in the pitching categories without having to hurry on starters or bullpen arms the rest of the draft.
Hope springs eternal
grows like ivy on the vine
then dies in the fall

--Haiku for a Cubs Fan, The Loveable Losers
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 235)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers