An Iconic Fantasy Baseball Community
RedBullVodka wrote:Let's have a go at these questions, but perhaps start by posting your roster and what you paid...
1. (1) Mike Trout (LAA - OF) $49
2. (13) Joey Votto (Cin - 1B) $35
3. (25) Adrián Béltre (Tex - 3B) $30
4. (37) Jay Bruce (Cin - OF) $25
5. (49) Koji Uehara (Bos - RP) $12
6. (61) Greg Holland (KC - RP) $17
7. (73) Jedd Gyorko (SD - 2B,3B) $9
8. (85) Alex Cobb (TB - SP) $10
9. (97) Gerrit Cole (Pit - SP) $12
10. (109) Michael Bourn (Cle - OF) $3
11. (121) Jason Castro (Hou - C) $2
12. (133) Nolan Arenado (Col - 3B) $9
13. (145) Chris Archer (TB - SP) $5
14. (157) Kole Calhoun (LAA - OF) $6
15. (169) Brad Miller (Sea - 2B,SS) $10
16. (181) Jonathan Villar (Hou - SS) $5
17. (193) Michael Brantley (Cle - OF) $3
18. (205) Avisail García (CWS - OF) $2
19. (217) Hiroki Kuroda (NYY - SP) $4
20. (229) Bartolo Colón (NYM - SP) $1
21. (241) Rick Porcello (Det - SP) $4
22. (253) Mark Melancon (Pit - RP) $1
23. (265) Ryan Howard (Phi - 1B) $2
24. (277) Javier Báez (ChC - SS) $1
25. (289) Carlos Martínez (StL - RP) $1
26. (301) Ubaldo Jiménez (Bal - SP) $1
27. (313) Michael Pineda (NYY - SP) $1
1) Did you have a strategy as you entered the draft? If so, were you able to execute it? if not, what strategy did you ultimately employ?
It all started quite quickly, so I didn't really have a fully formed strategy to begin with. I wanted to get a 1st round player, but also wanted to keep some money back for the bargains that normally start appearing mid-way through an auction. But then I got completely carried away. I was OK with Trout - after all he is the consensus number one pick. And I seem to have a love affair with Votto, but in hindsight, I think overpaid for him a little. I was happy to get Bruce, and then thought Beltre was a bargain at $29, so tried to bid him up, and ended up with him. A bit like Chris8, this then had a real impact on the rest of my draft, despite it being a solid core. At that point I started doing some calculations about how much to put in other positions, and tried to put some targets down who I thought I could get at those prices. Some I did, some I had to pay more for, some I had t give up on (Teheran / Minor).
2) Which players were you most excited to acquire?
Trout, obviously. I have had him in a keeper league that folded this year, so unless I get lucky with a number 1 pick in my two remaining drafts, this will be the only league I own him in. I'm also excited to have Gerrit Cole, Alex Cobb and Greg Holland as my pitching stars. But scared in some ways Cole and Cobb are my numbers 1 & 2 - would have really liked Teheran, or Salazar, or Minor as a third decent option.
3) What are the strengths and weaknesses of your team?
According to Razzball, I'm pretty strong in pitching, but this is more to do with quantity (I'm well over the 1350 inns limit) than overall strength. In contrast, my hitting, especially runs, HR, RBIs looks a little light again by Razzball, but again I drafted less hitters than most, so perhaps it will balance out. I'm definitely more confident in my hitting than pitching.
4) If the draft started over, what would you do differently?
Almost certainly not bid on Beltre, and maybe not be quite so aggressive on Votto early on so I could have been a bit more aggressive later on, and spent a little more on starting pitching.
Learn not to use my iPhone when I could bid on someone - got Colon because I inadvertently nominated him.
5) Did you try and bid on anyone just simply to get the price up? And did that work?
Yes, Beltre. And then on Wilson Rosario, which worked to the extent I pushed Roto up to $2 more dollars, but then I had to give up as I couldn't afford to spend $10 on a catcher. After that I really only bidded on players I wanted.
6) Who were the standout over-priced players and under-priced players in the draft?
Like others I think Jose Abreu at $21 is a bit high. Some of the unders I like are my Cobb at $10, Cole at $12 and Gyorko at $9. I think the top catchers are all bargains for what they went for too. Axford for a $1 was sneaky and nice for Shockers!
7) Who is going to be in the top 3?
Hopefully me; Razzball has me, IPAdogs and Tamworth in the top 3, but this is on whole squad strength, so when the inns limit and maximising at bats is figured in, it might be completely different. The one auction I did last year I won by 0.5 point, with the third guy just a further 0.5 point behind. I reckon this one could be equally close (well, maybe not that close, but close!)
8) Whose roster would you most like to own?
Since Trout and Votto are on my squad - mine!
9) How likely is it you will ever do another auction?
Yes, definitely. This was good fun, but frustrating in equal measure. I prefer live auctions, as you only bid on one player at a time, and I found sometimes I would let a player go I really liked (Salazar, for example) as at the time I was in position to get another similar type (Teheran, Minor), but ended up getting neither after getting outbid. In a live auction you can manage that situation a little easier.
10) Any other comments?
If we did this again, i think I would suggest we did the auction for the starting players, and then have a 6 round reserve snake draft like in the expert leagues. I would also want to start a little earlier and have less players nominated at the same time, if possible. It might take longer, but I think that would help guard against the above point. In the end we got this done in little over a week, so it is not like it took forever...
Thanks to everyone for keeping with it - and good luck for the season in all your leagues!
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests