Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Molina or Machado...WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Molina or Machado...WHIR

Postby hanny2042 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:42 pm

5x5 (standard categories), H2H, 12 team
Up to 6 keepers allowed (no restriction on how many years you can keep a player),

My 5 guys I will be keeping (unless people have very good points against this) are: Miggy, Fielder, Bruce, J Upton, Pedroia

My only real option for the 6th keeper comes down to Yadier Molina or Manny Machado.

If I were strictly basing this on long term investment, I would go Machado. But I think I have a very solid base heading into the draft with the other keepers and want to base my keeper on this season (if all things are equal between the 2, then I would look at the long term implications). I am having a tough time deciding...but sometimes when I feel like that and post on here, I get 90% leaning toward one guy. All thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance....and WHIR (just leave a link).
hanny2042
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Molina or Machado...WHIR

Postby whoson1st0 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:26 pm

Looking at this season only, you'd need to go Molina. He is a top 5 catcher and would go very well with the rest of your keepers. How many catchers are gonna get you a .300 BA? Machado is not only still recovering from his injury but he's still growing as a player (he was declining after a very strong first half, even before his injury). In addition, he's only a CI for you (for this year at least while Miggy has 3b eligibility).

I could certainly make an argument why it would make more sense in the long run to keep Machado over Molina, but that's not what you're looking for.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 52)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:57 pm

As good as your keepers are, I'd say all the more reason to keep Machado. Catcher has a high replacement value for at least this year, especially if you're playing with single-catcher lineups.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby plamb23 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:30 pm

Machado Machado Machado, no question in this format
plamb23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Brainstorm » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:37 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:As good as your keepers are, I'd say all the more reason to keep Machado. Catcher has a high replacement value for at least this year, especially if you're playing with single-catcher lineups.

He's got it right here. Your set of keepers is so solid I'd rather take the chance here with Machado panning out rather than a high-volatile position option.
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 37)

Postby MadDog36 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:21 am

Machado - if he breaks out maybe you can consider making someone break the bank for Miggy XD
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1766)

Postby jtsandwich » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:29 am

There are many players out there that are low BA guys that you can target IF you keep a .300BA C. You have very solid keepers and I believe that this year more than in other years that a couple strong C's will go a long way in allowing you to be able to have a P. Alvarez (or someone like him) on your team without taking a hit to your BA. Now you did not say if you start 2 C's and this is completely based on a 12 team 24 C's being auctioned. If you only start 1 C, then keep Manny.

I have never invested in C's and this year I am going to invest in 2 because I think I will be in position to handle 2 lower BA high HR/RBI guys that other teams will be forced to pass on unless they punt BA, thus I should be able to get these low BA guys at a great value, saving funds for other positions.

If you are in a draft and not an auction, which I believe you are, there is more reason to keep Manny for the long term value in trading him. You also may still be able to get Molina back in the draft.

GL
jtsandwich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 45)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:43 am

Machado easily
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 363)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby whoson1st0 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:10 pm

If everyone who voted Machado here saying that if the owner wasn't able to keep Molina or Machado beyond this year, they would still go Machado? I just don't see him being more valuable than Molina for THIS YEAR.

I'm all about keeping Machado, and if it was ME I'd keep Machado since it's forever, but this owner doesn't care about any year beyond 2014.
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 52)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:57 pm

whoson1st0 wrote:If everyone who voted Machado here saying that if the owner wasn't able to keep Molina or Machado beyond this year, they would still go Machado? I just don't see him being more valuable than Molina for THIS YEAR.

I'm all about keeping Machado, and if it was ME I'd keep Machado since it's forever, but this owner doesn't care about any year beyond 2014.

Molina will be more valuable based on his production close to a full slate of at-bats at C. However, in single catcher leagues, he can recover a substantial portion of that production (except BA) by drafting a Wilson Ramos, Salvador Perez, or Jason Castro later. A healthy Machado comes close to or surpasses Molina's line for this year.

Again, given his set of keepers, there's extra reason to take the upside of Machado over a player that is easier to replace in Molina.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions