Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Help me with my keepers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help me with my keepers?

Postby TheGhost » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 pm

10 teams, H2H, yahoo, 6X6, keep 6.

I've narrowed down my keepers to the final 7 but am having a hard time deciding which player to leave off the list. The number after the players name is the round in which I can keep them in. Thanks!!

Bryce Harper - 14
Matt Carpenter - 16
Kenley Jansen - 17
Billy Hamilton - 23
Yasil Puig - 23
Jose Fernandez - 23
Manny Machado - 22

I can only keep 6 of these 7 - Which player is the odd man out and why? ;-D
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help me with my keepers?

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:39 pm

I say leave out Jansen as the league is only 10 teams so there should be a decent amount of closers available.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby Brainstorm » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:40 pm

Yikes.

I think we're all agree here Harper, Puig, Fernandez, Machado are no brainers must keep. So that leaves Carpenter, Jansen, Hamilton.

To me it's between Billy Hamilton and Matt Carpenter even though most are going to say Jansen here. I would personally throw back Hamilton. 6x6 he's going to be negative for you in HR, RBI, BA, OBP, and that's the best case scenario! If he doesn't pan out like most think, he's going to hurt you in R as well.

To me he's the guy that goes even though the exposure here is minimal. I'll take the elite proven closer in Jansen, and a guy we've seen do it once in Carpenter over the glorified potential Hamilton brings. Really tough call though and there may not be a wrong answer (unless you drop one of the first 4 I listed).
Brainstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 37)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:01 pm

I'd throw back either Carpenter or Hamilton. Carpenter is more of an asset in this league, with OBP also accounted for. Hamilton gives you an advantage in competing in SB every week; he'll need to get on base more often to steal those bags and score plenty of runs.

Carpenter's run total and average should take a correction downward, but the 2B/3B eligibility. Hamilton is a steal for that round price. I'd probably give the nod to Carpenter, assuming that you can't get a top 10 2B back in the draft.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby plamb23 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:05 am

Carp without hesitation

He can be replaced easily

Help me?
viewtopic.php?t=467331
plamb23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 90)

Postby jackets55 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:18 am

[quote="plamb23"]Carp without hesitation

He can be replaced easily

Kinda cavalier for a player that had 120+ runs and a .390 OBP. Not many of those around, particularly with multi position eligibility.

I would drop Jansen, as I would assume that the other owners won't keep more than one apiece leaving 20+ closers on the board, which CAN be easily replaced.
jackets55
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:22 am

Imo, Hamilton. Unproven rookie, so why bother? Carpenter in Round 16 is very good value.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2493)

Postby TheGhost » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:57 am

SecretAgentMan wrote:Imo, Hamilton. Unproven rookie, so why bother? Carpenter in Round 16 is very good value.

The reason I'm considering Hamilton is because he made such an impression with the steals last year. Yes, I'm worried about him getting on base but if he can just be a serviceable lead off man then he would probably lead the league in steals. On a weekly basis, in a H2H league it seems like I wouldn't have to worry about that category. Thoughts?
TheGhost
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 57)

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:22 pm

TheGhost wrote:On a weekly basis, in a H2H league it seems like I wouldn't have to worry about that category.

I still say hang onto Hamilton, but there is credence to the fact that although Hamilton can win you steals, he is not the only guy who can win you steals. He's much more of a risk in other categories than many other guys who can steal 20+, so unless you are hoping for a 70-100 SB season he may be more risk than reward. Jansen is more guaranteed, but I still think you can get closers easily enough so that he's not a must keep at a higher round than Hamilton. Then again, if you want more guaranteed stats, Jansen will get them for you. I suppose I'm on the fence now and it really depends on how you like to gamble.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 6)

Postby WhoDatRebs » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:27 pm

Like others have said, I wouldn't have any problem letting Hamilton go. Hasn't really proved a whole lot and you will be tanking with him at more than half of the offensive positions (more than likely). I just haven't been very high on him going into this season. Help with mine? viewtopic.php?t=467358
WhoDatRebs
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 134)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions