Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pitchers in 2014

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitchers in 2014

Postby Saltydog » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Outside of the Top 50-60 SP?

Throw out some names of guys you are comfortable with as an SP4 or SP5 in a standard (12 team mixed) league?

What about some upside guys that are going to "make the jump"?
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitchers in 2014

Postby hot4tx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Looking through Yahoo's ADP here's some guys going outside of the top 50 off the top of my head with good "next step" or young guy with injury rebound upside: Archer, Corbin, Beachy, Kluber, Taijuan Walker, Porcello, Gausman (if he's going to open in the ML), Pineda, Holland, Straily, E Ramirez, Heaney, T Ross, and Duffy.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby TheTrith » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Guys I like a lot who are generally ranked outside the top 48, so are in SP5 territory:

Kuroda (ok more likely drafted a SP4 than SP5, but still love him)
AJ Burnett (stays in the NL, division is full of pathetic offenses, and those K's!)
Justin Masterson (I love Masterson. sneaky guy for very close to 200 Ks, has shown some near elite peripherals => http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/justin-m ... g-pitcher/
Patrick Corbin (doesnt get much crefit for wha the did last season. not sexy, but effective at the bottom of a fantasy rotation
Chris Archer (super cheap, throws gas, filthy slider. was dominant at times last year even against very good offenses. could become legit SP2 if his change develops a bit more. expect his K rate to climb)

And some true $1 fliers who have potential to return huge profit:

Tyson Ross kid pitched like an ace at the end of last year. if hes anywhere near that level over a full season, look out!
AJ Griffin not great at any 1 thing, but highly effective. home park does wonders
Corey Kluber what more needs to be said?
Gausman might not crack the rotation iniitally, but I LOVE me some Gausman. truly elite stuff, just needs to locate it consistently
Zach Wheeler last year was all the rage, and had ridiculous expectations. underwhelming MLB stint seems to have kept him completely under the radar this year
Ivan Nova somehow, he gets it done. dont ask me how, because I couldnt tell you
Last edited by TheTrith on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby West » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:28 pm

Some of the names mentioned shouldn't be ranked outside the top 50, though many "experts" have them there.

I have:
Masterson ranked at #26 SP
Corbin at #38
Archer at #43
Kuroda at #45
Griffin at #47

I'd say Taijuan Walker but I think he just lost his rotation spot. I wouldn't mind a gamble on Samardzija this year. Wily Peralta. Gausman. Erasmo Ramirez if he makes the rotation. In mid-shallow mixed leagues I usually don't draft a #5 guy and just rotate a hot hand off waivers. Deeper leagues you have to find someone like the names listed.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:49 pm

West wrote:Some of the names mentioned shouldn't be ranked outside the top 50, though many "experts" have them there.

I have:
Masterson ranked at #26 SP
Corbin at #38
Archer at #43
Kuroda at #45
Griffin at #47

I'd say Taijuan Walker but I think he just lost his rotation spot. I wouldn't mind a gamble on Samardzija this year. Wily Peralta. Gausman. Erasmo Ramirez if he makes the rotation. In mid-shallow mixed leagues I usually don't draft a #5 guy and just rotate a hot hand off waivers. Deeper leagues you have to find someone like the names listed.

Yup, I love Corbin, he's inside my top 30. Kuroda is around 40 for me. Masterson is around 45. Archer and Griffin are outside my top 60.

I don't want anything to do with Walker this year as he's already battling shoulder issues.

I seem to like Lance Lynn more than most this year and Samardzija a little behind him. Chris Tillman and Ian Kennedy can be had late and I like them this year.

Drew Smyly and Alex Wood are good picks late...they won't throw a ton of innings but the innings they do throw should be solid.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby rjforlife » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:51 pm

Since you may not need a list of 20, I'm going to firmly support just one, Tyson Ross. This guy has a lot of factors in his favor and the 2nd half results to support it. I think if you want to specifically target just one guy, he's the one.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby TheTrith » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:11 am

West wrote:Some of the names mentioned shouldn't be ranked outside the top 50, though many "experts" have them there.

Agreed. But I though that was the point of this thread?
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby BChinly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:09 am

I'm a big fan of Alex Wood, high K potential as a lefty. Sure his elbow will blow out eventually, but until then, he'll be great
Bringing back Activeness with Boredom.
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 37)

Postby Fade2White12 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:36 am

I like Ian Kennedy.

He has the track record being only a few years removed from a 21-4 record, plus his new digs in San Diego won't hurt considering his FB tendencies. If he can drop that BB% back to pre-2013 levels, I think he's a decently high upside pick, although not a spectacular one.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby West » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:54 pm

TheTrith wrote:

Agreed. But I though that was the point of this thread?

Read the post. The whole point, according to the OP is we are only talking about pitchers outside the top 50.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 66)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers