Return to Baseball Leftovers

A strategy I have never employed, but think will work....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: A strategy I have never employed, but think will work...

Postby hot4tx » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:53 pm

One of the differences I've found between auction and draft is that in a draft (redraft) if you go in with a strategy it's so hard to execute because it just takes a couple owners selecting your guy(s) and you miss. In an auction it seems as if you go in with a plans A, B, and C that not only is it easier to execute than in a draft but it seems more successful than just trying to get guys at good value. Every time I've gone into an auction without a plan I end up either having too much unspent cash near the end of the draft or spending money too fast. Having a couple plans where you go through a "reasonable" budget allows you to review and tweak your spending plan prior to the actual auction.

I'm also normally the $1 catcher guy, but this year I do really think spending the extra $2-$5 on Perez or Lucroy may be worth it. I'm planning on tossing one or both of those guys, along with mid-tier closers, out as my 4th-7th nomination in hopes of getting value after the elites are gone but before people start thinking of them as their last chance at decent players in those positions. I like Molina and Mauer too, but I expect they'll cost more than I'll be willing to spend.

Similarly I'm probably targeting a low-average HR hitter as my Util/backup OF/ backup 1B. I just see several of those guys being undervalued so I can spend some money elsewhere and hope that I can get at least one of them later. I may even get a couple lefties with big splits like Moss, Howard, or Dunn that I could platoon to avoid vs LHPs. We've got enough roster space that if I end up with three high-split lefties for 2 starting spots the cheap stats might be worth the burned roster spot.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A strategy I have never employed, but think will work...

Postby kidsilk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:28 pm

I think your strategy has merit as catchers are definitely the most undervalued positional players in any draft. The usual thought is if you don't get Posey or Mauer or Rosario then settle for a bargain guy at a buck. I kind of like your strategy. I agree with some of the other posters that you have to have some sort of a strategy going into an auction so you don't under or over spend but always looking for a bargain. I think if you could get something like Yadi and a low avg positional player with power for cheap it would be a good plan. I don't have enough balls to do it but if you want to try it go for it!

Please help this post

viewtopic.php?t=466993
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2114)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers