Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which player are you targeting hardest

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which player are you targeting hardest

Postby JohnYoungerman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:39 pm

Eric Hosmer
Matt Carpenter
Alex Cobb
EDIT: had to add Anthony Rizzo, hopefully he can breakout :)

BTW for the fantasy baseball promo to save on commissioner costs http://www.cbsfantasybaseballpromocodes.com/
Last edited by JohnYoungerman on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnYoungerman
T-Ball Trainer

(Past Year: -1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:46 am

In most of my leagues I can't target anyone because there are no sleepers. Sleepers just translates into overvalued. Especially in the masters draft there are no sleepers, only value picks. For pitchers I seem to rate Verlander, Burnett and Jim Henderson higher than others do and have been getting them. For hitters Sandoval and Kendrys. I would like to get Lawrie, cole, Cobb and Alex Gordon but have not yet as these seem to be on everyone's lists and are overvalued.

Btw - there is tons of value on the corners. You can go 15 or 17 deep and still get a Sandoval, belt or Moss. There is no reason to be targeting a CI. Leave those guys to the end and use your earlier picks on pitching and OF.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -414)

Postby rjforlife » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:01 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
Btw - there is tons of value on the corners. You can go 15 or 17 deep and still get a Sandoval, belt or Moss. There is no reason to be targeting a CI. Leave those guys to the end and use your earlier picks on pitching and OF.

More than any past year in recollection, this is good advice. The position player pools all have plenty of depth, and while OF and SP are also "deep", there are simply better players at these position that can make a big difference. In Masters, I took either OF or SP in seven of my first eight picks and I like the way it has turned out, although that is a bigger league so the talent does dry up a bit at the end.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:32 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Btw - there is tons of value on the corners. You can go 15 or 17 deep and still get a Sandoval, belt or Moss. There is no reason to be targeting a CI. Leave those guys to the end and use your earlier picks on pitching and OF.

I agree with this and will throw 2B as being deep too. Lots of decent guys to pick from I wouldn't reach.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby Izenhart » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:04 pm

Also backing up what Mookie said. This is the year to go OF/pitching until it hurts. In the Pond Scum league my first 12 rounds all went to pitching, OF or 1B. And only because I agree with those preaching Abreu as an undervalued bat.
Last edited by Izenhart on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:14 pm

I can't say I target specific players. I probably spend more time thinking of how to draft my team and rank my player list based on who would ideally fit.

For this year and last, I make it a point to draft 2 elite SP in the first 4 rounds. Then, by the 7th-8th round, draft a fringe #1/2 SP. You set yourself up to dominate ERA and WHIP from the outset and then you can fill out your rotation with a couple of sleeper/breakout candidates. Pitching is very deep, but given the volatility with quality hitting the last two seasons, I'd rather invest in elite pitching, which feels relatively safer.

I'm also of the opinion that quality OF is difficult to come by. It's best to snag one or two good ones early, especially in 5 OF leagues.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby kab21 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:26 pm

I like Trumbo for 35-40 HR's at Chase. There's nothing wrong with Chris Davis in the 1st rd but I wouldn't be surprised if these see their HR and avg numbers meet closer to the middle of last season's numbers.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby NikkiSixx » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Players that I am ending up with in multiple leagues so far have been: Joe Mauer, Brett Gardner, Gerrit Cole, Glen Perkins, Scott Kazmir, Jose Fernandez, Chris Carter, and a late round flyer on Melky Cabrera. I guess if I keep getting them then they have to be targets of mine. Not necessarily guys that I have to get, but guys that I like a lot given their price tags. I WANT Joey Votto really badly this year but I can never get him at the right price. I think Joey Votto is a clear first round producer with a 2nd round price tag... can't complain too much about that!
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 pm

Ripped 21 year olds.

RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 76)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Quackman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 am

Segura if im picking one. Hoping to get him on most my teams.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers