Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which player are you targeting hardest

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which player are you targeting hardest

Postby Izenhart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Usually I find myself targeting one or two players for every one of my teams, this year is no different. I primarily play 5x5 roto or H2H roto. In points I wouldn't be as interested in a guy like Billy Hamilton for example. This year my main target is Tony Cingrani. I have him as a top 15-20 SP depending on how many innings he gets (170 seems to be the guesstimate) . At 24 years young (1 year younger than Kershaw) I don't see why they need to hold him back too much more. The main knock on him is the number of tricks in his bag, but both of his pitches are A quality. His fastball is deceptive and has movement. When I watch him he reminds me of a left handed Mariano Rivera. I think he has the talent to be a CY candidate right now. I'm not going to wait for him to prove he can do it before rating him up with the elite, I just look at his numbers and think if he still has room to improve, how can he not be on everyone's immediate radar.

in 109 MLB innings he's got 2.87/1.10 with 120 K. His K/BF ratio is .291 (For comparison Scherzer is .287)
in 228 MiLB innings he's got 1.65/0.95 with 301 K.

Even if he's held to 170 innings they should be of high quality and he could still push 200k and I'll get a replacement for him if he's shut down. Picking him up in round 9 @133 OA in the current cafe draft, I think it's going to be hard to top the return value he should provide for where he was picked.

So which player are YOU targeting the hardest?
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which player are you targeting hardest

Postby hot4tx » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:35 pm

As far as hitters go, it looks like I'll probably own Jayson Werth in most leagues. He's had injury issues the last two seasons, but had over 550 at bats in each of the three years prior to that. Can't say he's a beacon of health, but he isn't Carl Crawford either. When he's played he's been a very solid 5 category producer and now that Washington has a good lineup around him like he had his last couple years in Philly I think it's reasonable for him to have 170+ R+RBI. I don't expect him to be a top-10 OF or anything, but he's being drafted around OF#30 in Yahoo leagues. That makes him a pretty big target for me.

As far as pitchers go a big target for me will be Doug Fister (in HTH-5x5 leagues). Even if his k% doesn't increase from last season with the move to the NL, he should be a good source of ratio-stability and Ws and still give you 155 K (so we aren't talking about Tim Hudson here). He's worth less in roto leagues or leagues with harsh innings caps, so that holds down his average value and draft ranking (SP#34 in Yahoo! average) well below where I think it should be (just outside the top-25 SP). If he does get the 0.53 k/9 addition his values bumps up to just outside the top-20 SPs. He is definitely someone I am targeting.

Another SP I like with a lot of upside is Danny Salazar. Everyone's got their opinions on which young SPs will make it and why, but I put Salazar in the group with Corbin, Cole, and Cobb as far as expectations for this year. He threw 145 innings last year (MLB+minors) so while he'll be innings limited I still see him getting 160-165 this year. Plus his k/9 might be high enough to make up the difference in those 20-35 less innings he'll throw than those other guys. They have lower floors, but with Salazar going around SP#40 in Yahoo he's the one I'm targeting more.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby J35J » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:05 pm

I don't really target anyone but there are some that I like more than others which means they usually end up on my teams.

I do seem to get Danny Salazar on my teams/mocks often...he's probably the only one I will reach on....everyone else on this list just usually falls to me.

I like Patrick Corbin more than most it seems. He always goes at the end of the "young SP" run and seems to be forgotten when in reality he's right in the mix with a lot of those guys. 24yrs old, solid stuff from the left side, pitches in the NL and has "done it" now. He was top 30 in a lot of things last year...SIERA, xFIP, K/BB, WHIP among others. I do think his ceiling is little lower than some of the other younger guys due to him probably not being a K per inning type of a guy but I do think his floor is much nicer than a lot of those other guys due to his very good command and the fact he has "done it".

I end up with Homer Bailey a lot.

I end up with Kendrys Morales a lot.

N. Aoki is solid. Should hit #1 for KC pretty much all year, that's what he is there for. This means 100runs should be in the bag if he stays healthy. Add in a .285+avg and 20+sb...KC really wants to run so 30+sb again wouldn't surprise me at all.

Again, the only guy that I really "target" on this list is probably Salazar as I do tend to reach for him while the other guys I don't look for but when it comes time in the draft they look like good values for me so they'll end up on my teams more often than not.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:47 am

Danny Salazar is one
Alex Cobb
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 495)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby rjforlife » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:43 am

HOOTIE wrote:Danny Salazar is one
Alex Cobb

Salazar/Cobb I like both of these guys as well.

I love Trumbo.

Rasmus.

Aaron Hill.

Desmond Jennings.

And I actually also have Aoki much higher than most lists.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby TheTrith » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:05 am

Im getting Abreu everywhere. So far in the 2 redrafts Ive finished I nabbed him in the 10th round at #120, and in the 9 round at #98. I expect that Ill have to aim more towards the ~8th round in upcoming drafts and am fully onboard with the idea. I see a guy who will hit .270 and go 25/85 with upside for a lot more.
This isnt some underdeveloped prospect coming up were talking about - this guy is a grown man who is smack in the middle of his prime, and who completely annihilated the numbers that Cespedes and Puig put up in the same league.

Im also going to have Bailey and Gray on lots of my teams since they seem to be pretty undervalued this year, even with all the hype that Gray gets on the message boards.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby paisano1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:59 pm

I'm on board with Abreu, you just don't be that good in any league and not have a serious skill set. He was also better #s wise than cespedes and puig in Cuba. He also has a tremendous work ethic and I just feel great about this guy. More can be backed up by what I said from the geniuses over at fangraphs.

I'm targeting him for the 7th rd
paisano1
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: -1)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:13 am

JJ Hardy.
probably not someone expecting to be mentioned.
mid 20's in HR, in a good lineup for RBI. let all the higher SS go where I take better players in those spots.

along with Hardy, another SS option is Jimmy Rollins.

another Phillies player, Ryan Howard. if healthy can have monster numbers, and picked a lot later than the upper tier 1B are going.

I also like a couple of lesser quality OF.. Coco Crips, and Peter Bourjos.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 39)

Postby TheTrith » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:07 am

I like that one. Coco Crisp is really undervalued and is a nice target late in drafts.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby MMoNeY24 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:34 pm

Wow, first post in like 8 years, feeling really old now. I can't necessarily target all these since some are top players, but ...some hitters I like in particular this year for both value and in general:

Braun - has the highest HR potential out of the power/speed guys
J. Upton - see him settling in nicely this yr
C. Santana - love that he'll have C/3B eligibility
Heyward - started crushing the ball end of last season before he got hit in the face
Jayson Werth
Everth Cabrera - Like his BB ability for a speed guy, plus SS
Aaron Hill - some injuries, but just a yr removed from big season
Matt Adams
Seager
Lucroy - good pop for a late C grab
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -73)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers