Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punting AVG a bad idea?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Punting AVG a bad idea?

Postby KevPen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:30 pm

I've done points leagues for 25 years. Going to try a 5x5 auction draft this year. Is it a bad idea to punt AVG, or any other category for that matter?
KevPen
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Punting AVG a bad idea?

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:43 pm

I wouldn't try it in roto. In H2H I think it is a little easier but still not a great idea.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby NikkiSixx » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:56 pm

I wouldn't consider punting anything before a season started except saves.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby converge241 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:55 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:I wouldn't consider punting anything before a season started except saves.

Agree. to me that's the only thing you can walk in and punt generally speaking of the standard categories.

AND if you're going to do it you have to be sure others in your league aren't as well because then its skewed and you need to go the other way even a little.

Some people preach punting SB but the problem is though a SB doesn't equal a R you will have a crossover and R is something people dont always look at enough while chasing HR or SB

Walking in and saying NO AVG Just may make too much risk in other hitting stats unless you are taking some guys who have a massive swing to a good OBP but bad Avg.

I could see either
a) not "worrying" too much about it during the draft aka not going over the top protecting it if all other things are equal
b) If your average is in the tank at point X just forget about fixing it. AVG ERA WHIP can be protected but are hard to fix as more time elapses

Im walking through this with a roto mindset.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:37 pm

converge241 wrote:Walking in and saying NO AVG Just may make too much risk in other hitting stats unless you are taking some guys who have a massive swing to a good OBP but bad Avg.

Agreed. I don't necessarily target average like I do the counting stats, but I tend to consider the guys with higher k% or extreme FB or IFFB rates (some of the main causes of lower average amoung higher $ fantasy players) as less consistent hitters. It's fine to have a couple of these guys but too many on one team can not only hurt your team average but also adds too much risk IMO.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Postby jeffmerk » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:26 pm

KevPen wrote:I've done points leagues for 25 years. Going to try a 5x5 auction draft this year. Is it a bad idea to punt AVG, or any other category for that matter?

It depends how the auction is going. If the players who depend the most on average for their value are going for too much, then load up on the other offensive categories.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)

Postby rjforlife » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:26 am

jeffmerk wrote:
KevPen wrote:I've done points leagues for 25 years. Going to try a 5x5 auction draft this year. Is it a bad idea to punt AVG, or any other category for that matter?

It depends how the auction is going. If the players who depend the most on average for their value are going for too much, then load up on the other offensive categories.

+1.

If you've gotten about half your team, look at your squad and say, oh boy, my average sucks, then it's probably too late. Don't start overspending on high AVG guys to correct the problem, just keep buying the players you want at the best values, and the overall stats should take care of themselves. A balance is good, but it is sometimes far easier to balance out the 4 counting stats and let average play out than trying to monitor all five closely while still getting good value for everyone.

Basically, be conscious of average as a category, but don't fret over it.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Return to Baseball Leftovers