Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where would you pick in this non-standard serpentine draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where would you pick in this non-standard serpentine draft?

Postby whoson1st0 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:30 am

One of my leagues is a shallow 10 team points/H2H league (we have a H2H winner + an overall points winner). Redraft/no keepers.

C,1B,2B,3B,SS,3OF,Util,4SP,2RP

The draft order is a little different from normal. Basically the 3rd round starts over at 10-1. At that point the serpentine draft continues as normal:

1-10, 10-1, 10-1, 1-10, 10-1, 1-10...

We are able to choose our top 3 draft positions, which we may or may not get depending on if anyone else wants those same position. I won't get into too much detail (unless requested) but basically I'm looking for some advice as to what position I should draft in. What would you top 3 choices be this year?

My thoughts are either 1st to get Miggy or Trout (picks 1/20/30/31), or 10th (picks 10/11/21).

Thanks for your advice!
whoson1st0
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 52)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where would you pick in this non-standard serpentine dra

Postby Izenhart » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:16 pm

I have never participated in a league that goes 1-10 10-1 10-1, but I like the idea, although I think it favors lower picks more. I think for this season I'd rather have the 10 pick but I wouldn't complain unless I got stuck with #5.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby iAtoria » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:21 am

10th Pick gets you 5 in the top 41
1st Pick gets you 6 in the top 51

Make your list and see where your cutoff is. In my league I have 51 players rated to be 400+ point scorers and are considered "top tier" in my book. That being said I would take 1st pick as that would guarantee me 6 players from my list. Whereas pick 10 would only guarantee me 5 players. You are also guaranteed to get Trout/Cabrera.
iAtoria
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby converge241 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:00 pm

3RR is great balances out things a little more if folks are concerned about that

In the end on these things id still like to be in the middle with preference (have to assume so many will put in 1/2) because eventually the draft normalizes and being in the middle helps avoid massive runs on things which ill admit isnt THAT big of a deal in 10 teamer

Id probably go for 2 (since you'd get one of those guys dont need to tiebreak with everyone), 8 or 9, then 10

The guy @ 3 wont make up the burn for waiting in the reversal, miggy and trout would

so if you cant get 1 or 2 id rather be towards the end and slightly avoid some runs because there isnt a world of difference between the guy at 3 and the guy at 10 this year IMHO
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Return to Baseball Leftovers