Ian Desmond
9%
Albert Pujols
27%

Total votes : 33

Re: Cafe Consensus Rankings: 29th Pick

Postby NikkiSixx » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:48 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
Izenhart wrote:Pujols couldn't move last year. I'd be leary of picking him until I see sustained health this ST. Worth a shot at this point if he is healthy but I'd rather go for the sure-er thing in Rios who has power and speed and is hitting in the middle of a stacked lineup in a hitters ballpark. When I see Pujols actually running on both legs in spring training I'll move him up.

"I feel awesome," said Pujols, who had right-knee surgery after 2012 and suffered a partial tear of the plantar fascia in his left foot last July. "To be able to do things with no pain or discomfort, to have my legs underneath me, to move around and have the load I want in my swing … that's the biggest difference."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ang ... z2uHtFcr3f

Obviously we can't know for sure until he's playing in games, but it seems like good news to me.

Health is always good news. I'm not nearly as worried about his health as I am his BB/K ratio being almost a third of what it used to be over the last few seasons. With a K% that is constantly increasing and a BABIP that hasn't been above .300 since 2008, I really think anybody would be lucky to get .280 and 30 HR (25 is probably more realistic, his HR/FB rate in the AL is way below his rate when he played for the cardinals). He just turned 34 last month and age has not been kind to him.

My projections say .271 and 24 HR, but should have around 80 runs and 90 RBI if he can stay healthy. I can't say his ceiling is any higher than his 2012 season with the Angels, and while that's a fine season, it's not the best ceiling for a 3rd round pick. He is not even close to what he used to be, and shouldn't be expected to be at this point.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cafe Consensus Rankings: 29th Pick

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:21 pm

He did start off that 2012 season abysmally bad though. The rest of the season was actually quite good. I think a healthy pujols could still hit .290 with 30 HRs, 100 RBI, 90 runs and a handful of SB.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers