19%
Giancarlo Stanton
26%
Albert Pujols
10%

Total votes : 31

Cafe Consensus Rankings: 26th Pick

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Dustin Pedroia goes next. I prefer him over Kipnis as I think he's a safer more well-rounded pick. Definitely think it's close and wouldn't fault someone for going either way.

Taken so far:
1. Mike Trout, OF
2. Miguel Cabrera, 3B
3. Paul Goldschmidt, 1B
4. Andrew McCutchen, OF
5. Carlos Gonzalez, OF
6. Ryan Braun, OF
7. Robinson Cano, 2B
8. Adam Jones, OF
9. Chris Davis, 1B
10. Clayton Kershaw, SP
11. Hanley Ramirez, SS
12. Edwin Encarnacion, 1B/3B
13. Prince Fielder, 1B
14. Joey Votto, 1B
15. Bryce Harper, OF
16. Troy Tulowitzki, SS
17. Adrian Beltre, 3B
18. Jacoby Ellsbury, OF
19. Evan Longoria, 3B
20. David Wright, 3B
21. Yasiel Puig, OF
22. Carlos Gomez, OF
23. Yu Darvish, SP
24. Jason Kipnis, 2B
25. Dustin Pedroia, 2B
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cafe Consensus Rankings: 26th Pick

Postby rjforlife » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:11 am

I'm sorry, I didn't realize 40+ HR was out of style. I guess my Stanton votes are falling on deaf ears. I can only pray people in leagues I care about keep taking soft POS players over the superpower of GIANCARLO. Long live the namechangers!
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:05 am

Stanton was absolutely torture to own last year if you drafted him in the late first/early second last year. Plus he's never hit 40 HRs, never mind 40+. Granted he's young, but he plays in a crappy park for hitters, his surrounding lineup stinks, and he's only going to get you 65 runs, 85 RBIs, and a .265 average even if he does hit 40. Not worth an early third round pick to me. Now if he gets traded to a better team with a better lineup and park, that's a different story.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:16 am

Bloody Sox wrote:Stanton was absolutely torture to own last year if you drafted him in the late first/early second last year. Plus he's never hit 40 HRs, never mind 40+. Granted he's young, but he plays in a crappy park for hitters, his surrounding lineup stinks, and he's only going to get you 65 runs, 85 RBIs, and a .265 average even if he does hit 40. Not worth an early third round pick to me. Now if he gets traded to a better team with a better lineup and park, that's a different story.

I think it's almost mathematically impossible to score 65 runs if you hit 40 HR's and get BB'd as much as Stanton will. The reasons against Stanton are that his counting stats won't be great but the even bigger one is that he has been injured. Still I voted for him. He's a legit 40 HR guy if he plays 150 games. Will he play 150 games? I dunno...
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:31 am

kab21 wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:Stanton was absolutely torture to own last year if you drafted him in the late first/early second last year. Plus he's never hit 40 HRs, never mind 40+. Granted he's young, but he plays in a crappy park for hitters, his surrounding lineup stinks, and he's only going to get you 65 runs, 85 RBIs, and a .265 average even if he does hit 40. Not worth an early third round pick to me. Now if he gets traded to a better team with a better lineup and park, that's a different story.

I think it's almost mathematically impossible to score 65 runs if you hit 40 HR's and get BB'd as much as Stanton will. The reasons against Stanton are that his counting stats won't be great but the even bigger one is that he has been injured. Still I voted for him. He's a legit 40 HR guy if he plays 150 games. Will he play 150 games? I dunno...

Yeah, I didn't word that well... I only project him for 25-30 HRs to go along with those 65 runs, 80 RBIs, and .265 average - and yeah, I didn't even mention injury risk. I'll pass and go with a similarly young Freeman who can get those same 25-30 HRs with better stats everywhere else.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:39 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
kab21 wrote:

Yeah, I didn't word that well... I only project him for 25-30 HRs to go along with those 65 runs, 80 RBIs, and .265 average - and yeah, I didn't even mention injury risk. I'll pass and go with a similarly young Freeman who can get those same 25-30 HRs with better stats everywhere else.

I'm not convinced Freddie Freeman has taken the step the next level. The only thing that really changed from his 2012 to his 2013 was his BABIP. His K% didn't change much, his BB% didn't change much, he played the same amount of games, he hit the same amount of home runs, he hit the same amount of triples, he actually hit less doubles, his ISO was actually 15 points lower... But his BABIP in 2012 was .295, and his BABIP in 2013 was .371. The .295 was definitely low, especially for a guy that hits as many line drive as freeman does (25.1% career), so I think the BABIP will be north of the league average. When the only thing that changes is your BABIP though is that really considered a breakout year? I know it sure looks that way. I also know that I wouldn't touch Freddie Freeman in the 2nd round, and that's not me saying that Freeman wont be productive, but with my 2nd round (and 3rd round pick for that matter), I like to take guys with first round value upside, and that isn't Freeman in my opinion.

But Stanton on the other hand DOES have first round potential. The power will always be there, I just hope the injuries go away. I want him to play a full season so badly. I voted Stanton for this.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:43 pm

rjforlife wrote:I'm sorry, I didn't realize 40+ HR was out of style. I guess my Stanton votes are falling on deaf ears. I can only pray people in leagues I care about keep taking soft POS players over the superpower of GIANCARLO. Long live the namechangers!

He was drafted too early last year and it looks like he'll be drafted too early again this year. Even if he stays healthy and hits close to 40, I'm not sure he'll be worth a pick this early.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby OBPlover » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:08 pm

The Marlins in 2013, 1st and 2nd in the batting order:

BA OBP SLG
.229 .282 .311
.246 .304 .313

Now I'm not saying there the 27 Yankees or anything, but this year it will probably be Christian Yelich leading off or hitting 2nd and Furcal, at least until he gets injured again. Between those 2 there should be a massive improvement in OBP. Even with that horrific 1st/2nd stat, Stanton still amounted to 65 RBI's in roughly 3/4 of a full a season. He was still on pace for about 30Hr's 80 RBIs 80 Runs despite his own injuries and his inept team around him.

Got to gamble and go with Stanton at this spot. The upside is too high.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 95)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:14 pm

OBPlover wrote:The Marlins in 2013, 1st and 2nd in the batting order:

BA OBP SLG
.229 .282 .311
.246 .304 .313

Now I'm not saying there the 27 Yankees or anything, but this year it will probably be Christian Yelich leading off or hitting 2nd and Furcal, at least until he gets injured again. Between those 2 there should be a massive improvement in OBP. Even with that horrific 1st/2nd stat, Stanton still amounted to 65 RBI's in roughly 3/4 of a full a season. He was still on pace for about 30Hr's 80 RBIs 80 Runs despite his own injuries and his inept team around him.

Got to gamble and go with Stanton at this spot. The upside is too high.

Furcal? lol.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Return to Baseball Leftovers