Return to Baseball Leftovers

Billy Hamilton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Billy Hamilton

Postby jfg » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:41 am

Are you targeting him, or ignoring?

To me, I think a lot of people are getting caught up with the Dee Gordon comparison and I don't think he's going to go down that path. His plus D should keep him in lineup I think unless he just completely bombs which is possible, but I think it's less of a possibility than Gordon last year which is obvious considering his draft position. I think in leagues where you start less players, Hamilton is worth where he's going since you can probably only afford one player to give you empty categories for an elite one , but in leagues where you have a lot of roster to work with and more teams you can find those steals elsewhere.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: -127)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Billy Hamilton

Postby ayebatter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:48 am

Doesn't look like I'll see him on any of my rosters he's just going too early for me.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 763)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:30 am

if he gets 500ABs and I think he should, he's a safe bet for 80 steals. Even on days he doesn't start he could swipe a bag or two. Round 5-6 or around 65-75 OA is where I like him. Looking at our draft I took Scherzer in R4 and Hamilton was gone before my rd5 pick. So even if you plan to reach for him like I did there's no guarantee you get him. In a lot of experts drafts he goes in this range, I think because they know a round 5 bust won't break your season, and steals are one of the easier categories to make up.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby rotoquest » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:21 am

ayebatter wrote:Doesn't look like I'll see him on any of my rosters he's just going too early for me.

+1 ;-D

Hamilton weighs about 150 lbs, and I can just envision mlb pitchers pounding the plate inside, and he won't be able to muscle the ball for a hit. How many times can you bunt for a hit? In a 5x5, he'll help you in 2 categories and hurt you in 3. Can't pay that price for where he is being drafted.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 25)

Postby J35J » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:48 am

I'm not really interested. Can't wait to watch him play and see what he can do but not on my team.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -42)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:13 am

I'm definitely not ignoring but I'm avoiding at his current ADP. No guarantee he will hit or stay in majors. The most reassuring thing about him is that Skip Schumaker is the backup so it isn't like the Reds have a great plan B.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -946)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:15 am

J35J wrote:I'm not really interested. Can't wait to watch him play and see what he can do but not on my team.

Could be exciting.....I hope he steals 120.... just won't be for me ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby apz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:29 am

I just took him in the 8th round in the cafe Noobs league; 103rd pick overall. Figured he's worth a shot there. I like having a few young guys with potential to keep things interesting. :-)
apz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: -1)

Postby kab21 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:42 am

I have zero interest in Billy Hamilton. It will be interesting to watch him but aside from the SB's I expect his season to be a trainwreck. If he does somehow hit .260+ (.300+ OBP) then things could get interesting since he could almost singlehandedly win SB's.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:51 am

apz wrote:I just took him in the 8th round in the cafe Noobs league; 103rd pick overall. Figured he's worth a shot there. I like having a few young guys with potential to keep things interesting. :-)

I would have had to make that pick too, just glad the opportunity didn't present itself.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers