Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB compensation question (semi-fantasy related)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB compensation question (semi-fantasy related)

Postby hot4tx » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:02 am

The Texas Rangers signed Choo this off-season so (correct me if I'm wrong) they will lose their first-round pick. However, assuming Daniels is being upfront and they won't re-sign Cruz, they will get a sandwich pick as compensation when Cruz signs elsewhere.

So my question is if they signed Kendrys Morales would they lose their second round pick (since they've already lost their first rounder) or would they lose their compensation pick from Cruz re-signing? Or does it depend on which happens first?

I've tried looking this up on the interwebs and I'm not sure I'm getting the full answer to this one.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MLB compensation question (semi-fantasy related)

Postby Tavish » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 pm

If a team has to forfeit a pick it is always the highest pick they have. Only top 10 picks and picks that teams get for failing to sign a previous year draftee are immune. So for example the Yankees this season have only really lost their first round pick for signing Ellsbury, Beltran, and McCann and losing Cano and Granderson. Their first pick in the draft currently would be their original 2nd round pick.
Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: -510)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers