Return to Baseball Leftovers

breakout players for 2014?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

breakout players for 2014?

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:15 pm

who do you think is going to break out in 2014? (pitchers or hitters)
if possible, explain why.
that's it.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: breakout players for 2014?

Postby k.k. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:23 pm

The Blue Jays coaching staff are raving about Kyle Drabek of late. Perhaps it's more wishful thinking on my part (being a big Jays fan) that Drabek breaks out. Tommy John surgery not too long ago kind of puts considerable doubt into the picture. But nevertheless I'll have Drabek on a watch list early in the season if he cracks the rotation.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby skjelstrom » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:40 am

It's hard to like a pitcher that has had above a 5 ERA and is now pitching in the AL East, but I really like Ubaldo Jimenez to provide solid value. He attributes his bad pitching to an ankle injury that altered his mechanics and frankly I believe it. He looked like a different beast than his 2010 year and you could see a change in mechanics. His second half from last season also looks fairly repeatable with an obviously higher ERA. Where you can get him in drafts now, I think he breaks out and gives HUGE value.
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 38)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:10 am

skjelstrom wrote:It's hard to like a pitcher that has had above a 5 ERA and is now pitching in the AL East, but I really like Ubaldo Jimenez to provide solid value. He attributes his bad pitching to an ankle injury that altered his mechanics and frankly I believe it. He looked like a different beast than his 2010 year and you could see a change in mechanics. His second half from last season also looks fairly repeatable with an obviously higher ERA. Where you can get him in drafts now, I think he breaks out and gives HUGE value.

Maybe but I am not buying it. He has had way too many crummy years to go in between his one good season (2010) and part of last season.
SecretAgentMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2707)

Postby Dugout Diamonds » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:42 am

Drabek will probably be limited in his innings, coming back from Tommy John, so that is something to consider. As for as Jimenez, he won't be great, but should give you about a strikeout an inning.
Dugout Diamonds
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:42 am

Colby Rasmus- Go watch some videos of him crushing the ball, he has great power and just enough speed. His BA will likely drop a bit, but if he can have a full healthy season he could hit 30 HR with 80 runs/RBI, a .265 avg and chip in 5 steals. He's not going to win you a league, but when everyone else is gambling on the hot new prospects, take the 2014 production upside of Rasmus.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:58 am

rjforlife wrote:Colby Rasmus- Go watch some videos of him crushing the ball, he has great power and just enough speed. His BA will likely drop a bit, but if he can have a full healthy season he could hit 30 HR with 80 runs/RBI, a .265 avg and chip in 5 steals. He's not going to win you a league, but when everyone else is gambling on the hot new prospects, take the 2014 production upside of Rasmus.

Agreed. I've owned Rasmus in each of the last 2 seasons (Since June of 2012), and he is just an under the radar performer that will produce good power numbers at a pretty nice discount. The downside of Rasmus? There isn't much because you didn't spend much on him in the first place.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 368)

Postby Ehlana » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:06 pm

Breakouts/sleepers are a tough thing to analyze sometimes. There's a difference in a late round flyer returning mid round value and a mid round pick turning in a better season than expected. But both can be considered breakouts. Or maybe just a guy having one good season. I guess to really analyze whether or not a player breaks out we need to see what he does in subsequent years to see if the breakout was just a flash in the pan (coughbradyandersoncough).

Anyway, some guys I think might exceed their expectations this year:

C: Evan Gattis and Yan Gomes. Gattis should benefit from hitting in a pretty good Braves lineup, while Gomes should benefit from consistent playing time. And lets face it, the bar at catcher isn't exactly set high. Gattis is ranked as the 10th catcher at Fantasypros and I think he could end up top 5. Gomes is ranked as the 13th catcher but 70 spots overall lower overall. So Gomes in the 20th round or Gattis in the 15th? Either could be a good pick.

1B: Michael Cuddyer is their 21st ranked 1B with and overall ranking of 112, so a mid 10th round pick in a 12 team league. Not bad for a guy hitting in Coors that could go 280/80/25/100 and maybe a bit better than that if he (and the guys around him) avoid the DL. Most 1B though seem pretty established, there's a few bounce back candidates (Mark Teixeira anyone?) but only Jose Abreu seems to be the only real potential break out. And by the time draft season is in full swing his ADP might be in the 60's.

2B: Anthony Rendon and Omar Infante. Infante again isn't much of a break out but ranked 283rd and hitting 2nd in the KC lineup he should provide some profit. Rendon on the other could be a break out player if he manages to hold onto the 2B gig.

3B: Going to go with Nolan Arenado here. Honourable mention to Bogaerts. Manny Machado could also take another step forward if his leg is healthy and some of those doubles turn into homers.

SS: Bogaerts again. Segura had his breakout last year imo but Bogaerts in a good Boston lineup playing everyday should be useful. Not sure he'll have a sweet enough spot in the lineup to really put up big numbers though.

OF: Kole Calhoun and Khris Davis. Increased playing time is a prime factor in breakouts imo.

SP: Brandon Beachy perhaps. 2nd year back from TJ surgery lets see what he's got.
(\ _ /)
(='.'=)
(")_(")*
Ehlana
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Izenhart » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:22 pm

I hate posting in these threads while in a cafe slow draft but Jimmy Rollins is high on my bounce-back radar. I'm coughing up last year as Cliff-Leeitis.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:31 pm

Izenhart wrote:I hate posting in these threads while in a cafe slow draft but Jimmy Rollins is high on my bounce-back radar. I'm coughing up last year as Cliff-Leeitis.

Maybe it's a flaw, but I cannot give up on older players coming off down years. I feel like most people get way too caught up in the next big thing and let the older guys in line for bounce back seasons fall too far. I'll probably end up owning Pujols/Rollins/Aram in multiple leagues.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -57)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers