Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2014 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2014 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby Millhouse » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:42 am

Thayer or Quackenbush in SD if Benoit is traded?
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 151)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:35 pm

Millhouse wrote:Thayer or Quackenbush in SD if Benoit is traded?

Thayer short-term, Quake long-term.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 23)

Postby cardsfan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:01 am

datelin3 wrote:Feliz has no velocity and isn't throwing his fastball enough .. I would keep an eye on that situation before you drop Cotts or whoever else was in the running

Welcome back Feliz to the Rangers closer job. He's converted his first two save opportunities, but don't be fooled. He's not the man he used to be – his fastball averages 92 mph instead of 96 mph. He's a fly ball pitcher in a hitter's park, which doesn't add up so well. In 12.1 innings this season, he has just four strikeouts. The good news is his swinging strike rate, which is pretty healthy at 10 percent. Pitchers with a comparable rate usually strikeout an above average number of hitters.

Via Rotoworld
cardsfan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:23 pm

No Benoit, Paps trades. Maybe after the August waiver deadline, but til then, Giles/Thayer owners will have to either bite the bullet and hold on, or dump em for more parts.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:38 pm

Millhouse wrote:No Benoit, Paps trades. Maybe after the August waiver deadline, but til then, Giles/Thayer owners will have to either bite the bullet and hold on, or dump em for more parts.

Yeah, I'm a little bit surprised Benoit wasn't dealt since he's contract isn't so bad which can't be said about Paps. I'm thinking both get put on waivers with only Paps clearing it as I think Benoit will get put on but claimed by multiple teams and then pulled back.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:30 pm

Papelbon will clear waivers, Benoit won't. I'd hold on to Giles but no point keeping Thayer or Quackenbush.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 82)

Postby Millhouse » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:48 pm

Save speculators, jump on Familia...Mejia has a calf issue and now they're saying he's playing through a hernia. Just a complete guess, but my money's on them shutting him down, or at least a DL stint.

A little drama today (Monday) but still got the save.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:54 am

Eric O'Flaherty is expected to serve as the A's closer while Sean Doolittle (intercostal) is sidelined. SF Cron
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby Millhouse » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:35 pm

Benoit not sounding good....Quack

Padres closer Joaquin Benoit will be sidelined for at least a few days after experiencing more discomfort in his right shoulder, U-T San Diego reported Saturday. Kevin Quackenbush will handle the closer responsibilties until Benoit returns.

"It's all the same (discomfort)," Benoit said Saturday afternoon. "It was good for a couple of days. When I came back, I guess I didn't give it enough time for the inflammation to go away. We're trying to get everything to calm down and then start over."

Benoit was sidelined 11 days the last time he dealt with this injury. Manager Bud Black expects Benoit to pitch again this season, but he is unsure of when the right-handed reliever will return.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame