Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2014 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2014 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby cardsfan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:13 am

Havok1517 wrote:
cardsfan wrote:Any chance Quakenbush gets a shot at the closers role in SD?

Yeah, I could see the Padres giving Quake a chance if Benoit is dealt. If that happens, Thayer is an obvious placeholder until a true closer can be found and groomed for the future. Quakenbush has good numbers and may be entering that phase in his career where things are beginning to click some. I personally like large framed/bodied closers and Quakenbush has that over Thayer though Quake needs to continue to refine his fastball slider combo in order to make up for a so-so fastball but in that park that could be doable.

excellent info here
cardsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:20 am

Keep an eye on Ramos in MIA if Cishek is moved. Gregg also could be in the mix but he just hit the DL, Ramos just got back.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 151)

Postby datelin3 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:57 pm

I like Morris in Miami as the add
datelin3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 17)

Postby Millhouse » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:49 am

datelin3 wrote:I like Morris in Miami as the add

Fangraphs Bullpen Report, 7/22: Steve Cishek nailed down save 23 tonight against the Braves, allowing one hit while striking out two. The Marlins haven’t indicated that they are throwing in the towel, making some pieces available but scouts have been watching Cishek and lefty reliever Mike Dunn nonetheless. I’d be inclined to say that the Marlins will hold onto Cishek but if they could get the kind of haul that the Angels gave up for Street, they might have to consider moving him. In that scenario, look for A.J. Ramos to receive save opportunities.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby angels7777 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:40 pm

So who closes in Texas now that Soria has been traded?
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 346)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:52 am

angels7777 wrote:So who closes in Texas now that Soria has been traded?

I'm a little surprised by this trade. Not because it happened but when it happened. After Soria, the Rangers best relievers are likely Alexi Ogando and Tanner Scheppers but both are currently on the DL and unable to close with neither having a timetable to return.

Enter the candidates...

In truth, I'm a Soria owner, and quickly went out and added Neftali Feliz, to my roster in hopes that he would get the closing gig. Since Feliz has been back with the Rangers, he has pitched fairly well and likely holds the most upside and has the most closing experience. He is the hardest thrower active in the pen and at 6'3 225 lbs he has the body you want in a closer as well as the fastball/slider swing and miss combo so coveted in most relievers. He could have his ups and down, but is my personal pick for the job. Likelihood: 75%

Lefty Neal Cotts, at age 34, has provided a veteran presence in a bullpen that has suffered severely from injuries this season. Cotts, is 6'1 200 lbs and has reinvented himself with a cutter since being out of baseball just 2 years ago. He has 1 career save (2006) and has pitched decently since being thrust in regular pen duty with a nice 10.5 K/9 this season. He throws in the low 90's but lacks the upside you might want in a closer. Cotts and Ryan Feierabend are the only lefties in the pen, with Cotts being the only one that has pitched all season so moving him to closer might interfere with situational moves. Most closers aren't lefties which doesn't bode well for this chances. Likelihood: 15%

At 26, Shawn Tolleson, a 6'2 210 lbs righty, is being mentioned as another potential closing candidate. While being a righty works in his favor, Tolleson really hasn't pitch all the well with pedestrian 3.28 ERA. Tolleson had a decent July after having a forgettable June where he's had 2 bad tendencies, letting inherited relievers score and giving up the long ball. Tollleson doesn't throw that hard and you gotta think that if the Rangers had healthier options Tolleson might not even be on the roster. He's not the guy I would endorse. Likelihood: 5%

In-house darkhorse candidate Roman Mendez is basically a younger Neftali Feliz. At 6'3 190 lbs, the 23 year old throws serious bullets and has the presence on the mound you want to see. The right hander has the stuff and moxy but has pitched less than 10 innings this season so the high pressure 9th inning might not be his thing right now. The converted starter has also blown out his elbow twice the last two which counts against him as well. He could develop into a nice 1-2 punch with Feliz in the future. Likelihood: 5%

With the recent trade, I wouldn't be surprised if the Rangers promote relief prospect Wilmer Font from AA back to the show. Like Feliz and Mendez, Font throws hard and has a interesting fastball/splitter/slider combo. At 24, he is due to be a permanent fixture in the Rangers pen. Font has a durable right handed body at 6'4 265 lbs and could be a factor at some point so a wait and see approach is likely way to go here. Likelihood: 0%

Other possibilities: Phil Klein (AAA)
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby ensanimal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:23 am

I agree Feliz should get first shot. Rangers need to see if he can do it for next year I guess. If he can't, I'd like to see them try newly acquired Knebel and see what he can do. Crazy numbers in the minors.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: -152)

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:08 am

ROTOWORLD: Neftali Feliz is expected to take over as the Rangers' closer in the wake of the Joakim Soria trade. Soria was dealt to the Tigers on Wednesday night for right-handed pitching prospects Jake Thompson and Corey Knebel. Feliz is still working to regain his dominant raw stuff, but he owns a cool 2.61 ERA and 0.77 WHIP in 10 1/3 innings of relief since rejoining the Rangers' active roster on July 4. The 26-year-old right-hander needs to be owned in all standard fantasy leagues even though his save opportunities may be few and far between for a Rangers team that has clearly mailed it in.

FANGRAPHS: *Fangraphs “breaking news” chime* Reports are out that Rangers closer Joakim Soria has been traded to the Detroit Tigers for a package of prospects. Soria has posted fantastic numbers in 2014, thanks in large part to the return of his elite changeup. His 1.84 SIERA is 11th best among all qualified relievers, 7th among closers. While Joe Nathan has constantly been propped up by Brad Ausmus, the Detroit skipper is going to have an interesting decision on his hands. Nathan has the big contract and has not operated in a setup capacity recently. Soria’s contract is more reasonable and he has experience working out of the 7th and 8th innings. Nathan’s 3.40 SIERA isn’t great, but implies that he has been BABIPed (.333) and LOB%ed (64%) a bit more than you’d expect. But Soria is still the better pitcher. Who is the ninth inning guy? My gut tells me Nathan keeps the job for now, but his leash got dramatically shorter.

The situation in Texas is even more unclear. While Neal Cotts has been the better pitcher in 2014 (3.04 SIERA, 27% K%, 10% BB%), the recently recalled Neftali Feliz has the big arm that has seen the ninth inning before (years ago, though). The righty’s velocity has remained down in 2014 as he has struggled to regain his pre-Tommy-John fireball ability, leading to subpar rates. The sliver of hope? While his K% is a paltry 11%, his SwStr% is above-average at 10.7%, portending a forthcoming bump in the whiffs department. Even though Cotts is a lefty, he’s more than a LOOGY. He remains a potential ninth inning guy thanks to relatively good numbers against hitters of either handedness. However, it wouldn’t be altogether surprising to see Ron Washington turn to Feliz, even with a few red flags. Of course, a third possibility could be setup man Shawn Tolleson who has been steady, but not quite as good as Cotts in 2014 (3.44 SIERA, 23% K%). With the Rangers only likely to get another 10-15 save chances over the rest of 2014, there isn’t huge, earth-shattering upside here, but all three players should be scooped up. The dust should settle within a week or two.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby datelin3 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:26 pm

Feliz has no velocity and isn't throwing his fastball enough .. I would keep an eye on that situation before you drop Cotts or whoever else was in the running
datelin3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 17)

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:11 pm

datelin3 wrote:Feliz has no velocity and isn't throwing his fastball enough .. I would keep an eye on that situation before you drop Cotts or whoever else was in the running

He hit 96 mph the other night which isn't bad if he continues to throw his fastball with movement. We'll see if he can improve his strength or not.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame