Return to Cafe Hall of Fame

2014 CLOSERS THREAD

Re: 2014 CLOSERS THREAD

Postby converge241 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:23 pm

Im sure delabar would be in the conversation
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby silverZ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:54 pm

converge241 wrote:Im sure delabar would be in the conversation

Yea, I'd give Delabar the slight edge because of Santos' ugly experience in the closer role before he went on the DL last year. Santos is a much better long term option though.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby TheTrith » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Oh man wtf at Feliz.
All the reports I read from the past couple weeks were about how hes poppin 95+, but I guess those reports were just based off winterball, and not what hes actually doing right now.

That Texas situation looks like a mess now.
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby kab21 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:08 pm

silverZ wrote:

Yea, I'd give Delabar the slight edge because of Santos' ugly experience in the closer role before he went on the DL last year. Santos is a much better long term option though.

Money talks and Santos makes the money and if there's a chance to recoup some of their investment in Santos (prospects and cash) then I think they will give him a chance if he's pitching well.

I think you are exaggerating his 'ugly experience' as a closer last year. He gave up one HR, five hits and zero walks before going on the DL.
My website - The World Is Not That Big
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 108)

Postby silverZ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:29 pm

kab21 wrote:
silverZ wrote:

Money talks and Santos makes the money and if there's a chance to recoup some of their investment in Santos (prospects and cash) then I think they will give him a chance if he's pitching well.

I think you are exaggerating his 'ugly experience' as a closer last year. He gave up one HR, five hits and zero walks before going on the DL.

Yea, you're probably right. Last April was an ugly time as a Jays fan. Excuse my bias.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 50)

Postby Garry26 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:56 am

That's "Oh man I spent $X on this guy. Let me use him so I can explain the cost." I mean, unless you can show that he can close and then trade him so you can recoup or parlay the cash in some way, it's just about feeling better.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby chargerss24 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Thoughts on Jesse Crain closing in Houston? We have to declare our keepers here in just over a week and he's sitting on the bubble right now.
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Garry26 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:29 pm

chargerss24 wrote:Thoughts on Jesse Crain closing in Houston? We have to declare our keepers here in just over a week and he's sitting on the bubble right now.

He is hurt and will open the season on the DL, but will come off it quick. Last year when they played musical chairs with their closers, Fields got most of the chances. Word is Crain gets the job when he's back, but you know how it is: if a replacement does well, there's a good chance they keep the job.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 36)

Postby Izenhart » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:58 pm

I got to watch a lot of Jose Veras last year and he really impressed me. His stuff was filthy and he had great command, probably the best command of his career. If he has indeed learned to pitch and not just throw he should be this year's most undervalued closer IMO and a guy I am targeting late in all my drafts.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 163)

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:31 pm

Garry26 wrote:
chargerss24 wrote:Thoughts on Jesse Crain closing in Houston? We have to declare our keepers here in just over a week and he's sitting on the bubble right now.

He is hurt and will open the season on the DL, but will come off it quick. Last year when they played musical chairs with their closers, Fields got most of the chances. Word is Crain gets the job when he's back, but you know how it is: if a replacement does well, there's a good chance they keep the job.

With Crain likely injured, I think Qualls likely begins the season as the closer. I may do a write up on a few potential guys.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 24)

PreviousNext

Return to Cafe Hall of Fame